4K monitor and DAW issues

andrushkiwt

Just got a new LG 27" 4k monitor for my laptop. I am using Studio One 4 Pro.

Even with "enable DPI" scaling" checked, and with 3rd party plugins activating scaling, I am having major issues. It's almost unusable.

Stock plugins display properly without any additional modifications, but there is extreme bugginess to them. For example, sweeping with the stock parametric EQ causes intense audio and visual glitching and the EQ sweeper jumps and lags. Again, scaling is enabled and Windows 10 runs properly at 200% scaling otherwise... it's just this DAW and plugins that are having issues.

Anyone else successfully using a 4K UHD monitor for their DAW?

So your graphics card and processer have to be able to handle your upgrade. Did you check?

So your graphics card and processer have to be able to handle your upgrade. Did you check?
It meets the minimum requirements, so that's good at least. I just changed the Windows resolution back down to 1920x1080 ... things seem a little blurry but this is usable. The plugins now appear normally and can be used properly. So, no 4k. Any issues in just using this workaround? I will still use the 4K for the Xbox and can switch to it for online videos/movies etc... I'll just be switching to 1920x1080 for music... that sound like a decent plan?

It may meet minimum requirements but have you taken into account your DAW running at the same time and anything else?

Maybe run it all and check your processor usage to see if is near maximum.

I think it's a problem on an App to App (VST?) basis... Windows 10 w/ 200% scaling is a "workaround" for things that weren't created for higher res... I have this problem too, though I'm using a 4K TV as my main monitor... I'm running my Laptop into it using 38??x2160 [Recommended] resolution (the full 4K makes the task bar too small for me) and not every App works properly for me either.

It's your on board graphics. I have a new Dell XPS with i7 processor and 16 gb ram and ssd drive. The new Dell bogs down with 3 or 4 track FX windows up with an external monitor. My old work station I built in 2008 or so with an early i7 processor and the same ram smoked the new Dell even before I upgraded it to a ssd. The difference is the high dollar (for it's time) dual head graphics card. I built the computer to do mechanical design and solid modeling. I run two dell high res monitors and can have as many track FX widows open as I want, no problems. Both computers run 10 pro.

Back