488mk2-Hearing effects but not printing them to tape possible?

rpavich

I haven’t taken possession of my 488 mk2 yet, but I’m just trying to make sure I understand things before I start.

I’d like to record my whole band, it’s a four piece: drums, Bass, guitar, vocals, rhythm guitar.

What I’d like to do is have some reverb on the guitars and vocals while recording but not print the effect to tape, because I’d like to make decisions about that later on in mixdown.

Is that possible?

Found it in the User manual for the 424:

To hear reverb in the headphones but not record the reverb : Set the ASSIGN switch on the stereo channel being used for returning effects to the right/MON position, turning up the LEVEL

That's a neat feature - being able to your external reverb unit, but not have it appear on the record bus. It's been a while since I used one of these - we had a couple for students doing music technology back in the late 90s - and because they have more inputs than they can record - that was quite useful - but I remember students suffering if they didn't plan properly - you had to think carefully about what you'd record on the first 4 tracks, so you could add the rest and stay in sync. With a band - they just used to record the tracks they needed to be able to overdub. Some got it wrong, so tried to do the drums as overdubs - which rarely worked, timing wise. If the drums were down on the first recording, with the critical guitars, that usually worked and bass and vocals could be added much more easier. With DI'd bass, then bass could be recorded too. Their usual snag was the guitars bleeding into the drums and vice versa.

They were actually pretty reliable we found - we had a 688 too, and that was a nice machine for them to go to after mastering the '4' track

Back