424 mk2 vs mk3

mfdjuve

I want to upgrade from my 414, but MK2 OR MK3? I've read the review on this site, but it's not very conclusive.

So i've understood that the mk3 is,

lighter and smaller than the MK2

Are those two extra tracks actually fully functional, making the mk3 a 6 track essentially?

Are mk2's power adaptors always attached?

Any sound difference?

A toss up...

The mk2 has the built in power supply
The mk3 has the inline power module

The weight -all inclusive- is roughly the same

They are both 4 track recorders, no more & no less

The mk3 has the 2 extra full mixer channel strips which is handy, but they both have the same number of inputs overall

There are slight differences in the Monitor switching matrix, but it's minor and inconsequential at best

They should sound virtually the same

The mk2 has the inputs top mounted which is quite handy
The mk3 has the inputs on the back, but functions the same as the mk2

The mk2 has the built in power supply
The mk3 has the inline power module

The weight -all inclusive- is roughly the same

They are both 4 track recorders, no more & no less

The mk3 has the 2 extra full mixer channel strips which is handy, but they both have the same number of inputs overall

There are slight differences in the Monitor switching matrix, but it's minor and inconsequential at best

They should sound virtually the same

The mk2 has the inputs top mounted which is quite handy
The mk3 has the inputs on the back, but functions the same as the mk2

Thanks
I've read the weight difference is quite significant, but can't find actual measurements.

Anyway they seem to be around the same price second hand, which would you go for?

Oh and what Voltage adaptor does the mk3 uses?

I've got 2 mkII units, and personally, if I had to get one from the very get go, I'd go with the same. I'd hate to have to carry around yet another freakin' power supply. Just my opinion though.;) Aside from that, both are very capable machines, just minor differences in getting the job done.

looking at the back of a MK2 aren't there going to be a lot awkwardly bent cables from the 1/4" sockets?

What advice would you have on buying either from ebay?

My concern in the weight and size is that I return home to the UK in 6 months and don't want the extra size and weight in my suitcase.

I'm not sure if the attached power cable will cause issues, I do have voltage converters but then again probably better to be able to buy a new power adaptor to suite the Uk

They all look to be in pretty decent shape. The last one you posted up, the "black" one, must be a photoshop job or something. If you look at the photo showing a close up of the tape counter and controls, it is the typical gray color of the mkII.

I haven't had any problems with the way 1/4" cables bend on the top of the mkII. The only way I would foresee a problem is if there was tension of some sort applied to the cable, but any cable would suffer from that regardless of the machine it was connected to.

You have a valid point about the power supply and being in the UK. I'm not sure if there is a European model power supply to go to the 424 or not. Don't know much about the stuff on the other side of the pond.:p

I can't see there being a big weight difference between the mkII and mkIII. The mkII weighs about as much as a fully loaded laptop. About 10 - 12 lbs I am guessing. I don't have my manual handy as I have just moved and haven't unpacked all of those yet, so I can't say for sure what the exact specs are on the mkII.

The biggest worry in regards to buying something from ebay is having it shipped and it arriving in one piece, undamaged. Granted the 424 weighs considerably less than a reel to reel deck, but the concern still applies.

Good luck on whichever one you get. You won't regret either one.;)

thanks for the help!

One more question, what power supply does the mk3 use?
Is it easy to get a hold of one?

The 424mkIII power module...

The 424mkIII power module is hard to find separately, but not impossible. The catch maybe to find a UK standard version, which may be better sussed out on Ebay-UK.

I've purchased 2 424mkIII power modules in the past, which came in handy when I located matching 424mkIII units that lacked the PSU.

It is no longer an orderable item from Tascam,... but nonetheless it might not hurt to call Tascam Parts and inquire: (323) 727-4840.

Hang in there.:eek:;)

My friend,...

I was correct referencing the black 424mkIII was the standard issue for the Japanese market, which IMO looks totally sharp.

However, I see the auction referenced above is a 424mkII, in which case the unit is the standard grey and the dark look of it is
just a trick of the light.:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1Tascam 424mkIII BLACK.jpg
    1Tascam 424mkIII BLACK.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back