2016 LP Studios

Cheers, that's quite handy to know. So far I've only tried that one LP Studio and I liked it, so I'll keep trying a few different ones while also trying anything else interesting that I come across. It would be nice to get something semi-hollow as that really would be an alternative as opposed to just a backup.

Gotta get rid of this pair too:

View attachment 97142

One thing I forgot to mention, that PRS I tried had no balls whatsoever. I was playing through one of them Fender Supersonics, nice amp, set to crunch. Ideal with the LP, roll off the vol for cleans, bit of crunch with it on, some good leads on the bridge etc. The PRS was just completely clean on the same settings - was like a different amp, not just quite clean, really clean. OK, so there was some noice in the shop but there was no discernable breakup. By far the least pokey humbuckers I've come across.

I'm surprised that you're even considering a Les Paul. You hated them a few months ago. Lol.

I'm surprised that you're even considering a Les Paul. You hated them a few months ago. Lol.
I am as well actually. I suppose at 2 they don't make any sense. At 600 quid they make a lot of sense

On the lp studio, its the same wood as the expensive stuff.
I wouldnt hesitate to get one. Stuff like frets, fret ends and setup work is no big deal. As to protruding fret ends, its a normal occurrence. Wood expands and contracts at a different rate than metal.
When the fret ends stick out it means the wood has shrunk (contracted) this is the ideal time to have the edges dressed, this may take a time or two, but it will settle out and you'll have no issues.

Bottom line, you can dress up an lp, make it fancy with tops, binding, hardware, electronics etc, but the bones are pretty much all the same.

I dont know about now, but a few years back, even the custom shop didnt start out with anything special. They would just steal neck and body blanks from the regular production line and piss them off.
I have buddy that worked there. He was a hated man for stealing their stock. :D

They still do that. There's a Custom Shop boss guy that, every monday, goes out into the shop and rifles through all of the body and neck planks looking for choice wood grain and color. He literally shuffles through piles of raw wood looking for "Custom Shop" grade stuff and takes it away.

Hmm, old habits die hard I guess.

My buddy would lurk around the production shop, and often snag a nice one right before it went to paint.

Thats why he was hated. They'd let the production crew build it, then the custom shop would finish it off and take all the credit.
:D

Hmm, old habits die hard I guess.

My buddy would lurk around the production shop, and often snag a nice one right before it went to paint.

Thats why he was hated. They'd let the production crew build it, then the custom shop would finish it off and take all the credit.
:D

Wow, that's funny. :D

I wanted a Studio for years and always thought that's what I would end up with but then got lucky with what I got. I think if I did get a Studio no matter how it played or felt I would always regret not getting a "real" one with binding and such. I know none of that shit matters but it would a bit for my ocd mind. I dont even really have a real one I have a Traditional Pro II but its close enough I guess. I eventually want another one already though and Ive only had mine since August. However I would consider a Studio now that I have one that's close enough to a real one. Not that a Studio isnt a real one, its just not a real one lol. Fuck....enough useless typing for me.

I wanted a Studio for years and always thought that's what I would end up with but then got lucky with what I got. I think if I did get a Studio no matter how it played or felt I would always regret not getting a "real" one with binding and such. I know none of that shit matters but it would a bit for my ocd mind. I dont even really have a real one I have a Traditional Pro II but its close enough I guess. I eventually want another one already though and Ive only had mine since August. However I would consider a Studio now that I have one that's close enough to a real one. Not that a Studio isnt a real one, its just not a real one lol. Fuck....enough useless typing for me.

lol.
I have had a couple of "real ones", played them for years and eventually sold them. A while back I got a dark burst LP studio and when the drummer, who has played music with me for decades, first saw it he said "Damn, that's a good looking Les Paul!"
I said "well, it dosen't have the binding"
He said " Thank god! That's what makes Les Paul's look like shit. ...I hate that binding. This one, without that gawdy binding looks awesome though."

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I never new he thought my "real" Paul's looked like shit though.
LMAO

Lol. Dammit yall, if it's a Gibson Les Paul, it's a Les Paul. Real or not real only applies to clones and knock-offs.

Back