Les Pauls - I'm a convert(ish)

I seem to get it really bad. I don't spend frivolously though, I do really consider big purchases

At the moment, my working guitar has to be able to weather studded belts, spiked wristbands, slamming into mic stands, cabs and amps in cramped spaces, plus beer, sweat and the possibility of audience members crashing into me whilst pissed up and pogoing. (It also has to sound the dog's. ;) ) That is not an environment for a £1500 guitar. Besides, as far as I care, a £1500 electric guitar is no better than a £500 guitar. To me they're just an extravagance or a piece of personal jewellery, like a "wrist chronometer".

Maybe. All I know is a tuner is a simple worm gear mechanism, and that design will never slip unless something is wrong. You could have gone back with the exact same tuners and been fine.

Ah, I see! Good to know!

What is it then that makes cheaper guitars go out of tune so easily? The wood?

Ah, I see! Good to know!

What is it then that makes cheaper guitars go out of tune so easily? The wood?

Probably the nut and saddles. They have more to do with tuning stability than the tuner itself. A nut or saddle that binds or is cut poorly makes a guitar a real bitch to deal with.

And Les Pauls and SGs are probably the worst guitars around for tuning stability because of Gibsons headstock angle and design.

At the moment, my working guitar has to be able to weather studded belts, spiked wristbands, slamming into mic stands, cabs and amps in cramped spaces, plus beer, sweat and the possibility of audience members crashing into me whilst pissed up and pogoing. (It also has to sound the dog's. ;) ) That is not an environment for a £1500 guitar. Besides, as far as I care, a £1500 electric guitar is no better than a £500 guitar. To me they're just an extravagance or a piece of personal jewellery, like a "wrist chronometer".
Yeah, I can totally see that point of view. Especially if you're in that sort of environment playing a lot.

Do you just sit and play your guitar purely for the enjoyment of playing often? A genuinely really nice guitar makes that a lot more enjoyable.

You're right though, if you want a sound. 500 quid should get you there regardless of what you're chasing.

Yeah, I can totally see that point of view. Especially if you're in that sort of environment playing a lot.

Do you just sit and play your guitar purely for the enjoyment of playing often? A genuinely really nice guitar makes that a lot more enjoyable.

That's just it. All my guitars (Except, perhaps, my modded MDF-bodied Chord telecaster with a Jap 'bucker in the bridge - named "The Twatocaster") all play really nicely. Ironically, the two worst players out of the "good" guitars are my Fender Jag and my USA Fender tele.

But I'm no virtuoso. I'm a good bassplayer masquerading as a guitarist. :D

I'm kind of spoiled in that I decide which guitar I wanna play based on the venue. If I'm playing a place with a real stage and people can't run into me or my guitar on a stand, then I'll play my nicer guitars. If it's a smaller place where the stage is just off the floor and people are right in my face, I'll play the lesser guitars.

Look at Traditional Pros as well. I dont know about the og Trad Pro but the Trad Pro II and III have push/push pots for split coils and/or a 10db boost and have locking tuners plus binding and such. I have a 2014 Trad Pro II that just feels right for me, sounds great and looks baller. I love that thing. My buddy has a couple Epiphone LP Customs that are both much better than the Studios I have played, they feel better and look good. Of course, like all LP's, YMMV. I always thought I would get a Studio because really with the right guitar and pick ups a "real" LP would most likely only be marginally better feeling/sounding. But if I had a Studio I would always regret it and would still lust for the "real" thing.

Buy used. At least in the US market you can get a lot more guitar for the money. I have three and paid substantially less than new for all of them.

I don't know. All of my Gibsons have Klusons or Grovers and I have no complaints with any of them. To me, a tuner is a tuner. As long as it works it's fine. They don't slip unless they're broken. Locking tuners and all that shit are great for quick string changes, but they do nothing for tuning stability.

Even a 50 year old loose and wobbly tuner will hold tune if the nut is right and more importantly the guitar is strung up properly.
:D

Back