2 Track (stereo) reel to reel machine! Help me decide!!

A few pointers on analogue.
HiFi video recorders FM modulate the audio and record it 'under' the video signal. It is not 'analogue' in the sense that is referred to in this thread.
Cassettes run at 1 7/8 ips normally. Some 4 tracks run them at 3 3/4 ips.
1/4" half track recording often needs noise reduction, that is why Dolby 'A' and 'SR' were developed. Not so much for rock music, but anything with significant dynamics will suffer from noise on 1/4" standard.
Use Dolby A for low noise, least artifacts from the noise reduction, and still being able to get tape compression. SR stops tape compression. DBX never caught on for stereo masters as you can hear it working. It's OK for multitracking though.
Revox A77 or B77 is an excellent tape machine for mastering. A few mods to the electronics makes it better than most of the small Jap machines and you can still get parts. I have owned about 20 of them, as well as many other brands.
Dolby 361 A units are really cheap on ebay, make sure you get a manual, they need to be set up correctly.

To MARCUSWILSON

I have a Revox A77. I'ts a great machine. Old, but built like a
brick ####house and very reliable.

I know it's not part of this discussion but you mentioned mods
to improve the Revox. I would be very interested in any details
of mods that can be done.

I have already changed many of the electronic components on
the boards with better ones where possible. What else can be done to make the Revox even better ?.

Any info would be gratefully accepted.

Demto

Back