(2) 8-channel interfaces?

5stringer

Hello All - I have reached my capacity with my M-Audio Profire 2626 - 8 channel interface and was wondering if anyone has tried tracking with two of these at the same time?
I know you can daisychain (not sure if that is the correct term) up to 3 of these together - just never tried it. I want to be able to record the drum on 8 tracks
and guitars / bass on another few tracks. I have been weighing the possiblity of going with a 16 channel mixer instead - like the Mackie 1640i, but figured
it may be better and less costly to add another interface.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

There's no need for another audio interface; You can pick up an eight channel preamp unit with adat digital output instead.
The interface you have has two adat inputs, each capable of carrying eight channels of digital audio.

An absolute budget example would be the behringer ada8000.
Presonus digimax d8 is an other slightly more expensive option, and the older focusrite octopre le models are out there on the used market for reasonable money.

There's no need for another audio interface; You can pick up an eight channel preamp unit with adat digital output instead.
The interface you have has two adat inputs, each capable of carrying eight channels of digital audio.

An absolute budget example would be the behringer ada8000.
Presonus digimax d8 is an other slightly more expensive option, and the older focusrite octopre le models are out there on the used market for reasonable money.

OH - OK - so the Presonus Digimax isn't an interface, just an 8-channel mic preamp used for expansion only? This is a much cheaper option than another Profire 2626. What kind of issues may I encounter with integrating Presonus with M-Audio? Is the configuration done in the M-Audio mixer screen? I'm not quite sure how to setup the signal
flow so all 16 channels appear in my DAW. :(

OH - OK - so the Presonus Digimax isn't an interface, just an 8-channel mic preamp used for expansion only?

That's right. There's a few out there. Analog audio in - Digital audio out.

No configuration should be needed.
Your daw should currently list your 8 built in mic preamps, plus 32 channels of adat input.
If you plugged in a presonus in via adat, your computer won't know what it is. It'll still just say 'adat 1+2', 'adat 3+4' etc as before.

I have a motu 828 mk2 that lists
analog 1+2
analog 3+4
analog 5+6
analog 7+8
adat 1+2
adat 3+4
adat 5+6
adat 7+8

but I have no adat hardware.

Yep. More good advice from Steeno.

I just recently upgraded to two Steinberg UR824's. The second one connects to ADAT. It allows for another 8 channels of ADAT input (total of 24 tracks). I am looking to add another 8 tracks of Line inputs, but it looks like there is not much out there in the cheap range for Line input only units with ADAT outs. It ends up being a $2000+ expense to find a unit that does not have preamps, and AD conversion only. Funny how that works...

Go with the ada8000, Jim.
A lot of people gurn about the preamps, but it gets decent compliments as conversion-only.

Yep. More good advice from Steeno.

I just recently upgraded to two Steinberg UR824's. The second one connects to ADAT. It allows for another 8 channels of ADAT input (total of 24 tracks). I am looking to add another 8 tracks of Line inputs, but it looks like there is not much out there in the cheap range for Line input only units with ADAT outs. It ends up being a $2000+ expense to find a unit that does not have preamps, and AD conversion only. Funny how that works...

The UR824's are interfaces - no? Is there any advantage to running (2) interfaces together as opposed to one interface and one (8) channel mic pre?

Go with the ada8000, Jim.
A lot of people gurn about the preamps, but it gets decent compliments as conversion-only.

The issue is, you are not bypassing the preamps with the ADA8000. I have preamps that I wish to get the best from. I really don't need another 8 input tracks. I just want to get the best possible input from my external Pre's. The nice thing about the UR824's is that it has a -26 Db pad on the line inputs, so it compensates for the input level. Though it still runs through the preamp. Even though this is working, and not considered a bad thing necessarily, I want to make sure I get the most direct signal possible.

I suppose I have GAS. lol

The UR824's are interfaces - no? Is there any advantage to running (2) interfaces together as opposed to one interface and one (8) channel mic pre?

Yes, they are. But the second can be ran as a slave unit. It still provides DSP effects on input channels, but only one is connected via USB.

The reason I went with two, was to insure that it would work seamlessly with Cubase. I am done dealing with incompatibility issues. The Tascam US1800 control panel would not change buffer settings with Cubase 7 update.

Still, as long as your interface has ADAT input, it cares less about what is feeding it. Though I am not sure about word clock stuff. I suppose that could be an issue. IDK. I just purchased the two units so I don't have to worry about that crap. :)

Yes, they are. But the second can be ran as a slave unit. It still provides DSP effects on input channels, but only one is connected via USB.

The reason I went with two, was to insure that it would work seamlessly with Cubase. I am done dealing with incompatibility issues. The Tascam US1800 control panel would not change buffer settings with Cubase 7 update.

Still, as long as your interface has ADAT input, it cares less about what is feeding it. Though I am not sure about word clock stuff. I suppose that could be an issue. IDK. I just purchased the two units so I don't have to worry about that crap. :)

I understand what you are saying completely! I hate that #$@! too! I'm running Cubase 7 also and use my Profire 2626 but am needing additional inputs. I was considering another Profire 2626 for the same reason you bought 2 UR824's. The Octopre is enticing simply because I can find one used for less than $400. I wonder if I wouldn't be better off finding another Profire instead?

Well, at least then if one went down, you would still have 8 channels when it happens. Some food for thought.

Is there any advantage to running (2) interfaces together as opposed to one interface and one (8) channel mic pre?
I can't think of any.
If anything, there are potential disadvantages of running two interfaces,
but then as Jim says...You've got two interfaces. :p

The issue is, you are not bypassing the preamps with the ADA8000.
I suppose I have GAS. lol
Ahh, I didn't realise that.
No good. :facepalm:

I can't think of any.
If anything, there are potential disadvantages of running two interfaces,
but then as Jim says...You've got two interfaces. :p

Ahh, I didn't realise that.
No good. :facepalm:

Yeah, there are no available Line input only devices out there, until you hit around $1700. Kind of strange that Behri has not cornered the market there...

That looks very interesting, and I am sure I could pull it off, though not feeling like it would be best choice in a home mod Behri anything... I am looking to get the most from my $1800 preamp. I would not trust in something that was 'Jimmy-rigged'. lol!

Yeah, fair enough.lol.
The digimax FS has insert points which should be a genuine preamp bypass. That might be worth a google.
Bit of a waste of money though. I guess you're paying for the XMAX pres.

There's stuff out there that can be used in standalone. The motu 2408 is a full blown interface, but I think you can just use it as a converter.

I remember reading something about Aphex converters being reasonably priced. I don't remember much about that.

Again, you'd need to google this, but I think the old DAT recorders can be used as converters.
They're pretty cheap to get these days, as long as you don't mind taking up an entire cupboard!! :p

Well, at least then if one went down, you would still have 8 channels when it happens. Some food for thought.

I checked EBAY and it appears I may be able to get another Profire 2626 for around the same price as a new Octopre. These units have dual firewire
ports. I don't think those allow me to link the two units together, correct? Still need to link them via ADAT ??? Not sure why they would have two firewire
ports....

Back