1” 30ips MRL Calibration tape for trade for 15ips version

Hi! I have a 30ips 1” MRL calibration tape for my Tascam Ms-16 machine (my tape works with any 30 inch per second 1 inch tape machine).

I plan to switch my machine to 15 ips so I was wondering if anyone wants to trade calibration tapes?

I need a 1 inch wide 15 inch per second calibration tape.

Thank you for those charts! I’m still interested in a trade if somebody wants to though.

Do you know if it would be IEC1 (most likely) or NAB IEC2? The IEC1 chart shows that all the VU will still be 0, which is very convenient. The NAB IEC2 shows VU readings all over the range.

From The Article linked:

“At 15 in/s — the most commonly used professional speed — the
equalizations are the most confusing:
8-track recorders on 1⁄2 inch tape, and 16- and 24-track record- ers on 1 inch tape almost always use IEC = IEC1;
for all other widths and track configurations,
NAB = IEC2 is mostly used in US, and
IEC = IEC1 (= CCIR = DIN Studio) is mostly used in Europe.”

Your best bet...contact MRL...and tell them the exact tape you have, and ask which conversion would get you where you want to go, or if it's possible with your tape.

mrltapes@comcast.net

408-227-8631

+1 to just contacting MRL and asking them, but the MS16 at 15ips utilizes the IEC1 EQ curve, not NAB. HTH.

Hi! I have a 30ips 1” MRL calibration tape for my Tascam Ms-16 machine (my tape works with any 30 inch per second 1 inch tape machine).

I plan to switch my machine to 15 ips so I was wondering if anyone wants to trade calibration tapes?

I need a 1 inch wide 15 inch per second calibration tape.

Believe it or not you can use that 30ips AES tape directly for 15ips IEC with no compensations needed at all. Check the MRL website, it is mentioned there.

Regards

David Ollard
Thin Brown Line

Believe it or not you can use that 30ips AES tape directly for 15ips IEC with no compensations needed at all. Check the MRL website, it is mentioned there.

Regards

David Ollard
Thin Brown Line

You know...I glanced over that quickly in the MRL notes...and I thought that's what they were saying, but I didn't quite register it.
Basically, for that scenario...they say at either speed, it will be flat.

Table 5-1 For any Calibration Tape and any Desired Playback
among the following three speeds and equalizations,
there is NO correction required: the response is flat.
30 in/s AES (IEC2)
15 in/s IEC (IEC1)
7.5 in/s IEC (IEC1)
You can play any of these Calibration Tapes at any of these speeds,
set the reproducer equalizers for flat response, and have a correct
calibration.

Only thing...the OP didn't really say he had a 30ips AES tape...he just said 30ips.

Back