Heat and humidity

Back in 2000 when I visited the UK, I spent a couple of days in Scarborough. The first night walking along the shore, I was freezing. The temperature was down in the 40s (7 or 8C) with a fairly stiff breeze. This was the middle of August. I had no idea it would be that cool, so all I had were short sleeve shirts.

The following week in Chester, it was just a few degrees warmer, so l ended up buying a light jacket. I think I left the windows of the hotel open the entire time because it was so pleasant. Plus the week was mostly rain free. I took the train up to Liverpool on Sunday and walked the city wall around Chester on bank holiday, .

Returning home, I went up to see my son's football practice, and it was over 90F. It felt like I was in a sauna!

This year has actually been somewhat mild. They said that we have only had 7 days above 90 so far. Last year we had already been that hot 26 days, and one day was over 100. The weather has been great for the golf courses, the greens are in great shape!

Palm springs is 90 miles away from me...they be cookin for the next few days...but it's a dry heat LOL!

View attachment 131274

Ya know yesterday around noon it was 96 here in Covina and ya know what? It really wasn't all that bad, actually kind of bitchin..Of course that is just walking in it for a few minutes from my air conditioned house to the back yard...But yeah a very dry and temperate heat indeed...California dreaming....

Ya know yesterday around noon it was 96 here in Covina and ya know what? It really wasn't all that bad, actually kind of bitchin..Of course that is just walking in it for a few minutes from my air conditioned house to the back yard...But yeah a very dry and temperate heat indeed...California dreaming....
I spent some time in Glendale back in '67. Beautiful, sunny and dry with low humidity as I recall. Stayed with an aunt and uncle, and first thing my uncle did was take me to a barber shop to get my long hair shaved down to a crew cut for our upcoming weeks-long excursion into Baja. Just incredibly nice weather that summer.

Reactions: TAE
Still okay here in SW Va. not too hot, not too cold. Some humid days, some not. Not too many rainy days. Mostly thunderstorms now and then. Nothing to write home about.

Did you hear about the govt plans to phase out those harmful refrigerant gases to be replaced with as of yet to be determined less harmful alternatives? Might be a good thing, might not. Seems you should have an alternative before phasing out what you already have that does the job of preventing people getting sick or dying from heat. Maybe it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. I can't say for certain, and realistically speaking I don't think anyone else can either. Expert and "the science" consensus has proven to be not altogether on the up and up, and chocked full of pressure tactics and censorship(and defunding) of anyone who doesn't toe the line. All I do know is that it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter, interior climate control is essential for the health and wellbeing of the people, now.

The automotive industry switched refrigerants about 30 years ago, but so much old R12 had been manufactured and stored that it's still in use, though not legally. My 22 year old car has R134a and I believe that's being phased out for R1234yf - wacky numbers. I had the compressor replaced several years ago by a friend who operates an auto repair business out of his home garage, and I'm pretty sure he didn't recycle any of my refrigerant - just vented it to the atmosphere. To make things worse, he didn't get one of the o-rings properly seated before recharging and all the new refrigerant went - you guessed it - straight into the atmosphere.

While you guys are benefitting from global warming, we're lamenting a breezy, wet, sometimes cold, lame July, here in London. This time last year was 40 degrees and they had to close schools !
What a difference a year makes.

The automotive industry switched refrigerants about 30 years ago, but so much old R12 had been manufactured and stored that it's still in use, though not legally. My 22 year old car has R134a and I believe that's being phased out for R1234yf - wacky numbers. I had the compressor replaced several years ago by a friend who operates an auto repair business out of his home garage, and I'm pretty sure he didn't recycle any of my refrigerant - just vented it to the atmosphere. To make things worse, he didn't get one of the o-rings properly seated before recharging and all the new refrigerant went - you guessed it - straight into the atmosphere.

When I got my first refrigeration service job just after turning 19 in 1988 - R12 was on the chopping block at that time but was still cheap and ubiquitous. While it had a nasty ODP (ozone depletion potential) it was a great refrigerant given it's unique condensing, boiling, and specific heat (Cp) properties. Which is why it was found in every domestic refrigerator, every automobile with A/C, and most commercial coolers and refrigeration equipment for decades. There were a number of drop-in replacements - R409A being the one that I preferred. And, of course, R134A became the follow up refrigerant for all of those same applications.

I didn't expect R410A (replacement for R22) to come and go all in the time frame of my career - but it seems that will likely be the case. R32 looks like it will be the go to in that it has a much lower GWP than that of R410A - and it's properties cause it to be a more energy efficient refrigerant. One red-flag issue with R32 is that it is flammable. Given that the current method for connecting refrigerant piping is high-temp brazing which requires an acetylene torch - new methods are being rolled out as R32 and open flames will not work well together. So yeah.... we'll see how that goes.:eatpopcorn:

It’s summer. It’s hot. Sometime it’s hotter, sometimes it’s not.

End of story.
Reality isn't allowed here. You didn't receive the memo? All those wild 🔥 in Canada aren't helping. And Dave sits back doing nothing!

Here in Florida this time of year, the R134a in my car is barely keeping up with the daily 91-94ºF temps. It's not nearly as chilling as the old R12. A Virginia State Trooper I used to sell parts to kept a thermometer stuck in his cruiser's A/C vent. He would tell me how he had their shop charge his (R12 at the time) system to where the thermometer read in the 30ºF's.

While you guys are benefitting from global warming, we're lamenting a breezy, wet, sometimes cold, lame July, here in London. This time last year was 40 degrees and they had to close schools !
What a difference a year makes.
There was a story in the news here recently (about 1-2 months ago) that showed several of those royal guards with the tall kooky hats passed out from heat exhaustion - or something to that effect. And then they showed the paramedics who ran in to assist the fallen.... and the paramedics had crazy hot clothing on as well! I thought.... man.... those paramedics are going to need paramedics.:LOL:

Here in Florida this time of year, the R134a in my car is barely keeping up with the daily 91-94ºF temps. It's not nearly as chilling as the old R12. A Virginia State Trooper I used to sell parts to kept a thermometer stuck in his cruiser's A/C vent. He would tell me how he had their shop charge his (R12 at the time) system to where the thermometer read in the 30ºF's.
It's actually true.... a fact.... that R12 systems blow a little colder than R134A systems. If I recall correctly - it's like a 5-6F difference.

I'm pretty sure, in most new vehicles, they over come this with a slight increase in the capacity of the system.

Back