Heat and humidity

We're catching a break here in Central Florida. Day temps have dropped into the mid-high 80's and nights from the mid-high 80's to 70's and 60's (coming soon 60's already!). The humidity cracked and provided clear, breathable air.

I think Texas has always been hot.
That's absolutely true. I've been here 28 years and can testify. It's also true that not only has it gotten hotter on average over that same period - but particularly the last 15 or so. And 3 out of 15 of the all time record high temperatures were from this past summer alone. It was unusual, to say the least. The summer of 2023 is the second hottest summer, on average, ever recorded here in the Dallas area.

Last edited:
We finally got some nice rain yesterday. Now I have to go cut the grass, dammit. Didn't really need to all summer, which is good because I wasn't going out in that heat to mow the damn lawn.

I think Texas has always been hot. I did drive an old Dart without A/C for a couple of summers. It can be done, but not recommended.
When I was in Chick-A-Go for the Pink Floyd DSM concert up at Brewer's Stadium, we spent the summer scooting around between Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin in a '72 Dodge Dart wit' nuff'in in it. Man! Good thing it wasn't humid.

Last edited:
When I was in Chick-A Go for the Pink Floyd DSM concert up at Brewer's Stadium, we spent the summer scooting around between Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin in a '72 Dodge Dart wit' nuff'in in it. Man! Good thing it wasn't humid.
That was the way they sold cars back then. Still in Texas, I sold Fords. l' boy comes in and wants a truck. (he says don't try to up sell me, OK) Now we had a truck for about $7K new. F100 or F150, can't remember, but full size truck. However, straight 6, no A/C, no headliner, rubber mat flooring, roll down windows, straight 4 or 5, not sure on the floor, plate where the radio goes. In other words, just truck, kind of like a fleet deal.

The guy looked at the truck, looked around the lot, after about 6-7 hours of looking, he buys the fully loaded XLT Lariat on the show room floor. I never even showed him that truck.

That is when I left the car business, moved on :)

I had a '74 F100 4x2 as my work truck in '74-76 - pretty much the way you described it, except it had A/T and a radio. When It snowed, I'd load it up with bags of fleet snow chains to keep the rear end down. I wish I had that truck today. So many people would pay good money for a basic truck like that - if the manufacturers would just produce them.

I had a '74 F100 4x2 as my work truck in '74-76 - pretty much the way you described it, except it had A/T and a radio. When It snowed, I'd load it up with bags of fleet snow chains to keep the rear end down. I wish I had that truck today. So many people would pay good money for a basic truck like that - if the manufacturers would just produce them.
Trucks are so bling today... So bling it's like you just don't want to use it as a... ya know... truck!

Trucks are so bling today... So bling it's like you just don't want to use it as a... ya know... truck!
I am thinking of doing some US travel in the next couple of years, I was thinking truck and a travel trailer. The starting price of a new truck is around $50K. At that price I wouldn't throw sh*t in the back either.

Autumn has arrived. Leaves are turning color and a few are starting to fall. That just means that the golf balls will be a bit harder to find. Time to pull up the tomato plants.

forecast.jpg

Wow, that does sound like an intense heatwave you've been experiencing in North Texas! It's interesting to hear that even someone in the air conditioning business felt the impact.

Having access to a pool nearby during scorching days must be a lifesaver! It's a great way to cool down and beat the heat.

If you ever need tips or insights on keeping your home comfortable during extreme weather, don't hesitate to reach out to experts like those at top-energy-solutions.com. They can provide valuable information and solutions to help you stay cool and energy-efficient.

Last edited:
Back