Heat and humidity

Reality isn't allowed here. You didn't receive the memo? All those wild 🔥 in Canada aren't helping. And Dave sits back doing nothing!
Hey man... I'm doing my bit!
I'm drinkin' beer like crazy so I can piss on the fires...
Hosers gotta do what hosers do...

If you look at the actual official average global surface, sea, and atmospheric temperature measurement records as recorded by the officials that do that sort of thing you'll find that temperatures have actually been falling no matter what time frame you look at - 10 year average, 20 year average, 40 year average. We are actually in a cooling phase - not warming.

If you look at the actual official average global surface, sea, and atmospheric temperature measurement records as recorded by the officials that do that sort of thing you'll find that temperatures have actually been falling no matter what time frame you look at - 10 year average, 20 year average, 40 year average. We are actually in a cooling phase - not warming.

Okay, you win.

Maybe we’re finally heading into that ice age that they threatened in the 70s.

A little late, don’t you think? :-)

Hey, aren’t we all supposed to be dead now according to Greta?

I wish I could get closer so they would be more visible... I tried zooming but it just gets blurry.

But I haven't see this before.... It's about 104F out there right now. Where you see the two arrows - there are two squirrels splayed out spread eagle with their undersides flat on the mulch. We watered heavily last night - so I presume that they are doing this to keep cool. lol never seen that.

20230803_164031.jpg

It's called splooting. It's usually done on hard, cool surfaces. Dogs do it, too. I had a Pug that would sploot on our tile-covered concrete floor at work - a very cool place.

splooters.jpg

s4.jpg

Last edited:
Scorcher today. And yesterday.

View attachment 131472
Its hot.jpg

This shit has not let up. Had a couple of short periods in July and August when it dipped down below 100F. But it has been relentless here in my neck of the woods. I think the weather guy said this morning that we're on track for the second hottest summer on record here - 1980 being number one. '98 was a brutally hot one. So was '11 and '12.

Going to visit our son in Glenwood Springs, CO (near Aspen) in late September. I can't wait to get the fuck out of this oven.

Man, those temps are brutal. That would just make me stay inside.

It was 94 here today, with a dew point reaching 73. More tomorrow, and Thursday and Friday are predicting 98 degrees. I'm supposed to play golf Thursday afternoon. I might have to spring for a cart... walking 4 hours in the heat might be a bit too much.

A "cold front" is supposed to come through late Friday or Saturday and drop the temp to around 90 for the weekend.

I haven't had AC in my truck for years. I filled it once, it had leaked out by the following summer. I never bothered to fill it again. Not really much
of a problem for me?

Not long after I moved to Florida, I had to buy some transportation for my new job. I bought an '82 Chevy C10 from a college kid. He had put a little work into it and sold it to me for some small profit. He had replaced the engine and trans with a crate 350 and THM350. Blocked off all the heater hoses and did not reinstall the radio or A/C. Exactly what I needed and wanted. Oddly, it wasn't the lack of A/C I minded, it was the lack of a heater. The winter season produced some freezing temps which required me to wear my L.L.Bean 3/4 length parka rated to -80F. Freezing on the way to work. . . 89F on the way home. Crazy.

Not long after I moved to Florida, I had to buy some transportation for my new job. I bought an '82 Chevy C10 from a college kid. He had put a little work into it and sold it to me for some small profit. He had replaced the engine and trans with a crate 350 and THM350. Blocked off all the heater hoses and did not reinstall the radio or A/C. Exactly what I needed and wanted. Oddly, it wasn't the lack of A/C I minded, it was the lack of a heater. The winter season produced some freezing temps which required me to wear my L.L.Bean 3/4 length parka rated to -80F. Freezing on the way to work. . . 89F on the way home. Crazy.
I hear you. My late model F150 had the damper actuator fail last year (resulting in no heat) and it was a while before I could get it repaired. I can't decide which is worse - driving when it's freezing (literally) or driving when it's 105F. No sir - I don't care for either of those situations.

I remember riding my motorcycle home from work when the temps are in the upper 90s-100s and the heat was radiating off the asphalt. You would think that the breeze would cool things down, but it was more like someone blowing a hair dryer at your face!

I remember riding my motorcycle home from work when the temps are in the upper 90s-100s and the heat was radiating off the asphalt. You would think that the breeze would cool things down, but it was more like someone blowing a hair dryer at your face!
Absolutely - I've got a pair of CRF250L's that I typically ride a lot in the summer months. But when it gets above 100F - no way. There's nothing refreshing about it. Like standing in front of a blast furnace. And I don't like riding in shorts and a t-shirt - makes me nervous.

I did drive from Denver to Fort Collins in a cold spell in the dead of winter in a VW Squareback with no heat. I'll take no AC over no heat any day.
I don't know if my feet ever got any colder and how they didn't get frostbite!

Well, that was one for the books. Right through yesterday - 108F here at the house. Holy shit what a scorcher of a summer. Hit number four on the list of summers with days over 100F here locally.

But it looks like that's is for the brutal extremes. Rain and low 80's this next week - and then we're off to Glenwood Springs, CO for the entire following week.

Good riddance to the hell oven.

Back