Age - when does it become a problem?

It really depends on what you are judging the mix on. If you are judging it compared to what is currently on the radio, then that may not be your taste and you may have a hard time doing it.

If you are judging it on the mixes ability to convey the emotions that you set out to, that is probably something you can work on.

If you are judging it on how accurately you captured the source. If you are falling short, you need to go back to the techniques you used to use.

Age is definitely worse for shredders and most vocalists.
On the otherhand I think I'm better at finding my voice on an instrument as I get older.
I've heard that young people are better with rhythm, and older people are better with the tone.
I can see that in younger players.

I am 65 and just recently retired. As a player my hands are not what they once were but as a recordist my mixes are better than they ever were and I attribute that to spending more time recording and honing my ears.

Reactions: TAE
Being 70 and having worked in machine shops and standing next to 100 watt amps on stage for over fifty years I have a tendency to
have other people listen to anything I mix. I wouldn't trust my ears to get it right.

The greatest factor to me is the song and artist/s itself. Great songs are what they are and are good because of the song, and not so much the recording itself.
That is it in a nutshell. I would rather listen to a bad mix of Imagine than a great mix of Seasons in the Sun or McArthur Park.
One reason I don't worry about the mix too much, all my songs are great lol.

That is it in a nutshell. I would rather listen to a bad mix of Imagine than a great mix of .
One reason I don't worry about the mix too much, all my songs are great lol.
Totally agree that a shitty recording of a great song is always going to be better than a stellar recording a song that sucks. I mean if I was stuck on an island and had to pick 10 songs that I get to bring with me Seasons in the Sun or McArthur Park would not be on my list but I don't cringe when I hear them. The orchestral stuff in Mac Park is pretty cool...The lyrics leave me a bit baffled as to WTF?

Age is definitely worse for shredders and most vocalists.
Well, I can't sing the high notes like I used to and I don't play as fast so I agree with that. When I think about it though, I may not play as fast but the notes I play are definitely more meaningful (soulful?) than when I was young. Back then I think I was mostly just trying to impress people with how fast I could play. I also agree that as I age I know what I can do well and gravitate to that.

Speaking with my guitarist from the band I played in the 70's recently, he's 64 and really frustrated with himself. Likewise our drummer from that band is equally frustrated ( I think he's 66). They both have back problems and seem to be getting sloppy in their playing...of course sloppy is subjective...these asshats are technicians. Me I was born with a strong back and a weak mind...Moving all the pianos and organs as a teen, lugging the M3 and the leslie to all those gigs...Being a tile setter for 20+ years. Lugging keyboard equipment around ( much lighter these days) for the last 15 and I really still at almost 69 don't have any aches or pains...OK I'm big boned / sturdy...Sasquatchian in a Neanderthalian way. Yep I have that knob at the bottom of my skull where it meets the spine :eek: My only issue is memory and it comes n goes as to how it fails me or not.. I'll ride the waves till I can't take the wipeouts anymore but I'm still standing.....for now :sick:

But, if less is more, just think how much more MORE would be
And how much more attractive than less, more could be. Less could be really boring and uninspired. More could get you humming with joy ! And bopping that leg while shaking that head. In fact, there could be a whole lot of shaking going on with more. And frustration at the laziness of less. :ROFLMAO:

Back