realtime Microphone Gating and compression

dumnone

I found the dbx 286s can do all this but besides being able to gate and compress my mic, I want it to have a mic line level out so I can use it with my mic splitter.

Does something like this exist? If not, would you need a di box to make the modified mic line level signal back into a mic level signal?

Never seen a splitter that can't do different levels - I wonder if we are missing something here?
Yes, I didn't say the input I was using.
I am using a dynamic headset mic with a fethead to monitor an output from the splitter with a Rolls PM60. The splitter also sent a mic signal to external aux input soundcard. The soundcard functionally works, I use it to transcribe with, but it would work better if I could cut down the noise I am hearing in the PM60 I think. The noise is coming from a medical device I got to have on me, otherwise the noise wouldn't exist. Knowing the dbx 286 has only line level outs, I tried a line level signal into the soundcard input but it didn't work. So that's why I wondered if there was a gate / compressor for a mic signal.
I looked online and apparently there isn't, but I figured I would ask here.

Last edited:
Wait, what soundcard are you using? A proper audio interface will take line level input and give you headphone monitoring options. I don't see why you're using that Rolls device.

Wait, what soundcard are you using? A proper audio interface will take line level input and give you headphone monitoring options. I don't see why you're using that Rolls device.
If I used an interface, I wouldn't be able to use it as an input or output because I don't have administrator privileges on the computer I use with the soundcard, with the computer being company property and all. I don't know what kind of soundcard it is. I can open it though and send you this pic.

I do have access to my own computer as well, though don't know if that would enable the interface to work with this soundcard on this other computer.

Attachments

• 20220530_171833.jpg
    20220530_171833.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
My devices don't need administrator privileges? There are so few decent real internal sound cards nowadays that don't buzz and sound strange without severe tweaking.

If I used an interface, I wouldn't be able to use it as an input or output because I don't have administrator privileges on the computer I use with the soundcard, with the computer being company property and all. I don't know what kind of soundcard it is. I can open it though and send you this pic.

I do have access to my own computer as well, though don't know if that would enable the interface to work with this soundcard on this other computer.
The board has a manufacturer date of 2008, and it appears a realtek chip. Realtek were not making very good chips at that time, they have improved a lot in the years since.

Anyway, any older usb sound device like that can't be very good. It's possible you could upgrade the usb sound to something more robust that has the monitoring features you want, then maybe route the input signal through some computer software for the gate (assuming the newer usb sound doesn't come with that effect/control).

I follow most of this, and think I understand the need for the gate, but it's also possible with a newer, shielded/grounded usb device the interference would vanish as it won't be as susceptible to the effects of the device causing the noise(?). Sometimes you just have to buy the right tool for the job, rather than learn black smithing to forge the tool.

The board has a manufacturer date of 2008, and it appears a realtek chip. Realtek were not making very good chips at that time, they have improved a lot in the years since.

Anyway, any older usb sound device like that can't be very good. It's possible you could upgrade the usb sound to something more robust that has the monitoring features you want, then maybe route the input signal through some computer software for the gate (assuming the newer usb sound doesn't come with that effect/control).

I follow most of this, and think I understand the need for the gate, but it's also possible with a newer, shielded/grounded usb device the interference would vanish as it won't be as susceptible to the effects of the device causing the noise(?). Sometimes you just have to buy the right tool for the job, rather than learn black smithing to forge the tool.
For whatever reaaon a different soundcard wouldnt work. I am having better success with the mic as it is today by adjusting my posture so the mic does not pic up the npise from my medical device.

That being said, I ordered a used dbx 266xs that may at least remove the noise from other inputs I have my splitter attached to. It may replace my Rolls PM60 as well.

Back