Sound treatment around the drums

manuel_vdn

Newbie here, so feel free to redirect me to another thread if this is a question that's been tackled already.

I’m building a 2-room DIY rehearsal space/mini-studio in my basement. Biggest shortcoming is the height of the ceiling. The room is only about +/- 210cm high. With only some bass traps, carpet underneath and walls of plywood the drums ring out quite a bit, some guitar frequencies even make some parts of the drum vibrate and rattle. I’m trying to fix this, but wondering if what I'm planning to do is a good idea, so:

The drums will be placed as shown in the plan below, it's a view from the top, apart from the drums, those are hard to draw from that angle. To reduce a bit of reflections I’m planning to fill both the sides next to the drums (marked on the plan) and ceiling (above the drums) with acoustic foam panels like this. Apart from the corners which will have bass traps. Is this a good idea? What should I keep in mind? What would be a better, not too expensive, option?

293587982_835957057368930_8417690609468397748_n.jpg

They have acoustic shields for drums however it's almost impossible to avoid resonance from drums (esp snare rattle) with amps in the same room. I would look to do at much damping at the drums as possible.

You could just stick carpet around the drum end of the room.
My drum room (Esmono Booth) is 220cm high, and is adequate.
Your drawing shows one room with 2 doors. Will you be chopping it in two with a new wall?
It is most useful for all musicians to be able to see each other.
I have mics hanging from the ceiling.

You could just stick carpet around the drum end of the room.
My drum room (Esmono Booth) is 220cm high, and is adequate.
Your drawing shows one room with 2 doors. Will you be chopping it in two with a new wall?
It is most useful for all musicians to be able to see each other.
I have mics hanging from the ceiling.
Thanks already for your input.

This is the big room. The door on top is the door to the control room (which has my desk, couch and where I can stock all my cables, extra guitars/pedals and such,...). The room on my drawing is purely for all the band-instruments/rehearsals/live playing. So I will not be dividing this room in 2.

Apart from the noise and snare rattle which might be fixed with some moongel and stuff like that, I'm also a bit worried that the drums will have a lot of reflections since its so close to 3 walls and the ceiling. So that's also a thing I hope to fix (or atleast have a bit more under control) with the foam panels.
So with that in mind is it still a good idea? Or are there any specific reasons why I absolutely shouldn't do that?

Last edited:
Back