Money to burn need direction

Dadhead82

Hello,

I am looking to get some feedback on a USB audio interface, a preamp and maybe some microphones. Bare bones basic recording with a Martin D28, a couple of nice spruce top mandolins, and a walnut (nice and dark) squareneck dobro. I sing some if I have songs with words.
I've been given the greenlight for $1k (within reason). I am still thinking it's a trap.

I have Interfaces narrowed down to the following, but open to other suggestions:
Motu M4 (cheapest at 270USD)
Tascam 208i
Solid State 2+
Steinberg UR-RT2 (spendiest at 380USD)
----
Re preamps, I haven't a clue if it's completely necessary--and further haven't priced them out yet. If anyone has any insight ("yes, you will need a preamp dummy") or suggestions on which to look into, I am all ears.
----
For microphones, it seems like a pair of small condenser microphones (like sE, lewitt, lauten audio, or line audio) and/or a large condenser for vox, room. If I can get by w/o an external preamp at this time, I would obviously sink more into the microphones.

Any advice, thoughts, snide remarks are all welcome. I am really lost in all this but want to record some stuff for the kids. :D thanks!

No need to get separate preamps right away. What's in a decent interface will do for now, perhaps for good.

Are you performing exclusively solo or will you do any live tracking with others? More inputs would be handy for that.

Last edited:
Scrap any notion to jump straight to boutique mics and preamps. They are things that give marginal increases in ‘something’ and that something is a change to sound, not an immediate thing. So a nice modest interface will be fine, and if it’s voice and guitar, then a pair of modest pencil type condensers and a single large diaphragm type for your voice, or if you wont want to do guitar and voice at the same time, then maybe just a pair of mics. In fairness, your voice probably sets the mic choice. If you have a certain voice a certain mic will match it. Another might be not so nice at all. Lots of people recommend mics based on their results with them. I bought one. On my voice its really the wrong one. That’s why we struggle with these questions. Your recording space also changes the suggestions. A poor sounding room means closer mics to reduce the room sound. A lovely sounding room makes mic choice easier. What is your voice and your room like?

What everyone else has been saying is true. The ONLY thing I’ve noticed about my expensive mics is that I don’t have to EQ them nearly as much. They’re great right from the get-go. But with a little EQ its very difficult to discern between a cheap mic and an expensive one.

I think you would be fine with any of the interfaces. Microphones.. well, there are hundreds of them, and very few are truly awful. For low cost pencils, I like the AKG P170s, and Rode M5s.

Two items you didn't mention were monitors and software.

Monitors are more critical than you might think. There's no way to know if the sound you've recorded is good unless you listen to it! For that reason, I would lean towards the Motu, then look at either finding some JBL LSR308s used, or at least the LSR305s. You can easily blow half of your budget just on monitors. If you don't already have a pair, you'll want to get some headphones. You could look at AKG 240s, Sony 7506, Audio Technica M40X are all around $100.

Many interfaces will come with software that will at least get you started. Cubase AI is common. You can also get Cakewalk by Bandlab free. Reaper is excellent and is $70 for a license which is good for 2 full versions (which is probably going to give you 3-4 years of upgrades).

What everyone else has been saying is true. The ONLY thing I’ve noticed about my expensive mics is that I don’t have to EQ them nearly as much. They’re great right from the get-go. But with a little EQ its very difficult to discern between a cheap mic and an expensive one.

I’m all in on the mic philosophy.

Early on in my cassette 4track days, all I had was a Tascam 246 and a 70s AKG 414, an external phantom power box along with one of those transformer adapters so I could plug into the 1/4 inch inputs.

I got great songwriter demos (imho)

That damn mic cost me more than all the rest of my gear.

So take it for what it’s worth, but my philosophy is get the best mic you can afford. You won’t regret it and it will always have resale value

I’m all in on the mic philosophy.

Early on in my cassette 4track days, all I had was a Tascam 246 and a 70s AKG 414, an external phantom power box along with one of those transformer adapters so I could plug into the 1/4 inch inputs.

I got great songwriter demos (imho)

That damn mic cost me more than all the rest of my gear.

So take it for what it’s worth, but my philosophy is get the best mic you can afford. You won’t regret it and it will always have resale value
Oh, if you can get a good mic, absolutely get one.

I think we’re just saying that it’s not an absolute necessity.

I recently had a MOTU M4 and intend to get another one next month. Best interface I have even had and I've had a few, M-Audio, F'rites, Native instruments (KA6 my fave until the M4 came along) Behringer and PCI cards and outboard mixers. So that's the AI sorted then.

Mics? Very low rent I am afraid. The Sontronics STC-2 LDC is pretty neutral. Had the usual SM57, son gets very decent results we think on classical guitar with a pair of Behrry C-2s. He also uses an SM57 with a Fethead on guitar.

Put most of your money into monitors and I mean more than half the pot. Truly 'professional' monitors start at around $2500 but there are few decently accurate models at $500 the pair. Trawl the back reviews of Sound on Sound magazine. Get some decent ones and they will last you a lifetime.

MOST important of all...GET going! There really is no 'bad' kit about and you are far better off just buying a setup and making music. Send it in here. I am no musician or recording producer, just an old electronics tech with a lifelong interest in audio but other guys here will critique your stuff and put you a'right.

Dave.

+1 to all of the above. My 2c is manage expectations and realize that the more time you spend doing the better the results and the more you'll learn. I see too many people getting frustrated that they don't immediately get everything to sound like a record.

+1 to all of the above. My 2c is manage expectations and realize that the more time you spend doing the better the results and the more you'll learn. I see too many people getting frustrated that they don't immediately get everything to sound like a record.
Yep. The best way to get a good sound is learning your gear and your room. My first recordings sound very sucky compared to recording I make today. And that’s not a gear problem. Even if I had great gear. My recordings then wouldn’t be as good as my recordings today with cheap stuff.

too many people getting frustrated that they don't immediately get everything to sound like a record.
It is frustrating at times.

There needs to be a template system provided in the DAWs for each genre of music. Something that has the VSTs laid out in the tracks and mains. So the whole DAW becomes like a preset.

I recently had a MOTU M4 and intend to get another one next month. Best interface I have even had and I've had a few, M-Audio, F'rites, Native instruments (KA6 my fave until the M4 came along) Behringer and PCI cards and outboard mixers. So that's the AI sorted then.

Mics? Very low rent I am afraid. The Sontronics STC-2 LDC is pretty neutral. Had the usual SM57, son gets very decent results we think on classical guitar with a pair of Behrry C-2s. He also uses an SM57 with a Fethead on guitar.

Put most of your money into monitors and I mean more than half the pot. Truly 'professional' monitors start at around $2500 but there are few decently accurate models at $500 the pair. Trawl the back reviews of Sound on Sound magazine. Get some decent ones and they will last you a lifetime.

MOST important of all...GET going! There really is no 'bad' kit about and you are far better off just buying a setup and making music. Send it in here. I am no musician or recording producer, just an old electronics tech with a lifelong interest in audio but other guys here will critique your stuff and put you a'right.

Dave.
Thanks Dave, good advice. I am a chronic procrastinator due to expectations

Ooof, that’s a little too close to the chest. I’d spin my wheels another 6 months because I need everything “perfect.” Sound advice to just begin and learn on what I have.

Tbh, it isn’t my first foray into recording—I started with an old tape recorder > a “mini disk” tascam > an mbox mini w/ a chronic crashing protools > and at present I (admittedly) have a 2nd gen Scarlet 2i2 that has two line outputs that I use with audacity. I have a shure 87a (?) microphone a pastor gave me years ago.

The idea to start over came recently when looking at additional microphones.

I am thinking (hoping) one of these interfaces is a step up from the Scarlet in terms of preamps, ins and outs. Truthfully, I’m just not impressed with the scarlet.

No need to get separate preamps right away. What's in a decent interface will do for now, perhaps for good.

Are you performing exclusively solo or will you do any live tracking with others? More inputs would be handy for that.
Thank you. It’s just me—but as it stands I only have two microphone inputs on my 2i2 2nd gen and would like to record a pair of small condensers and a large condenser all at once. Sounds incredibly stupid—but I would need at least 3 mic inputs to do that.

Right?

Man, I felt dumb typing that.

Thanks again for your input sir

Hello,

I am looking to get some feedback on a USB audio interface, a preamp and maybe some microphones. Bare bones basic recording with a Martin D28, a couple of nice spruce top mandolins, and a walnut (nice and dark) squareneck dobro. I sing some if I have songs with words.
I've been given the greenlight for $1k (within reason). I am still thinking it's a trap.

I have Interfaces narrowed down to the following, but open to other suggestions:
Motu M4 (cheapest at 270USD)
Tascam 208i
Solid State 2+
Steinberg UR-RT2 (spendiest at 380USD)
----
Re preamps, I haven't a clue if it's completely necessary--and further haven't priced them out yet. If anyone has any insight ("yes, you will need a preamp dummy") or suggestions on which to look into, I am all ears.
----
For microphones, it seems like a pair of small condenser microphones (like sE, lewitt, lauten audio, or line audio) and/or a large condenser for vox, room. If I can get by w/o an external preamp at this time, I would obviously sink more into the microphones.

Any advice, thoughts, snide remarks are all welcome. I am really lost in all this but want to record some stuff for the kids. :D thanks!
I was going to mention the lewitt mics. I’m super interested. The reviews are pretty great for the $250 price point. Their new flagship mic system looks pretty nuts if you have 7k to spare! Lol

This guy did a whole production from recording to mixing on 300 dollars worth of gear.

Called the 300 dollar challenge.

Worth watching the whole series just to get some inspiration on what can be done with minimal gear. Minimal ‘cheap’ gear at that.

Back