Need help with buying a external microphone for Violin classes on zoom

charon

Hi all,
I am new to this group . So i apologize in advance if my post is wrong forum.
I am currently attending violin classes in Zoom for quite some time and i use bose headphones and it's okay but since it's a head phone, i am
always conscious of it and it impedes in my concentration and if my classes go for more than an hour it gets really uncomfortable. So i am looking
for external Microphone with audio interface. (xlr or usb ) . Can anyone recommend a basic level external microphones and audio interface . I did some research
but i am confused with regard to dynamic or condenser microphones. One Another requirement is while playing violin i do not want to connect to any headphones from
external microphone (because that defeats the purpose) . Any recommendations is very much appreciated.

A budget would be good to know.

For interfaces, the Behringer Uphoria UMC202HD or even lower priced UM2 models are kind the very lowest that I've seen with decent ratings. Any of the entry models from major brands like Presonus, Focusrite, Motu, et al, are good, if within budget.

Unless you are playing very quietly, a violin is loud enough to work with a dynamic microphone (IMO/IME) like the Shure SM57 or similar. (Behringer makes a "clone" which is not a good copy of the SM57 but a decent enough mic.) A small diaphragm condenser (SDC) is also an option and will have more output so might be easier to use. There are lots of low cost models. I would read reviews on music store sites to choose one from those. The interface must support 48v phantom power for any condenser microphone. Either of these would require a mic stand with a boom to keep it well away from the violin but still suitable to pick up your voice. I would avoid a large condenser microphone (LDC) because of the size and weight of putting one of those at the end of a boom can make for a precarious setup.

I would get some small earbuds (only) with a long enough cord that can go behind your back, still reaching the interface. You won't be able to use wireless earbuds because the latency when you are playing will likely be distracting.

You would set the Zoom meeting audio to use the interface for both input and output. If it is a group call, I would not mix computer input/output with your audio interface, because, sooner or later, you will hear a "howl" as feedback begins, which could be your setup. Best to just avoid the potential problem, is my experience (especially in group meetings).

My budget is 200 - 300$ Range. I would like to avoid cords and earbuds (because thats the reason i am going for external microphones)

The biggest issue with Zoom or Teams is that while the software has gotten reasonably good at reducing acoustic echo, with dynamic sources like music, not so great. In corporate conferencing DSP's utilizing acoustic echo cancelling filters are used at both sides of the call when headphones are not used. What happens is that sound from the far end plays through the speaker and is picked up by your microphone and is transmitted back to the far end. They hear this delayed as an echo. So a DSP at your end would add a filter that references the incoming audio and filters out the sound from the speakers. That is a basic explanation of acoustic echo cancellation. The etiquette of conferencing is that you are responsible for the quality and reduction of echo at the other end.

I'm going to suggest something others might find unusual from a home recording perspective but appropriate for this application. A DSP powered USB speaker microphone like the Poly Sync 20 or 40 has both a speaker and microphone array and connects via USB to your computer. The DSP will do a good job and will allow you to go wireless for both mic and speaker and be in your budget. Other companies make similar devices all ranging in price but the Sync 20 can be found for about half your budget and the 40 at the top.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely look in to Poly Sync, definitely looks promising from your description.

I don't quite get the connection between earbuds and headphones and microphones? Surely the mic helps others hear you and the earphones/buds are for you hearing them - two things completely different. All the zoom sessions I have done needed isolation from the room with IEMs or enclosed headphones, and a decent mic. The Zoom cancellation system is rubbish for anything other than speech - so mic AND headphones is the only way I can do it and get decent audio in, and out.

I don't quite get the connection between earbuds and headphones and microphones? Surely the mic helps others hear you and the earphones/buds are for you hearing them - two things completely different. All the zoom sessions I have done needed isolation from the room with IEMs or enclosed headphones, and a decent mic. The Zoom cancellation system is rubbish for anything other than speech - so mic AND headphones is the only way I can do it and get decent audio in, and out.
His issue seems to be that he doesn't like wearing headphones for long periods of time. In the corporate world, we use DSP's as part of this type of system design in conference rooms. The current trend is converting much of the standards based video teleconferencing to either Teams or Zoom and often systems that can do both. All these use some sort of separate or integrated DSP with acoustic echo cancellation.

There has been an explosion of new products released tailored to individual and small group conferencing ranging from relatively cheap to very expensive. The Poly unit I pointed out starts at about $150 making it suitable for the OP's price range. These are classed as USB conferencing speakerphones and there are tons of options. Many get a lot more expensive depending on how big a space you want to cover. The Poly Sync 20 is small enough to stash in a laptop bag and works well for 3 or 4 people.

I just checked my personal Zoom account as I didn't want to be talking out my butt. In the settings for Zoom there are a number of audio settings that will improve performance for something like this in addition to using a device with built in DSP. Turn off Automatically Adjust Microphone Volume and set Suppress background Noise to Low. There is also an option for Music and Professional Audio which you can set to Turn on Original Sound in the Zoom call interface.

Most of my clients are signed up for paid Zoom Room accounts which have some other settings via the web portal and didn't want to confuse things by discussing settings not available in the free accounts. I use a Biamp Tesira Dan for my home office with both Zoom and Teams and get very good performance using Shure Dante Table mics and JBL monitors with both the free Zoom account and also my paid Teams account. I do a fair amount of remote DSP configuration where I connect to a field tech's laptop remotely and make audio adjustments based on what I am hearing on my end. With the right equipment, audio performance can work great even with speakers.

Hi charon and welcome. I 'think' I understand what you want and I would echo (Boom! boom!) Robs reservations regarding the latency of wireless systems.
I can understand you not liking wearing headphones but if you intend to continue to to do anything in the performing/recording music world you will need to get used to them.

Dave.

Back