My Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck...the auto insurance companies realized that it was only fair to give people some kind of rebate for the months that we were stuck mostly at home...
LMAO! I had received my insurance bill from Travelers Insurance Company. I pay $1300 per year for insurance. I paid the bill. Two weeks later.....I received a $15.00 rebate check from Travelers citing it that it was rebate because of Covid-19.

It was an insult to say the least, because Travelers Insurance Company announced that it will be hosting the upcoming PGA tournament in Cromwell, CT (without spectators, which normally are very large numbers of fans......perhaps 200,000 during the week....who pay for the privilege of being a spectator). Travelers announced that it would still host the PGA tournament so that it could still donate $$$ to charities as promised.

Spectators....not important.

LMAO! I had received my insurance bill from Travelers Insurance Company. I pay $1300 per year for insurance. I paid the bill. Two weeks later.....I received a $15.00 rebate check from Travelers citing it that it was rebate because of Covid-19.

It was an insult to say the least, because Travelers Insurance Company announced that it will be hosting the upcoming PGA tournament in Cromwell, CT (without spectators, which normally are very large numbers of fans......perhaps 200,000 during the week....who pay for the privilege of being a spectator). Travelers announced that it would still host the PGA tournament so that it could still donate $$$ to charities as promised.

Spectators....not important.

Well...it's not going to be a major rebate for the whole year...I think most were giving between 10% and 25% only for the months when the shutdowns were in effect.
So if you pay $1300/year, that's like $108/month...so I guess they gave you a 13% for that one month...and I would think they should give you for the second month too...though, if you're renewal fell on the second month, you might not get one for the first month. Each company did something different...but at least they acknowledged that there should be some kind of rebate due to the shutdowns.

Mine gave me $19/month rebate.

It's not a lot...but then, no one said that people weren't driving their cars at all...just that there were less than normal cars on road.
I think if we were actually put into a 100% quarantine for two months, then the insurance companies would need to rebate the full amount/month.

Anyway...the real point was that schools are looking for their full yearly budgets to get approved (even asking for increases)...but also talking about not having the kids back in September.

AFA the spectators...mmm, don't know how where all the money comes that pros win at golf tournaments...probably from TV ads, etc...?...but with things like auto racing, and other sports...considering the ridiculously high ticket prices they charge in order to cover the multi-million dollar player contracts, and that seating is for many thousands of spectators/event...I'm wondering how long they can go without spectators in the stands...?

When I received that rebate, it wasn't accompanied with an explanation that it might be a monthly rebate.

I don't pay my insurance bills monthly. I receive a bill for the upcoming year and I write a check.

I'll let you know if I receive another $15.00 check from my insurance company, however, I don't think they will waste time or resources to mail monthly rebate checks. It costs money to process rebate checks.

With my insurance, they just kicked the rebate back into the same bank account that the direct payment is from....so no checks or anything like that....and they have always done the monthly thing, though I guess if I wanted to pay for the whole year I could...but with the direct bank payment, there's no reason to...it's not like having to write one check per month and all that stuff.

My mother was still writing individual checks up until her last few months...and sometimes she would get panicked because she forgot to send one out on time...and I would just get online and make the payment for her, and she would say "That's it?", and I would say, "Yup"...:)...but I could never get her comfortable enough to do all her stuff online herself, even though she had a computer. She wanted to write checks.

I was sent a notice about the rebate along with my renewal letter. 20% for one month. I received a check in the mail about a month later, 12 bucks and some change. I bet they're banking on a lot of people not even bothering to cash/deposit the checks. I'll deposit with other checks.

I was told by my agent you can't even get a year policy any longer, so I pay 6 months full amount. There is a discount for paying full amount rather than monthly.

There is a discount for paying full amount rather than monthly.

Yes, with some plans it's like that...my old one use to...my current one doesn't hit me for that extra $2-$3 bucks/payment just because I pay by the month...they never mentioned any money saving options by paying in full, and mine is a one year policy...but I've been with them for like...18 years now.

Heck...I called them back in the fall when my renewal came up...asked to review both my auto and home policies. They ended up shaving about $500-$600 off my auto, and anther few hundred off my home policy...AND also raised the coverage. The one requirement was that I do all my documents online rather than getting hard copies like in the past. I was somewhat surprised that lowered things so much...they said it does change, all depends the kind of claims that have been hitting my region in a given year...so it's worth it to always ask for a review come renewal time after they send you that initial renewal amount.

Anyway...the real point was that schools are looking for their full yearly budgets to get approved (even asking for increases)...but also talking about not having the kids back in September.

Oh Wow!
I have to tell you that here in Connecticut, there is a State law (written by and enacted into law) by the Democrats who control this State forbidding every school district to submit a budget less than the previous year budget, even if the student population dramatically decreased.
It's referred to as an "MRB". Aka....minimum required budget. School districts are only allowed to increase their budget demand regardless of the fact that there might have been a reduction of students.
School districts in Connecticut are not allowed to submit budgets lower than the previous year.

What sort of politicians would enact a law prohibiting school districts from submitting lower budgets?

It's a rhetorical question.

My oldest granddaughter became a first year student at Fordham University this past September. She worked hard to become a student at Fordham. And then......Fordham had no choice other than to tell all of their students to return back their homes and finish the remainder of the year via the internet.

Being a student at Fordham is expensive to say the least. It's great that she received a reimbursement of housing etc.

With all due respect to TAE....it's incumbent that we all remember the original intent of his thread and not allow the the thread to become any further twisted than it had been twisted.

If you want to write about something other than Covid....start a new thread.

What sort of politicians would enact a law prohibiting school districts from submitting lower budgets?

Here they can ask for increases, but if it's voted down, they automatically get last year's budget. I'm not sure if they "have to" ask for more than last year, as I've seen them ask for all kinds of stuff over the years, sometimes it passes sometimes it doesn't...but that mentality comes from government.
In government, local, state or federal...they ALWAYS ask for more than last year, and if they have money left at the end of the budget year, there is a mad dash to spend it all on anything they can...otherwise, whatever is not spent is the amount their new budget request has to be decreased by.
The thinking being...if you didn't need all that money last year...then we're not going to give you the same or even more this year.

So I can see why the Dems voted that in as some law. I'm sure that it's also tied into how much federal aid they can request for the coming year.

I'm just always amazed at how much money our school district needs each year to operate...and then, they have constant additional budget requests for improvements. It's like every year there's always some buildings that are in need of massive repair...at least that's how they present it.

Here...in my school district...there is a large contingent of families with young kids, and as soon as they grow up, it seems like a new wave moves in...probably because they see that this school district gets lots of money, thanks to all the families with kids always voting in all those increases...so people want their kids to go to school here too.

My township screwed up big time when they decided to close down all the township schools...and the pay the school district that's in the *neighboring county* to take in all the kids from our township/county.
Well...that school district ripped all of us real hard on school taxes, and we've been stuck with that setup for 20+ years now.
A couple of year ago one guy who was running for township supervisor was vowing to reopen schools in our township/county, and stop that madness of bussing our kids to the neighboring county schools...but the larger family/Dem population voted against him.
These people don't mind that there is a large group of seniors in the area who's kids all grew up a long time ago...and that they are stuck paying higher taxes to put all those other kids through school...at another county school district.

One thing we have in NY is the STAR program which kicks back a few hundred bucks to homeowners on their school taxes...and when you get past 65, I believe they have an Extended STAR program that kicks back even more to seniors, but the school taxes are still pretty high, for a rural area.
The one thing that really chaps my ass...is the bussing that is paid for with school taxes. I mean, these people sit in their cars, waiting to put the kids on the buses, when they can easily drive them to school...but once they all voted the tax paid busing...we all pick up that tab.
Never had that when I went to school...and I had to take 3 buses to get home, all public transportation. We only got a reduced fare as students.

With all due respect to TAE....it's incumbent that we all remember the original intent of his thread and not allow the the thread to become any further twisted than it had been twisted.

If you want to write about something other than Covid....start a new thread.

Yes, for sure...though I think there is a COVID-19 reference in some of the side discussions...like the thing with schools not wanting to reopen because of it.

I don't think a coupe of side posts are ever a problem in any thread, it's just how things evolve in discussion...it's only when there is a hard derailment of the thread.

Yes, for sure...though I think there is a COVID-19 reference in some of the side discussions...like the thing with schools not wanting to reopen because of it.

I don't think a coupe of side posts are ever a problem in any thread, it's just how things evolve in discussion...it's only when there is a hard derailment of the thread.
I agree. There has been an evolution of discussion. Some helpful....others not so helpful.

I am guilty for having forgotten the intent of the thread and.....

Meh...TAE is not one to get too upset...he sometimes derails his own threads! :p ;)

Since you mentioned Connecticut...which part are you in...East, West, North.......?

You quoted me post #666 of this thread. Not sure I want to know what that means, if anything. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy? :p

Back to the Corona.........
Last night I had an insatiable desire for a beer, one of those 24 ounce cans. In honor of the virus being good and not killing as many as it was prematurely accused of, I figured I’d honor it with a Corona. Well..............
It was 3.49 a can and the Rolling Rock next to it was 1.59.
The traditional East Coast beer won out over it’s import brother.

On a different news story, but related to the ‘New Normal’ bizarre post covid world we live in..........

John Cruz, a 30 some year Fender employee and custom shop builder was fired for a facebook post. I guess he showed a picture of a jeep with blood on the bumper along with the caption “I made it to work despite the the riots” or something like that. Poor taste?? Maybe.

But to kill a 30 some year career over an off color joke that offended someone? Little extreme I’d say.

But our world is strange nowadays. We even have police taking a knee for BLM, and one police chief even laying down face first for 8 minutes bowing down to the protesters.

Protesters in Seattle taking over a Police Station, then barricading it.
Nutso, nutso.

On a saner note, Theres a doctor, a polite proper old British chap with a website and youtube channel. Lots of good videos about the covid situation.

Channel is Vernon Coleman
Website is Vernon Coleman - international bestselling novelist and campaigning author

So apparently the Floyd protests and riots managed to destroy multiple COVID-19 test sites...and now they are already saying the second COVID-19 wave is starting to build momentum, with many of the major protest/riot areas showing increasing rates of infection.

I guess no one expected that when they allowed all those mass gatherings to occur...?...but hey, only 5 people at a time can go into my local hardware store to buy anything. :facepalm:

So apparently the Floyd protests and riots managed to destroy multiple COVID-19 test sites...and now they are already saying the second COVID-19 wave is starting to build momentum, with many of the major protest/riot areas showing increasing rates of infection.

I guess no one expected that when they allowed all those mass gatherings to occur...?...but hey, only 5 people at a time can go into my local hardware store to buy anything. :facepalm:

Maybe they should have a protest sale. That way more people can come in.

(I hope I don't get banned for my insensitive post)

I must confess to being a huge fan of "Tommy" and a lot of their 60s stuff although it took the Kinks to make them start to make real "Who" music...

I like the Who (not WHO ;) )...but "Tommy" wasn't my favorite. I was always more partial to Quadrophenia with their "rock opera" albums...but maybe that's because I like the film Quadrophenia more than the Tommy movie, which had that cheesy, late '60s flavor...like a long Monkees episode. :p

Both are great in my opinion. Tommy knocked it out of the park, but what blew my mind was that Pete did another one that was as good, if not better, than the first.
I agree, the Tommy movie was ehhhh...... cartoonish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back