Guitar String Tension after restringing

The gauges you list here are so close to being the same, there should be no noticeable difference and no (truss rod) adjustment needed. (New Gibson's actually fill the adjuster nut with hot glue to keep you from messing with it) DON'T TOUCH IT UNLESS THE NECK IS WARPED and nothing to do with string gauge. The Nut and the bridge string height might need a slight adjustment if the lighter strings BUZZ but your tension problem is with the tuners or elsewhere. ....
I hadn't thought about it much, but this seem about right. I've worked my way through lights' to 11's, now up to 12-14-18--52's over the years on my 355. Adjust at the bridge, refit the nut for width and height in some cases. I don't recall having to touch the tension rod on my guitars.

It is because the neck was set up for medium gauge strings. Therefore the lighter gauge strings are not pulling enough on the neck ( truss rod adjustment ) to keep things 1) in tune 2) strings are probably snapping off from a fret that may have a normal wear burr in it... you would be surprized what can snap a string... i was snapping .026 gauge wound dstrings left and right and swore i had a burr in the sddle ..NOPE.. i am an agressive country picker and often angle the pick and they wear down through a given set and will actually cut a string... yes this does happen... but in your case get a qualified tech tha can make the proper adjustment and double check to make sure you do not need a fret dressing as well "depending on where they are breaking" when you switch from 17 pound test to 4 lbs test fishing line with the drag all the way tight am 8 pound bass will snap off everytime... just saying it is the same principle with too much neck tension with lighter gauge strings... i appologize if i rambled on but i hope it helps

I'm curious how some people decide that they don't need to touch the truss rod when switching strings....?
Do you just just go by feel and general observation....or do you actually use a feeler gauge and *measure* the change in distance between the frets/neck and the string at the same mid-point position of the neck, when changing string gauges.....?

The thing about truss rod tension....there is no one exact number, so it could be anything say, from 0.2mm to 0.5mm for an electric guitar....but for a given guitar and your preferences, there will be an optimal number that you would want to maintain when changing string gauge...and without a feeler gauge or other precise way of measuring, it ends up being just guesstimating.

Of course....if the "optimal" number for your guitar is off by 0.1mm or 0.2mm, you may not be obviously bothered by it when playing, and therefore you assume that there is no need to adjust the truss rod...but that doesn't mean that string gauge changes have no effect or that you don't need to readjust the truss rod and maintain your optimal number, which gives the best feel/play.

I've always adjusted the truss rod when I switched gauges...and there WAS always a small change in that fret/neck-to-string height in the bow of the neck when I switched gauges.
Going from light to heavier didn't seem as problematic, though enough of a change could cause intonation problems if th neck bowed more significantly....but if you go from heavier to lighter, the neck could go flatter and therefore cause more fret buzz in the upper/lower portions of the neck.

It does depend on the guitar/wood too....some react more, some less to minor tension changes....which is why a feeler gauge is an easy/precise way to check. I have a small blade feeler gauge from back in the days when car tune-ups and spark plug changes/adjustments where more common. These days, you go for over 100k miles and not need one....so that feeler gauge found a home in my guitar tool box several years ago, and it has just the right choice of feeler sizes for guitar work. :)

Hey...if you're happy with the guitar action/intonation regardless of any string gauge changes, and you don't want to be bothered checking it with feeler gauges and doing all that micro-adjusting....then leave it alone. ;)

There's enough info in the post for anyone that really reads it. :)

Simply pointing out to those that say string gauge changes don't require truss rod adjustments...and that unless you measure the fret/neck to string distance with a feeler gauge or other tool, you can't make the assumption that string gauge changes have no effect on the neck and the need for truss rod adjustments.

Hell Miro, you're preaching to the choir! LOL! Every luthier, guitar tech I've ever talked to has recommended adjusting the truss rod when changing string gauges. Some guitars are manufactured with specific string gauges in mind and recommend not changing string gauges. I have a Gibson from the their custom shop that's like the aforementioned.

Hell Miro, you're preaching to the choir! LOL!

Then I'm glad we agree. :)

Actually...I wasn't trying to preach to the choir.
It was that I noticed a couple of people saying that you don't need to adjust the truss rod with string gauge changes. Someone even said "DON'T TOUCH" the truss rod unless the "neck is warped"...huh....WTF???.....:D....so I was really asking THOSE people to explain how then do they measure the neck/string differences to reach those conclusions that you don't need to adjust the truss rod....?

My initial post was directed to them.

The gauges you list here are so close to being the same, there should be no noticeable difference and no (truss rod) adjustment needed. (New Gibson's actually fill the adjuster nut with hot glue to keep you from messing with it) DON'T TOUCH IT UNLESS THE NECK IS WARPED and nothing to do with string gauge. The Nut and the bridge string height might need a slight adjustment if the lighter strings BUZZ but your tension problem is with the tuners or elsewhere. You should be able to go from medium strings to Ultra Lights .10 and .47 ga with no problem. I have done this on my Ovation, Martin & Gibson. Mediums give more volume if you need it acoustically. Lights are great for acoustic electric and more finess & easier on the fingers for pushing or pulling (bending) strings. When tuning, are you tightening the 6th string then the 3rd, then 5th then 2nd then4th then 1st? To keep even tension across the neck. How many winds around the post are you putting on the heavier bass strings? Too many make for excessive strain on the tuners and giving much added strain on them making them harder to turn. The Gibson Home page demonstrates proper method for changing strings. If you have open gear tuners, you can lubricate them ever so slightly and make sure all gear screws are tight. Inspect the gears for binding. Your problem sounds to be in the tuners or too much string wound around the posts creating a larger lever acton. Hope this helps. Regards, Fullait

Please ignore this post....

The neck just bends a little per what ever tension is on it.

Yes but a lighter string for the same force applied will need more relief than a stiffer string because it will travel further for the same force applied.

Seriously guys.... I stop posting here for a while and you all start talking bollox again... What gives???

Miro has a knack for making huge posts that ride the fence and don't actually say anything. It's an art. I do give him props for that.

I don't know that you ever even read any posts longer than one sentance to know what's in them. :D

Like I said....there's plenty of info in the posts, and initially directed at the folks who said you don't need to adjust the truss rod.

I'm curious how some people decide that they don't need to touch the truss rod when switching strings....?
Do you just just go by feel and general observation....or do you actually use a feeler gauge and *measure* the change in distance between the frets/neck and the string at the same mid-point position of the neck, when changing string gauges.....?

The thing about truss rod tension....there is no one exact number, so it could be anything say, from 0.2mm to 0.5mm for an electric guitar....but for a given guitar and your preferences, there will be an optimal number that you would want to maintain when changing string gauge...and without a feeler gauge or other precise way of measuring, it ends up being just guesstimating.

Of course....if the "optimal" number for your guitar is off by 0.1mm or 0.2mm, you may not be obviously bothered by it when playing, and therefore you assume that there is no need to adjust the truss rod...but that doesn't mean that string gauge changes have no effect or that you don't need to readjust the truss rod and maintain your optimal number, which gives the best feel/play.

I've always adjusted the truss rod when I switched gauges...and there WAS always a small change in that fret/neck-to-string height in the bow of the neck when I switched gauges.
Going from light to heavier didn't seem as problematic, though enough of a change could cause intonation problems if th neck bowed more significantly....but if you go from heavier to lighter, the neck could go flatter and therefore cause more fret buzz in the upper/lower portions of the neck.

It does depend on the guitar/wood too....some react more, some less to minor tension changes....which is why a feeler gauge is an easy/precise way to check. I have a small blade feeler gauge from back in the days when car tune-ups and spark plug changes/adjustments where more common. These days, you go for over 100k miles and not need one....so that feeler gauge found a home in my guitar tool box several years ago, and it has just the right choice of feeler sizes for guitar work. :)

Hey...if you're happy with the guitar action/intonation regardless of any string gauge changes, and you don't want to be bothered checking it with feeler gauges and doing all that micro-adjusting....then leave it alone. ;)

I read two paragraphs and then quit...

tl/dr but largely speaking the feeler gauge you refer to should be your fingers and you ears.

Why are you like everyone else failing to recognize what the real problem is? It's nothing to do with truss rod or "feeler gauges"... It's to do with bridge pins popping out of their worn/ badly seated bridge pin holes..

You can have the last word...

:eatpopcorn:

I don't know that you ever even read any posts longer than one sentance to know what's in them. :D

Like I said....there's plenty of info in the posts, and initially directed at the folks who said you don't need to adjust the truss rod.

Don't start getting all mirohurt. I gave you a compliment.

There's enough info in the post for anyone that really reads it. :)

Simply pointing out to those that say string gauge changes don't require truss rod adjustments...and that unless you measure the fret/neck to string distance with a feeler gauge or other tool, you can't make the assumption that string gauge changes have no effect on the neck and the need for truss rod adjustments.

This post is also bollox...

The string will be at the same tension at a given pitch, no matter how the truss rod is set.

Correct. And it will be at the same tension if you shorten the string length by fretting.

The problem is not truss rods or string tension. Hang on I'll post that in big letters....

Then I'm glad we agree. :)

Actually...I wasn't trying to preach to the choir.
It was that I noticed a couple of people saying that you don't need to adjust the truss rod with string gauge changes. Someone even said "DON'T TOUCH" the truss rod unless the "neck is warped"...huh....WTF???.....:D....so I was really asking THOSE people to explain how then do they measure the neck/string differences to reach those conclusions that you don't need to adjust the truss rod....?

My initial post was directed to them.

Some times, in fact often, you do not need to adjust the truss rod. You definitely do not need feeler gauges. You are not gaping spark plugs....

That is not the problem here. It has nothing to do with the truss rod.

The problem is not truss rods or string tension. It is bridge pins popping out of worn or badly reamed bridge pin holes...

I read two paragraphs and then quit...

tl/dr but largely speaking the feeler gauge you refer to should be your fingers and you ears.

Why are you like everyone else failing to recognize what the real problem is? It's nothing to do with truss rod or "feeler gauges"... It's to do with bridge pins popping out of their worn/ badly seated bridge pin holes..

:facepalm:

Maybe if you DID read my earlier post....you would comprehend that I wasn't responding to the original topic of the popping strings....but rather specifically to the comments about the need for truss rod adjustments with string gauge changes, and I asked a question to those people who said you don't need to adjust truss rods with string gauge changes. :)

If you weren't too focused on just making some negative comments in my direction....you would see that the topic segued a bit to truss rods/string gauges in general.

I'm sure you'll have more to say though....

Back