Blind test: Best Vocal Mic

Yes, ages ago. But I don't have enough information to make that judgement. What I hear is something in the audio path that is attenuating the highs. I don't think that is happening at the source but I can't find anything obvious. What's on your mind, Mix?

Post 69--? (another one earlier..
So- to continue this nudge, capsulate' as it we're..

The Order of Priority
Importance #1 / Job #1

The Source

:D

Are you saying the issue is with the way I'm singing? Because i've had 6 years of vocal training and I know it's not my vocal technique that would be causing the highs to be attenuated

Guys, I said as an example it is extremely easy- to sing with a covered diffuse' tone ..vs doing it with (more) focus.
To whatever extent you take those away, the things tha give those kinds of atarticultion cues, the more tou are left with trhe 'warm, coudy and or proxity effct range' in play, and the 'eses up top.
That's what I'm hearing (now.

You've had instruction' too, then you know this!
;)
Again, I'm no great singer, I pulled it off in a second! :)

But maybe yeah I got work on my 'whaa we have her', is fail ya.. to-communicae' :D

Guys, I said as an example it is extremely easy- to sing with a covered diffuse' tone ..vs doing it with (more) focus.
To whatever extent you take those away, the things tha give those kinds of atarticultion cues, the more tou are left with trhe 'warm, coudy and or proxity effct range' in play, and the 'eses up top.
That's what I'm hearing (now.

You've had instruction' too, then you know this!
;)
Again, I'm no great singer, I pulled it off in a second! :)

But maybe yeah I got work on my 'whaa we have her', is fail ya.. to-communicae' :D

Does anyone else think that Adam's voice actually sounds like that or do you also "hear" an attenuated top end as I do?

You may be right Mix, can you post the recording you made for comparison?

Does anyone else think that Adam's voice actually sounds like that or do you also "hear" an attenuated top end as I do?

You may be right Mix, can you post the recording you made for comparison?
As far as freq extension seems to me the eses' up top were fine even on all the tracks (ahy.. I didn't listen to the new ones yet (NTK's was it?
How about for a real simple check of the recording chain? Record something like ac guitar with say that really 'flat' one, (any of them doesn't matter just picked from the 'darkest of the batch) from about two or three feet out from the 12th fret, no roll off's.

As far as freq extension seems to me the eses' up top were fine even on all the tracks (ahy.. I didn't listen to the new ones yet (NTK's was it?
How about for a real simple check of the recording chain? Record something like ac guitar with say that really 'flat' one, (any of them doesn't matter just picked from the 'darkest of the batch) from about two or three feet out from the 12th fret, no roll off's.

That would do it :)

I just thought too, a livelier song style (vs. this reserved' fairly soft and intimate' style) might do better if it put one in more of a forward' voice.

I didn't see that either. I'll post up a livelier song. I am no guitar player but i could just strum....would that be enough to test it?

This is a room recording of my student band. The drums are synthed but they used that as a click track. I am not advertising the 15yo singers technique as it does need work but consider that she was recorded through a mixer with Lexicon MX200 Reverb, DBX266XL Compressor and DBX231 Graphic Equalizer adjusted to counter feedback, all inline with the mixer, and all of it recorded with some fairly ordinary mics on the amps and PA.... when you listen to your recording for comparison, it still sounds like you have the tone knob dialled down and yet there is nothing between you and the interface. Mixsit may be right but I am still skeptical, however, this girl was about 2" from the mic when she wasn't actually kissing the thing. You said you were like 6" to 12" away from the mic.

At the risk of inducing the proximty effect with associated increase in bass, can you try singing closer to the mic?

Thats What You Get

but the first clips were up close like 4-5 inches and they sounded worse, no?

I am trying to find a cause that avoids concluding that it is your voice. I don't believe it is because I can't hear anything in your recordings above around 4KHz... any other vocal recording I have has distinct content in the 4-6KHz band that is completely missing from yours. I don't think you can do that with your voice so forgive me if I keep trying to find something else in the audio path that is doing this

should I try and step out of that room and record in the hall just to see there really is something going on with my room

Back