Blind test: Best Vocal Mic

Now would I have to try another interface entirely or would an external preamp be sufficient?

You would have to try another interface completely in order to confirm or eliminate the current interface as the problem. Adding on extra gear would not take it out of the loop and the results would be inconclusive.

Just wondered if you had tried the other mic input or even the other two inputs (which would require an XLR to TSR cable from the mic)?

Also, are any of these recordings done with something other than the Focusrite Scarlett? Anything that eliminates the interface as the problem would be useful

The only one that has been done with a different interface was the pumped up kicks room 1 2 3. Clip. I have used both mic inputs on the Scarlett

I am not sure which ones they are. Can you post a link to one of the pumped up kicks vocal only and one that you know uses the Focusrite (vocal only)?

AH!!!! The Focusrite has the problem

The apogee one in different room doesn't have the same attenuation of highs. That recording is perfectly acceptable

Is everything else the same? Are you still recording into the same DAW with the Apogee?

Listening to both recordings in isolation, you may think are very similar. When you do an A/B test where you can instantly switch from one to the other, you hear the difference quite clearly.

Again, its not that Focusrite is designed this way, they are very good. Just that this particular one seems to have a problem. If it is new I would ask for a replacement. If I have missed something and there is some other difference in the two recordings, like a different computer for example, I would have to take that into account before nailing the Focusrite

hey guitar legend ,
So I decided to try my interface with my wife's mac just to rule out the computer as the issue. here is a clip of the sm7 through scarlett into mac with garageband.

Voice test by Adam Mishan on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Are the highs still attenuated?

Hey Adam

That certainly rules out the Scarlett as the problem. Its all there in that recording.

Has to be something that Cubase on the PC is doing. The audio path stops at the interface where it becomes a digital representation of the audio. From there it goes into your DAW which then reproduces the audio from the information received. I don't know if Cubase can EQ the track on the way in. What brand and model is the laptop? Which USB port are you using for the interface?

Clarification: It is still a digital representation in the DAW where it is processed and stored and converted back into audio by the interface on playback. While in the DAW it is all digital.

k I feel like we're almost there.
I downloaded reaper and here is a quick clip recorded there on my pc. so sm7b-scarlett-reaper on pc.

Voice test2 by Adam Mishan on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Thats great Adam!! You could leave it there if you wanted to but it might be worth re-installing Cubase to see if the problem goes away. Its academic now anyway, this audio clip is back to normal and the problem seems to have been something in Cubase. Great work!

Now you can do the mic comparisons over again and get better feedback on your selections :)

amazing thank you so much. I am really very grateful, I never would have even noticed if you didn't bring it up. now it could be that the sm7 isnt so bad for me

Do a few more A-B-C tests and see what you get. It may be the one that works for your voice is the SM7...or maybe you like something else more.

It could be just how I'm hearing your clips....but IMO, I think you need a bit more body to your voice. Part of that is that you seem to sing mainly from your throat, and if that's your style, than that is what it is...but if you worked it a bit more from the chest, the body would come natrually...then again some if it is also the mic choice and your voice...but as long as you find what you like, then that's all that will matter.

Hamburg has more body, Vienna more sheen.

If you are really considering an ADK...call them and see if you can talk to Larry Villella...he's the main guy/founder.
I spoke with him in length a few times, nice guy.
He may suggest some more models too besides the Hamburg/Vienna...depends on your budget.

Also...go to their site and read the testimonials and the "Who Uses What" comments...it might help you decide what you want to try out.

From their website:
"Email ADK Founder Larry Villella (larry@adkmic.com) or call 1-503-296-9400 for a Consultation."

Back