Blind test: Best Vocal Mic

No it is the setup I use to record. My home studio is at my parents place and I live on my own so all my gear is there.

Know the story... it seems like you are getting there anyway. I just thought that the vocals should have been a lot clearer initially. But I would look at the DAW audio setup next. Check out some setup guides and make sure everything is at least standard

Yeah but I didn't record the backing, it's just a karaoke track. So even after the mix it is lacking the highs?
I'll try to get you that screenshot today

The backing track isn't lacking any highs that I can tell. The vocal sounds better now

It has to be something in the audio path from the mic to the DAW. I am suspecting the DAW audio settings but I think I am grasping at straws now.

So which clip is this? what did you do to fiix it? I was really that pitchy?

This was clip 2. I put it through an la2a compressor plug in added a little eq boost for sibilance and clarity in the mid 2k and high shelf, then added a bit of convolution reverb(which I would normally adjust to suit the backing music) then just a base pitch correction for the parts that stuck out to me. The side part is out of tune but I didn't feel like separating vocals to fix since cubase saw it as one word.

The backing track isn't lacking any highs that I can tell. The vocal sounds better now

It has to be something in the audio path from the mic to the DAW. I am suspecting the DAW audio settings but I think I am grasping at straws now.
I'm beginning to believe more and more as I (we ;) go here that this, and new mics and such, is chasing down the wrong track.
I was running the idea by my wife -neither of us are great singers or anything but both of us have had some vocal instruction) who immediately said 'of course; one is singing from the throat', (vs the chest' or what have you. The 'voice one is singing in'.
Then I did a quickie' attempt singing to simulate (emulate) the effect.
Stood in the room and easily heard the difference -mostly in the 'covered tone of lack or loss of articulation' cues. (is it sometimes called tone 'swallowed?)
There is an obvious difference -at the same vocalizing volume- of 'focused' 'supported or 'projected version having more articulating tones right there in the room (or in the case that will be 'at the mic.
Take them away (to whatever extent) can I believe account for much of what is missing here.

Don't know if you got to see this post.
Hey,
So I rented the NTK for today and recorded a track.
NTKmix by Adam Mishan on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free -in a mix
NTKac by Adam Mishan on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free -acapella
NTKverb by Adam Mishan on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free -with a touch of reverb

How does it work on my voice? does it pair well?

Yes I did see that post but I don'r seem to hear a discernable difference between that and the very first post. I hear the reverb that gives it more space and you can enhance the highs with EQ but I am still at a loss to discover the reason for the initial loss of high end.

Yes I did see that post but I don'r seem to hear a discernable difference between that and the very first post. I hear the reverb that gives it more space and you can enhance the highs with EQ but I am still at a loss to discover the reason for the initial loss of high end.

you got me! It's a bit frustrating because it makes no sense.

but since all these recordings seem to suffer from the same issue. Setting that aside, which out the ones we've gone through, including the NTK, would you recommend for my voice?

you got me! It's a bit frustrating because it makes no sense.

but since all these recordings seem to suffer from the same issue. Setting that aside, which out the ones we've gone through, including the NTK, would you recommend for my voice?

In all honesty I can't determine a "better" mic. They are almost equal and in my opinion only differ by insignificant amounts. I would pick your favourite and go with it

In all honesty I can't determine a "better" mic. They are almost equal and in my opinion only differ by insignificant amounts. I would pick your favourite and go with it

Well the sm7 would be the easiest since I already own it. I was wondering though which would be more versatile for like acoustic, electric guitar as well

So, anyone seeing ..a trend here ..yet?
:rolleyes:
Just 'sayin

So, anyone seeing ..a trend here ..yet?
:rolleyes:
Just 'sayin

Yes, ages ago. But I don't have enough information to make that judgement. What I hear is something in the audio path that is attenuating the highs. I don't think that is happening at the source but I can't find anything obvious. What's on your mind, Mix?

Well the sm7 would be the easiest since I already own it. I was wondering though which would be more versatile for like acoustic, electric guitar as well

I hate to use a hackneyed response but if there was one mic that does it all, we would all have one. However, having uttered that disclaimer, the SM7B is a nice mic for recording vocals and guitars. And since you already own it, go for it. Whatever the problem is that has been pointed out in this thread, I strongly doubt that the mics are the cause. I would be interested in hearing a different song though.

Back