ART DPS-II preamp

Not bad for the money ..... but if you were thinking of getting one I would still be looking for an alternate if I were you.

Not bad for the money ..... but if you were thinking of getting one I would still be looking for an alternate if I were you.

I'm getting it so that I can use a couple of expensive compressors I am getting in the near future. That is, I need something with insert points. Will the cheap nature of this preamp prevent the compressors from reaching their potential?

I just ordered one so I can utilize the s/pdif input on my interface. I did have a great experience with the DPSII at another studio, with a SM58 recording a demo for the vocalist of FFDP, Ivan. One of the best vocal tones I had heard for of singer of his type.

I already use a TPSII for scratch tracks. Just throwing another usable pre in the rack. Big money will be spent next week on my X73! :)

Does the DPS II "Sound" any different than the TPS II? the only difference is the digital out right?

I just ordered one so I can utilize the s/pdif input on my interface. I did have a great experience with the DPSII at another studio, with a SM58 recording a demo for the vocalist of FFDP, Ivan. One of the best vocal tones I had heard for of singer of his type.

I already use a TPSII for scratch tracks. Just throwing another usable pre in the rack. Big money will be spent next week on my X73! :)

You think the TPS would hold me over with the sm7b until I save up enough for a x73? :p think that would be my best bet for a pre under $200 ?

You think the TPS would hold me over with the sm7b until I save up enough for a x73? :p think that would be my best bet for a pre under $200 ?

Yeah. I personally would go for the DPSII though, because of the digital outs that will be useful later. Adds two channels to an interface with s/pdif in. Plus the adjustable impedance control really allows more flexibilities. ADAT (optical) in/out too. Sweetwater has for $204 and it comes with Tootsie Roll's and Smarties! :D

Yeah. I personally would go for the DPSII though, because of the digital outs that will be useful later. Adds two channels to an interface with s/pdif in. Plus the adjustable impedance control really allows more flexibilities. ADAT (optical) in/out too. Sweetwater has for $204 and it comes with Tootsie Roll's and Smarties! :D

Gotta love Sweetwater for that.
Zenaudio sends you their brand of coffee with orders from them ...................... Oh Yeah!

Now that's weird you get a little bag of candy now. They usta just throw in hand fulls of candy almost enough for safety packaging much like the Styrofoam peanuts.

The X73, DPSII, and mic stands each came with a baggie, so I assume it is a typical thing now. BTW, Nick at Sweetwater took $100 off the advertised price for the X73/preamp. They even call to make sure orders arrive safely. And the mic stands were cheap 'On Stage' booms with 20' cable. A total steal though. He emailed to tell me about them. Good spam I say. :)

And how would you compare it to an M-Audio DPM3?

Two completely different preamps.

The DMP3 is a volume knob with lots of clean gain, little to no coloration.
The DPSII or TPSII use a tube in series the circuit to add some colorful distortion.

The X73, DPSII, and mic stands each came with a baggie, so I assume it is a typical thing now. BTW, Nick at Sweetwater took $100 off the advertised price for the X73/preamp. They even call to make sure orders arrive safely. And the mic stands were cheap 'On Stage' booms with 20' cable. A total steal though. He emailed to tell me about them. Good spam I say. :)

Jim .....just be sure and have a weight in those feet if you put a LDC on those mic stands.

Of course. They are really just cheap backups. And for dynamic mics when recording scratch tracks during drum tracking. All my good stands are on the kit.

Back