ART DPS-II preamp

And how would you compare it to an M-Audio DPM3?

I have a DPSII in my portable rack just to add 2 more channels via SPIF to my Tascam 1803 if needed.

When I first got it, I actually took the the time to rotate through the 'presets' while recording an acoustic guitar and, at the same time, recording the same guitar through one of my DMP3's for A/B purposes. Mics were Naiant MSH10's pointed at the 12th fret... It was a couple of years ago, but it seems that I was not too impressed with many of the voicing presets, although I thought perhaps a couple might be useful in specific situations. I basically decided the 'Flat' setting was best for the A/B test with the DMP3. I'm not going to say one was sonically 'better' than the other but, using the DMP3 pretty much as the benchmark (I already had 2 in my studio) helped in my decision to keep the ART and use it in my portable rig. :)

I have a DPSII in my portable rack just to add 2 more channels via SPIF to my Tascam 1803 if needed.

When I first got it, I actually took the the time to rotate through the 'presets' while recording an acoustic guitar and, at the same time, recording the same guitar through one of my DMP3's for A/B purposes. Mics were Naiant MSH10's pointed at the 12th fret... It was a couple of years ago, but it seems that I was not too impressed with many of the voicing presets, although I thought perhaps a couple might be useful in specific situations. I basically decided the 'Flat' setting was best for the A/B test with the DMP3. I'm not going to say one was sonically 'better' than the other but, using the DMP3 pretty much as the benchmark (I already had 2 in my studio) helped in my decision to keep the ART and use it in my portable rig. :)

makes sense... the other settings are all EQ settings I think and maybe limiter thrown in for good measure on some if I recall right.

so yea, flat in this should be similar to flat in dmp3.

dmp3 will be quieter and slightly more accurate.

this will be slightly warmer (slightly more mid push) compared to the dmp3 probably (Based on not having directly listened side by side in my life though, only individually at different times) and will be able to add some nice harmonic content by pushing the tube a bit.

I think the tpsII is basically the same preamp as what's in the pro channel but with the nice variable input impedance control. so more like midway between pro channel and mpa gold.

I recall it having that art preamp sound, just like the pro channel does, with a slight mid push that is nice sounding, but both aren't as good as the mpa gold or wahtever the current mpa model is called with it's tube plate voltage set to high.

cheers
Don

Back