in hindsight...rack stuff comparison-itis

CoolCat

I recall stumbling on HR and the gang then opened my mind to things like preamps, compressors...eq was kind of known from stereos and car decks.
But I ponder today in this cold dry weather..... was there really any improvement gained in the gear comparisonitis, in hindsight?

My first entry as suggested here by HR gang, was the MAudio DMP3 ..it was ok, it fixed my gain issue.
When convinced to add the RNC 1773 comp, I was feeling like I had "Studio Sound" achieved!! wow!! factor.
My Compairison-itis has passed...
LA610 I, II, Special Edition, Focusrite 430, ISAOne , Two, EmpericalLabs MikeE, Art VoiceChannel both version, Focusrrite Platinum, Symetirx 528, JoeMeek VC1, 1Q, OneQ, VC3, ThreeQ, Aphex 107,207, Lindell 17x ART TPSII..ART MPAi,II, Gold...1073cloneGreatRiver, ....blahblahblah more and more......

Hindsight Favorities:
DMP3 and RNC (no Eq)
JoeMeek VC1, VC1Q (w eq)
KT2A was (comp)
ART TPS II for distortion/fx vocal box..

Anyone else have favorite budget Rack gear that survived Comparison-itis? or maybe none of it survived and its 100% ITB in 2024?

RNC still gets used . I have three Radio Design Labs "Stik On" compressors (designed for like Muzak installations) that I still love what they do to vocals.

Most of my rack gear is high end but I still use a pair of DBX 160A compressors. One I paid $100 for on eBay, and the other was $30 at a flea market, and it is gold, which I've never seen. I also have a Roland SDE-1000 and would like to have another. It cost about $100.

Most of my rack gear is high end but I still use a pair of DBX 160A compressors. One I paid $100 for on eBay, and the other was $30 at a flea market, and it is gold, which I've never seen. I also have a Roland SDE-1000 and would like to have another. It cost about $100.

Getting super deals is still a good buzz. Good stuff in the budget to mid price...

Maybe another question is "what was it about certain rack pieces that made you keep them through the years? high end or not.....

I wonder if it was my ears, because so much of it I never heard some big wow, difference.

Back