Worst Piece(s) of Gear You've Purchased

Worst piece of gear I've ever owned was this bottom of the line nady wireless system back around 2000. Talk about sucking the life directly out of your live sound....

Last edited:
Hmm, in recent history, I had a pair of Crate 130 watts......not that great. I'm not a guitarist though, but they were digital sounding. I liked running my keyboard through them to get a unique distortion sound. Ah well.

My first set of drums were rather bad.

As far as recording gear, it is hard to say, since I like everything I have.

long ago when my band was first beginning the drummer and his brother (guitar player) bought an electronic drum set from target...only one pad worked a couple months later. and i consider that a lucky time for that set. wow, now i can look back and laugh:D

I do mostly computer based recording so my most hated piece of equipment had to be the tascam us-122. horrible asio drivers and when i downloaded the most recent update to it at the time it kept making my system crash and freeze up, so i put my lab coat on got my tools an hammered it into a million pieces muahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

I now have the tascam fw1082 and have to say it's very impressive, and upon that purchase the gentleman at guitar center informed me that i could have traded the us-122 in towards the fw-1082 DOH!!!

Also there is a whole list of vst's i've been suckered into and hated all of them

Zoomhd8 cd..
i ordered one ...got it had problems from the start..then the sound went...sent it bak got another machine same problem sound went..whats messed uo is i spent 500 for that thing...and now im using a tascam dp02 which i only spent 250 for and i havent had one problem yet..
but my instructer at my school (i take recording arts and technology). told me all zoom products are crap..
another purchase i wasnt to happy with and ended up selling..was the korg microkorg...not my type like it worked perfectly just the sound wasnt for me im happier with the micron! :eek:

and i should of did more research on the alesis 3630 reviews..cuz i jsut ordered one along with a microverb4..

Nady DM-90
Nady CM-90 pair.

The former was unusable. The kick drum had no life. Got a D112 and it changed the sound dramatically for the better.

The latter were unusable until I swapped out the coupling caps a couple of weeks ago. They still aren't the most wonderful mics in the world, but at least they don't sound muddy (and simultaneously harsh) anymore.

Alesis DM5. Used it to trigger my bass drum one gig and the wall wart went out. Replaced the wall wart, pulled it off the kit since it proved unreliable then moved it to Midi function only. Then the thing would lock up on dual triggered MIDI events and then spike out by outputting only whast I describe as a Midi infarction by spilling all built up missed events in one big audible cocphony of unwanted dum sounds.

Wouldn't reproduce drum rolls properly and would sometimes sound great going out of headphones but the 18bit D/A converters on the main output somehow made it sound like ass on anything that recorded it except for analog tape. Worst $400 I've ever spent (at the time when it was new).

Alesis DM5. Used it to trigger my bass drum one gig and the wall wart went out. Replaced the wall wart, pulled it off the kit since it proved unreliable then moved it to Midi function only. Then the thing would lock up on dual triggered MIDI events and then spike out by outputting only whast I describe as a Midi infarction by spilling all built up missed events in one big audible cocphony of unwanted dum sounds.

From what I've seen, MIDI overload is more likely to be caused by a software glitch than a problem with the device on the other end of the MIDI connection. I used to have that problem a lot with serial MIDI interfaces. Not once have I seen it with a more modern MIDI interface (USB, FireWire, PCI). YMMV, of course.

Adam A7 monitors

Ok, perhaps not the worst piece of gear I have howevernot worth the price...
I have just bought into all the stuff on the adam a7 power monitors which if you you want to find bad reviews these days its easy for these they were almost impossible to find even then, minor quibbles. Ok, whats my quibble?
Every time i mix on these and it sounds fairly balanced not bass heavy(with computer), quite light actually, I then try the recording out on my hi fi system and what I get is quite different. My system is very good quality and uses b&w 604s speakers (which are a bit bass heavy i find). However match my recordings done with the adam's up to any industry standard, you will find mine are silly, bass mud fever!!!
Now before anyone crits the recordings, yeah ok I am no mutt lang, however I do know simple balance( i am a semi pro conductor/musical director). And dont try to tell me about bass woofers, i have spent enough already for a home studio. Just wish i had bought something which were more realistic. Isnt there another way to help with what i've got though, so that the recordings i mix can be more realistic as i mix?

I've had pretty good luck with gear, but 20 years ago I bought a Tascam M-216
and I could never get myself to like the sound. I don't know if it really was all that bad or because the mixers I used before and after it were so much better in comparison. But it did something I could never accept to the sound.

In the 1980's I bought a MIDI merger called a YMM2 from Yamaha. It never worked right, and later I read that they never DID work right. So Mr. Yamaha, if you read this, you owe me $80.

For the last 10 years or so I've been using M-Audio keyboards. I've had 4, the current ones are the MK-461C and the MK-361C. I use them because they are light for gigs, the wheels aren't bad and it's got lots of assignable knobs.

But quality wise that thing is the worst garbage I've ever come across. It sets new ground for breakfast cereal prize construction. I've replaced 4 keys - they just broke off. And I've had the thing apart so many times it's crazy. I ended up buying a broken one 'cause the keys were costing me so much to replace individually. Compared to the repair history of the DX7S that it replaced... whew... but the weight of the Yamaha did me in.

Ableton Live is a useful program but dealing with them you feel like it's not a real company. For whatever reason they still don't make the program comply with the 1983 MIDI standard that every other company and MIDI product I have ever heard of complies with. They are on an island by themselves. Ableton Live does not recognize all the Control Changes up to 127 for instance, and Program Changes in the middle of a bar are mysteriously ignored (?)... stuff like that... and when you phone them... you get nowhere... they say "ya, we're gonna do that soon", and they've been telling me that for a couple of years.

Back