Worst Piece(s) of Gear You've Purchased

The worst things I have purchased include:

1. Gibson Flying V Chinese Copy - I got it for next to nothing, and fixed it up for the kids. Its permanently out so they dont touch my guitars. It looks really cool, and will probably become a wall mount before much longer.

2. CASIO CTK 800 - It's also permanently out for the kids to play as well. It comes with no cool preset songs. If you were to compile the 50 worst songs in musical history, then they would be found as presets on this thing.

Oh, and I guess I should mention Groove Tube "Mullard" re-issues. Those were shit straight out of the box, and Aspen Pittman is a con artist of the highest order IMHO for unleashing that shit on the buying public.

Tubes are something I rarely hit but often miss..

Maybe I got a bad one but the Focusrite Trackmaster. Bought it new when they first came out. Five minutes with this thing and I knew it was a mistake. Just seemed to make good microphones sound like cardboard. Four hundred bucks that could have gone to better use. It's still sitting in a Rubbermade bin in my storage area. I couldn't in good conscience even sell it to anyone. I did use it for a while for DI use and even for VO booth talk-back. Just not a very nice sounding unit.

Wow! I'm really surprised to see that 3 of my all time favorite pieces of gear all made it on page 1 as other people's worst.

Those would be:
1. DBX 376 Tube Amp/Comp/EQ/De-Esser.
2. Neumann TLM 103 Mic [- Love the combo of those -1 & 2 - works perfect for me]
3. Rickenbacker 4003 Bass

I realized that these 3 above aren't in line with the post title, so I will say that I bought a used guitar V-Amp that kept cutting in & out at any given moment.

Still have it -as I don't have the heart to sell it to anyone else since I'm the 3rd fool in line to be sold this piece of sh*t.

And the brand - yup - you guessed it - Behringer!

behringer C1 microphone, it sounded awful in every single way, boosted high mids, harsh, thin and cheap, it doesn't sound good no-matter how good the source is, a truly terrible mic. My favourite mic is my neumann tlm103, it just sounds right on everything you throw at it, unlike cheap and nasty mics.

behringer C1 microphone, it sounded awful in every single way, boosted high mids, harsh, thin and cheap, it doesn't sound good no-matter how good the source is, a truly terrible mic. My favourite mic is my neumann tlm103, it just sounds right on everything you throw at it, unlike cheap and nasty mics.

Maybe true but a bit harsh considering street price for a C1 is $59 and the TLM 103 is $1187 LOL.

Alan.

For the most part I do a lot of research with gear. I bought some elixir coated bass strings that I hated. My bandmate bought a boss dyna drive that I find straight up gross! The damn thing is supposed to emulate the drive channel on a roland cube. ewwww.

getting motu 896 off ebay and takes a crap after 3 months.

the dbx 376 works better for bass di.
its more miss than hit with mics. like the focusrite trackmaster pro

The SM58 I bought off of EBay............or so I thought for the longest time. Got it a couple years ago and it sucked. Checked all the likely indicators to see if it was a fake.........but none were there. I checked everything I could find. Must be the real deal. Kept hearing everyone say how great these mics were........geeez......is everyone nuts? Finally.......and not too long ago at that.......saw a little item that talked about the weight of a fake vs that of the real deal. Checked the weight spec on-line.......put it on my wife's food scale. BINGO!!!!!! FAKE !!!! Have since bought an SM57 and an SM58. Geeeeez.......these ARE good mics.

The SM58 I bought off of EBay............or so I thought for the longest time. Got it a couple years ago and it sucked. Checked all the likely indicators to see if it was a fake.........but none were there. I checked everything I could find. Must be the real deal. Kept hearing everyone say how great these mics were........geeez......is everyone nuts? Finally.......and not too long ago at that.......saw a little item that talked about the weight of a fake vs that of the real deal. Checked the weight spec on-line.......put it on my wife's food scale. BINGO!!!!!! FAKE !!!! Have since bought an SM57 and an SM58. Geeeeez.......these ARE good mics.

yep, my mate had a fake sm57 and you could really tell, not only did it sound terrible but he wondered why my sm57 sounded so much better, the real thing really does sound good, same with the 58

TLM103 from Neumann - for the price there are better mics with more variety of use.

Seriously considering purchasing the Neumann TLM103 as my first serious vocal condenser. Wondering what you didn't like about it, and which other mics you prefer in the price range?

Back