My Studio

toddfugere

I think it's cool to see home studios, not sure if this is the right thread for this?

Here's my studio. It's a 10x10 room in my basement. Adding the acoustic treatment to the walls was the best decision I ever made. I primarily record only myself and acoustic instruments, plus vocals. Electric guitar and bass are usually direct and keys are typically done via midi. For my drums I use SD3.

20180702_155751.jpg 20180702_155741.jpg
20180702_155820.jpg 20180702_155805.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there is no Leslie. Still sounds cool AF tho. Twas my grandpa's Hammond. Still have the paperwork from when he bought it.

Very cool! What I admire is the cool vibe of the room. I have Muppets and strange things around my rooms, but it is stinky and dirty like the musicians I have in my space...

Feels like home tho.

I should clean up. :)

Very cool! What I admire is the cool vibe of the room. I have Muppets and strange things around my rooms, but it is stinky and dirty like the musicians I have in my space...

Feels like home tho.

I should clean up. :)
In one of those socially unacceptable types. People are going to gasp and shudder, and clutch pearls, and condemn me. Probably some will pat themselves on the back praising their own superiority as well. ;)

I smoke in my studio!#!! :eek:
The horror!
:D

In one of those socially unacceptable types. People are going to gasp and shudder, and clutch pearls, and condemn me. Probably some will pat themselves on the back praising their own superiority as well. ;)

The horror!

Way back in the day before I got that monkey off my back...I use to smoke in my studio too.
There was just no way to spend 10+ hours in the studio and avoid smoking.
It was a different time, different attitudes, and it seemed like everyone smoked, so no one minded you smoking or the stink of it. :p

Not preaching here...but it's been now 23 years since quitting, and it was one of the best choices I ever made.

Way back in the day before I got that monkey off my back...I use to smoke in my studio too.
There was just no way to spend 10+ hours in the studio and avoid smoking.
It was a different time, different attitudes, and it seemed like everyone smoked, so no one minded you smoking or the stink of it. :p

Not preaching here...but it's been now 23 years since quitting, and it was one of the best choices I ever made.

Yeah, if I quit, I wouldn't smoke in my studio any more either. ; )
23 years, eh? Good on you!

But back to the studio. Nice setup. Looks up to the task of whatever inspiration hits.

The Hammond is an M101. Sounds really rad too. Gets kinda noisy for recording.

Sometimes feels a little cluttered. Need more space. Lighting is kind of an issue for me as well. I like the pot lights, but I sometimes like "vibe" lighting when doing vox, etc. Need to come up with a cool solution for that too. Someday I'll hang panels on the ceiling as well.

Last edited:
Like Miro, I also have an L100 (L103). As good as they sound raw, you gotta figure out a spot in there and cash for a Leslie. I bought my Hammond rig one year ago, L103 and Leslie 145. I had to do a lot of contact cleaning on switches and drawbars and general clean-up and oiling of the organ and just a little work goes a long way to bringing them back to life. Just the clean-up work I did got the organ belching out loud and clear. The Leslie is the icing on the cake. I mean it sounds really Great!! I can't play well, but I put the pedal to the floor and toggle the Leslie speed up and down while pretending to play, and it's just sooo cool!

You likely already know but please make sure to do annual maintenance and keep that tone generator oiled for best performance. Sorry, but I just love Hammonds...and Leslies!

Nice recording space too! Have fun! that's all I do.

The Hammond is an M101. Sounds really rad too. Gets kinda noisy for recording.

Noisy in what way?
If you mean just the way it plays...then you have to clean things, oil things...like magoo said.
If you mean in the way you have to mic it to record it...I've experimented with a lot of ways, even have an external 212 cab loaded with the exact same Hammond speakers as what is in the organ...so I can move the cab well away from the organ...but lately I've also found a way to record it DI, using some of the Radial boxes and/or a typical guitar attenuator with a Line out (Weber Mini Mass).

That said....

Like Miro, I also have an L100 (L103). As good as they sound raw, you gotta figure out a spot in there and cash for a Leslie. I bought my Hammond rig one year ago, L103 and Leslie 145.

...I have LUSTED after a Leslie cab to marry up with my L-103...and have looked and looked, but most times, the right Leslie that is not crazy pricey and fairly local so I can go pick it up...just never materialized.

Can you tell me exactly what you needed (cables/adapters) for marrying the 103 to the 145?
If I recall...is the 145 just a drum Leslie...or does it also have the horns?
Also...are you able to incorporate the speed switches and anything else with the 103 & 145...?

I'm sure just using a Leslie straight at one speed, is WAY cooler than the on-board Vibrato/Chorus of the 103...but the thing about a Leslie that always gets me in the knees, is when you can also do that ramp up/down with the speeds...etc....but I fear that for that, you need to big boy Hammonds, and the full-tilt Leslie with all the trimmings.

Noisy like you know the whirring sound when you start it up. Kinda has a humming/whirring sound when it runs too. Always has. I can record it, but you gotta really crank er up to drown out the whir.

The horror!

I finally quit in 2013 after 30+ years of goo-ing up gear. One morning I dropped something under my desk and found an unused cig I had dropped . I kept it and display it just so I can sneer at it as I walk by, but it's totally there in case of emergency! I have said it before but I will repeat- if I live to be 80 I'm going to start smoking again and have bacon for every meal and drink my liver to rebellion

Back