Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Guitar Recording 101

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    a note of thanks for taking the time to write this useful article. muchas gracias

Thanks
    Thanks for this Strat. Very well explained and do-able for us rookies!

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    My lad sent the attached over yesterday from France.

Using an SM57 and an 58 he is not sure is genuine! Soundcraft 8fx USB mixer.

He says "please excuse the fluffs".

Dave.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    My lad sent the attached over yesterday from France.

Using an SM57 and an 58 he is not sure is genuine! Soundcraft 8fx USB mixer.

He says "please excuse the fluffs".

Dave.
    Darn nice playing! Once again, proving that the recording's success or failure is 80%, or likely more, all about the performance.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Woah, great explanation (guide)

Do you have any ideas on how to stop an annoying piercing high string? I am trying to record an arpeggio but everytime I hit the high string it dominates and hurts my ears. I have tried using different thickness picks, recutting my nail, picking as soft as I can but feels very awkward to play when I try to compensate like this. And with the mics, I've tried spaced A-B, X-Y, a mono mic, just recording from like 6ft back, and even further. An over the shoulder approach. I'm getting sick of trying. . .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamEZmusic View Post
    Woah, great explanation (guide)

Do you have any ideas on how to stop an annoying piercing high string? I am trying to record an arpeggio but everytime I hit the high string it dominates and hurts my ears. I have tried using different thickness picks, recutting my nail, picking as soft as I can but feels very awkward to play when I try to compensate like this. And with the mics, I've tried spaced A-B, X-Y, a mono mic, just recording from like 6ft back, and even further. An over the shoulder approach. I'm getting sick of trying. . .
    Offhand, it's likely equipment or technique. It seems like you've worked to rule out the mic(s) in your setup.

Have you recorded a different guitar to determine if it's the guitar setup/strings that are contributing to this? It may feel awkward because you've got to change your technique, but that's something a teacher might be able to diagnose. (This kind of problem might be easier to discuss if you could attach a recording.)
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Have you tried different strings? What guitar, what strings, what gauge are you using? Possibly going to a thinner string woudl work (or a thicker one).
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Not tried different strings, I havent got much clue on what to buy yet. I will be passing the store tomorrow and will pop in to try another set out.

Now.... I wanted to record a nice ambient guitar and I am hitting some arpeggios but whenever I hit high e string, it's verrry painful especially on the mic.
    I was really hoping to be able to cover this

http:// soundcloud.com/jamezmusic-1/ambient-guitar-reference/s-RFblr

I am just about ready to throw the towel in for now though, i wasted 2 days trying to sort out that horrible high e string, playing as softly as I can, re-cutting my nail, multiple mic combinations, some processing in daw. no such luck.

I didn't manage to get a recording of the ambient guitar attempt (link above) but today I re-did a recording of something I did in the past (that actually sounded good) ( same guitar )... only this time.... same twangy high string again. Please excuse the choice of song. it's just a silent hill rhythm part but it's easy to play and easy to problem solve. Anyways, here it is.

https:// soundcloud.com/jamezmusic-1/tiiing-tiiiing/s-OVQbJ

I will be able to get a recording of the ultra twangy arpeggio part for the ambient song in the first link tomorrow. which sounds far worse because I am hitting the high E string every third note so it's just ultra painful all the way through. . .

Really getting peed off with this. hopefully I don't have to spend a stupid amount of money again on more studio equipment, in this case guitar, or treatment... i dunno.

Cheers!

Edit: having lots of trouble tring to get the soundcloud links to work without error. I had to leave a space between http:// to get the link to show up :-/

Also, I don't know what thickness string I currently have, but am going to buy some much thicker ones if I can to see if that solves the problem.
    Last edited by JamEZmusic; 01-11-2020 at 08:45. Reason: fixing links

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    The simplest way to get a clip on here I find is to turn it into a high res' MP3 320k, then attach it.

I have heard that one in a great many stringed instruments, violins,cellos and I think guitars can have 'wolf note' or notes and, at least in 'clasical' circles such an instrument is considered firewood!

Let us such drastic action is nor required here. You also see wee 'mute' (?) below the bridge on some of the strings of a violin.

Dave.

Thanks
    ecc83,

I found some nylon strings and thought i would re-string the guitar, not entirely sure but I may possibly have solved the issue. These strings are extremely dull in comparison, but I really feel like that's going to be a good thing with my bright condenser mics, and if I can high shelf boost at 8k or so without bringing out harshness then it may actually be ideal. . .

I can't say for sure if I have found the answer, I have yet to shove a mic up close but if anything I feel like the strings are too warm now.. I will have a play tomorrow and see if I can finally move on from this.

I've had decent recordings of this same guitar in the past, but I was also using different strings, in a different room, I am sure i used some multiband to duck an offending frequency though but it was so long ago and not sure how "bad" that frequency was.

Anyways, now I feel like I hit the reset button. I will track some more with it tomorrow and see how it goes.

I missed this forum....... I missed mixing..... I missed playing, damn I will never go so long without my hobby ever again! As stressful as it is sometimes.

Thread Information