Acoustic Piezo RUMBLE!!!!! with prizes!

I'm not worthy sir but I thank you just the same. I was in a band in Detroit and we did Heart Of The Sunrise, Long Distance Runaround and some ELP tunes and such. LOTS of fun.
mshilarious, I'm looking forward to your entry sir.

I missed this thread 'coz of the acoustic and what not requirement. But Track Rat, I just listened to the Mood For A Day and very nice. I love the sound of the piece. Nice playing man! I know that Takamines sound good for a reason. Now, I know what all those guitar nuts are talking about running around talking about their Les Pauls. This is what is means to have a guitar that you just love the sound of. I didn't get that before. In now way downgrading yer playing here. But this on a Yamaha would have been just so different! To me, that is.

Not saying that I can identify a Takamine all the time but there's something about the sound that I like. :)

You go man!

I don't have a piezo. :( Will it count If I use a piece of string, two cans, and shove a mic in one can while playing in another room? I could call mine a piezo shit. :D

Sorry.

Great playing all around!

I don't have a piezo. Will it count If I use a piece of string, two cans, and shove a mic in one can while playing in another room?
OK with me. But the can at the gtr end has to be attached to the instrument - maybe slap that puppy on your Martin with a couple wood screws or some quick-cure epoxy, heh-heh. :D

Tim

Hmmm ... the passive one in my battered Crafter is bust, but I have a pretty knackered Japanese Aria with the cheapest EQ system I could find in it (£40 fitted ... that's like $60). I might just but it out through a Behringer preamp/DI to show you just how bad it can sound! :D:D

Me and the Takamine intend to revive this thread. I have to tell you from the start that I am biased and hate the piezo sound. I bought the Tak because of all the glowing comments about its live sound run through a PA.

I almost never plug it in. I mic it with an SM57 live unless I get feedback problems in the room.

I coulda bought a decent low-mid range Martin for what I paid for the Takamine and been one hell of alot happier.

I'll tell you what though, this Rumble seems a little pointless unless there is some compare & contrast so I'll record the same bit on the Takamine and on an ancient Gretsch acoustic archtop (circa 1938 or 1945, depending on who you believe) and we can compare 'em.

GoldFalcon said:
I'll tell you what though, this Rumble seems a little pointless unless there is some compare & contrast so I'll record the same bit on the Takamine and on an ancient Gretsch acoustic archtop (circa 1938 or 1945, depending on who you believe) and we can compare 'em.

Sorry, but that isn't the point. We know that generally acoustics are always going to sound better miced. The argument was does a piezo strip the character of the instrument to the extent that an Ovation sounds as good as any other guitar with a piezo? I say no.

In the two weeks since I started this thread, I've regrown my right hand fingernails, which I haven't had in 15 years . . . I'm gettin' dangerous :mad: :) ;)

PS you can probably improve the piezo tone on your Takamine with a well-fit bone saddle and a proper buffer circuit. I wonder if that's the trouble with built-in pres on piezo acoustics.

Okay, here's my attempt.......

I double tracked the acoustic (with piezo), pushed one slightly left and one right with a hall reverb on the right (it bleeds a bit overall). Oh, and fingers only. DI'd into 4 track.

A cheapy Zoom MRS-4 digital 4-track....... then dumped to the puter through 1/8" line input and recorded/compressed to mp3 using Audio Hijack.

Timothy Lawler said:
Pretty tune... a very silver-y tone. It was done to 4 track cassette or digital?

Tim

OK, here is my bite : the first part of my background collection (out of four) is my 3 manual calimba,
transduced with a barcus berry outsider piezo. A left and right delay is added.
The other thre instruments (tongue drum, grass harp, Balafon i used Schoeps airwave transducer (known as microphone.. :D )

A.J.

Alf Jetzer said:
OK, here is my bite : the first part of my background collection (out of four) is my 3 manual calimba,
transduced with a barcus berry outsider piezo. A left and right delay is added.
Alf that's beautiful. The piezo worked great on this. I'm trying to visualize a 3 manual kalimba and seeing in my mind's eye a 3 manual harpsichord with little thumbable nibs instead of keys. :D Got a picture?

Tim

sile2001 said:
So...what kind of pickup does the Taylor Expression System officially qualify as?
According to the Tayor site ituses "Dynamic Body Sensors - A magnetic assembly translates the motion of the guitar top into an electrical signal." So it appears to be a direct contact transducer... sounds OK to me. But I'm not a judge... I'm a vicious competitor.

Tim

Last edited:
One point for MS. B*stard. :p

But I'm actually a low viscosity competitor who's competitively vicious and overly reliant on spell checking.

Tim

Last edited:
Timothy Lawler said:
Great playing IMO. Is that using the Ovation Adamas in the picture on the Nowhere Radio page? Glad you jumped into the rumble mixmkr.

Tim

no...those Ovations sound awful, eh!!! :eek: :D :D

Actually it was a pawnshop Epi acoustic.
I love the Ovation however, no matter what everyone else thinks :) ...and I DON'T know any Melissa Ethridge songs either ;)

Thanks for listening.

Timothy Lawler said:
:D Got a picture?
sorry no camera, no picture yet.

Here is another thing from the ethnic-corner. It's a modified bowed string instrument. I named it Ethnoviola, using the same Barcus berry piezo:

A.J.

Back