Tips for buying used gear

I've been doing some shopping on the used market lately (especially for a tape deck) and have been surprised at how dishonest and unprincipled many sellers are. For every good one, there's at least two or three trying to take advantage of naive, inexperienced, or overeager buyers.

The following are a set of rules and warning signs I've come to rely on when shopping for used gear. I learned most of this stuff the hard way over many years and hope someone can benefit from my experiences.

If anyone has any tips of their own or horror stories they'd like to share, I'd like to hear them.

The two cardinal rules of buying:

* Never try to negotiate a deal that you're not prepared to walk away from if you aren't satisfied with the terms being offered.

* Never pay more for an item than what you would be able to sell it for.

Signs you're being hustled:

* Seller tries to pressure you into buying by telling you that "someone else is coming to see it" (this is seldom true, especially when the price is high and he's been trying to sell it for a while).

* Seller claims a machine has been professionally serviced but is unable or unwilling to provide a receipt or to even tell you who serviced it.

* Seller is unwilling to let you fully examine and test the machine.

* Seller won't answer simple, reasonable questions.

* Seller makes contradictory claims.

* Seller says he is unable to verify that the machine works and is thus selling it as-is but is nevertheless asking as much as a working machine in good condition would cost.

"Deals" to avoid:

* Don't buy anything off eBay on an "as-is" basis, unless you're buying it dirt cheap as a parts machine or as a fix-it project.

* Don't even bother responding to classified ads or online auctions in which the asking price is grossly exaggerated. In my experience, the person who places such an ad has an unrealistic idea of how much the item is worth and nothing you can say will persuade him to offer you a fair price. You want to be dealing with people who actually want to sell their items, not with opportunistic punks who found some "vintage" gear with "famous" names in their grandmothers' garages and think they've hit the jackpot.

Last edited:
.....the person who places such an ad has an unrealistic idea of how much the item is worth and nothing you can say will persuade him to offer you a fair price. You want to be dealing with people who actually want to sell their items, not with opportunistic punks who found some "vintage" gear with "famous" names in their grandmothers' garages and think they've hit the jackpot.

There's no way I could ever afford the whole lot of "used gear" if sellers were offering ONLY fair price.
Thankfully, it's not so :cool:
And, hey! I must be one of those "opportunistic punks " who's always looking to get more for less, or better say - something for nothing :D

Huh, also, I buy exclusively items that are being sold "AS IS" (including the items that are advertised otherwise :) ). If there anything in the description such as: "guarantee to work", "satisfaction guarantee", "works great as new", "nothing is wrong with device" etc etc - I simply ignore all that "stuff" :p
Also, if I ever happen to sell a used (or vintage) piece of electronics - I only sell it strictly "AS IS!", no guarantee, no return, no nonsensens. And I put "AS IS!" in bald and in red.

P.S.
Rules are for slaves.

I've had a few bad experiences buying used, so I think for me the bottom line is I understand a certain element of risk and is the risk/reward ratio acceptable.

BTW,

Do you really cut mono 45's???

Hm...

Looking back it appears that gear has to either be located far, far from me and pickup only, be missing the power supply, or be of completely unknown condition for me to buy...seems dirt cheap is pretty much my only prerequisite...it seems to be a plus if it is missing key components...sick. Sick, sick, sick.

I noticed about a week or so ago a seller on junkbay was parting with his Tascam 32 and gave a general description of the machine and said he had no way to test it. The funny part was he wanted people to look at the pics, but the deck had a full 10 1/2" reel of tape on it. Either the pics were not of his machine or something. It just struck me as odd.

For me there is one simple rule I all ways follow... Try it before you buy it. I've got a room full of junk that I got before I started to apply this simple idea.

I noticed about a week or so ago a seller on junkbay was parting with his Tascam 32 and gave a general description of the machine and said he had no way to test it. The funny part was he wanted people to look at the pics, but the deck had a full 10 1/2" reel of tape on it. Either the pics were not of his machine or something. It just struck me as odd.

I think I saw that one! Or I saw one very similar. He said he had no way to test it, and it also said "Comes with everything you see in the picture." And in the picture was the deck loaded up with tape.

I sent him a question about that, but I never heard anything back. Funny.

Probably the #1 rule in buying used is to know your products. Study the models, the lines, research it, know what usually screws up on it, the history of the companies. It's like that buying cars or really anything.

Often the best deals are when something is wrong or missing, and if you know the products that won't scare you off. Sometimes it isn't worth buying used.

It helps if you can do repairs and are somewhat of a DIY-er.

P.S. Rules are for slaves.

Well then, let's just call them "guidelines." You are, of course, entirely free to disregard them.

Here's another "guideline" --

Be wary of any used equipment being sold by places that do rentals. They're probably trying to squeeze the last bit of money they can get from a piece of equipment that's on its last legs. If it was still in good shape, they'd be renting it, not selling it.

Trust your instincts!

Haha. I might be one of the newbies that got a bad deal.

I'm one of those guys who got a reel to reel on eBay "as is" :o It wasn't a whole lot of money but I'm in hopes that it's in better condition than my Sony. (This was before seeing the sticky about packaging and shipping and seeing some horror stories :( we'll see when it shows up.

Here's another one: Watch out when buying things new from a store that they don't try to slip you a floor/demo model at the last minute. Shamefully, I've been had three times at three different stores by this ruse, always on big-ticket items.

Here's how it goes: You negotiate on what you assume is a brand-new, boxed item; the price comes down; and when you've paid for it and are about to take it home, you're given the floor model and told it's the last one they have in stock and that ordering a new one in will cost more and/or result in a long delay.

Most of the floor units I've gotten have been OK, but you should be getting a bigger discount than the one you bargained for if you're going to accept one. You should at least know that you're getting a floor model before you buy it.

When negotiating, always ask how many units the store has in stock beforehand and have the salesman explicitly acknowledge that you're negotiating for a brand-new, unopened product if that's what you expect to receive.

Last edited:
Back