Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Packing 101 (read this if you want your recorder / mixer to arrive in one piece)

Beck Guest
    Sign in to disable this ad
    bump!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails three_stooges-jpg  

Thanks
    Thank you my friend!

Thanks
    Speaking of descriptive images, where is the good 'ol Doc at, Dr. Zee ?

Thanks
    ***BUMP***

Thanks

My 22-4 is a bust

Alright people, you might remember the thread "what to buy, etc..." that I posted not too long ago. Well this is the last part of the story. I received my 22-4 in the mail, and yep it was busted. Sucks SOOOOOO BAD! It was dropped or something in shipping, thankfully the item was insured. Next week I have to go to the post office to file my claim, and I should be able to get the insurance money no problem, seeing as I have everything required to do so. I had ordered the extra ribber parts, the tension rollers, the manual, even bought some tape in anticipation...but alas, screwed. It's really a shame because the deck seems pretty nice overall. The transport works, but I can't get any signal into the deck, and it looks like the motor may be broken because the pinch roller does not move when playing. You can see in the picks the point of impact and the shockwaves it sent to the bottom circuit board. Anyone who's been in this boat knows how bad it sucks...please people, keep this thread alive, so that ignoramuses like me can forgo a nightmare lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce. My dreams of a reel to reel deck have been dashed for now, but I still have my minty 246! That makes me feel good. I'm taking this as a sign that I should stick with the 246 for now and try to recoup some of my losses. I'm sending the parts I ordered back to Tascam. Needless to say the deck is up for sale for parts after I finish filing my claim (unless the post office keeps the deck). The heads look really good as far as I can tell, and the transport functions work well. The face looks nice too. Actually, I bet anyone who is handy could get it up and running. I'm going on vacation for a few days, so if anyone wants the hole kit and kaboodle including the tension roller parts with the caps, the belts and the manual, just pm me. If not, I will try to recoup. I still love ebay, just not for anything real heavy and delicate like reel to reel decks. Man this sucked.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1-jpg  2-jpg  3-jpg  4-jpg 

Beck Guest
    How was it packed? USPS may not be to blame and may not accept responsibility.

More often than not it's the seller that commits the murder through inadequate packing.

Anyway, be sure to file a complaint with eBay and paypal if applicable.

Thanks
    Ouch. That is why I won't buy equipment off feebay. I have ordered supplies and such for my reel to reel and the people I bought them from shipped via USPS. Everything that I received looked like they were untouched, except that someone had to put the postal tape and label on the box.

I used to work for DHL. I wouldn't trust them to deliver a paper bag full of sh!t. I know each company has their faults and all of them have screwed up, however, after being a driver and then going someplace else and being in charge of shipping, DHL kills.

Thanks
    At least 50% of all such deals get busted up during shipping. While most of the time it's the IDIOT SELLERS' fault, my experience has been that it's very, very difficult to prove and it's much easier to work with the seller at filing a damage claim. If, on the other hand, the shipping company fails to accept responsibility, as Tim points out, which is very possible, go after the seller and file a PayPal / eBay complaint.

ksounds: put the machine back together and have it as you received it. In my PM to you I said to keep all packing materials so make sure you do. Also, take lots of photos as PROOF. Can you post larger picts, even if you have to link them, of not only the recorder but also the PACKING used?

We may lead you to make a good case for insufficient packing [ 99.9% likely].

EVERY shipping company tosses and drops every, and any kind of package, repeatedly, from scary heights, from conveyor belts to workers trying to get things done on time.

It is an absolute art and science to pack open reel decks and heavier gear properly and to use Fedex Express or Overnight is a bonus. The better it is packed and shorter it is in transit the better.

ALWAYS GO FOR LOCAL DEALS ABOVE ALL ELSE.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ksounds
    but I still have my minty 246! That makes me feel good. I'm taking this as a sign that I should stick with the 246 for now
    I always like to look at bad experiences is such a fashion. Good for you.

Beck Guest
    After I win a bid I follow up with communicating shipping requirements. If the seller can’t agree to pack the item with a specified amount and type of padding the deal is off. I’ve refused to follow-through a couple of times. eBay has a provision for both parties to agree not to complete the transaction. The seller gets the listing and final value fee refunded and no feedback is left by mutual agreement. No harm, no foul as far as eBay is concerned.

I wouldn’t discount eBay and having items shipped altogether… rather learn what type of auctions and sellers are good bets.

Frankly, that one looked bad from the beginning.

The “istoldit” ‘don’t-know-what-this-here-thang-is-or-how-to-test-it-but-it-powers-up type auctions are high risk in every respect… not recommended for the serious buyer except perhaps for parts.

Things can and will go wrong, but you can reduce the chance and incidence of eBay disasters.

Be willing to pay more for an item from a knowledgeable seller. You will actually pay less in the long run.

Thread Information