Mackie CR1604-VLZ 16 track mixer for studio use?

The fact is that the OP's mixer is not really designed for recording purposes so anything is going to be something of a compromise and potentially make things a bit "clunky".

If he's determined to go down this path he'd be much better replacing his mixer with a Mackie 16/8 or better yet a Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 channel desk although a 24 channel would give much more flexibility. Both of these mixers have dedicated tape sends and returns as well as inserts.

:cool:

Did I read that you are recording from the inserts?

Well the signal would start from the line in then I’d be using the inserts to send the signal back and forth from the recorder. Would this mean that the signal couldn’t be EQd before the recording but only post? That would be unfortunate but not a major set back.

Well the signal would start from the line in then I’d be using the inserts to send the signal back and forth from the recorder. Would this mean that the signal couldn’t be EQd before the recording but only post? That would be unfortunate but not a major set back.

Err? Yes!(no?) The insert is, AFAICT pre HPFilter and definitely pre EQ. You could take a record feed from the Direct Out but that is also post channel fader and I could see that being a nuisance to a disaster! It is possible that there are jumpers in the mixer to change these routings but I doubt it.

Have you got the user manual to hand? If not DO download it and study pp 4-5, the block signal diagram. This is the sort of stuff you really, really need to know.

BTW I have not done any "proper" tape recording for a long time but if you DO go for "EQ on the way in" be careful. There is already a bit of HF boost in the (NAB probably) EQ and hitting the tape even harder can get nasty.

Dave.

I have one of these that I use as a "monitor mixer". I am curious as to what you are doing with the sub outs? I have powered monitors on the main outs, one passive monitor amp on sub outs 1/2 and another amp/speaker set on sub outs 3/4 so everything can be independently volume controlled. Also I am curious if you have the manual available? The optimal input gain setting procedure is spelled out in it and the solo buttons and rude solo light are quite easy to use. There are also several block diagrams of signal flow and possible studio setup connections. There are also the aux send/returns that can be used as outputs.

? Not on the diagram I found friend. Be rather good if it was.

Dave.

Hm, I was going from memory but it looks like my memory is incorrect. Maybe it's my GB2R that's wired that way.

The Mackie has direct outputs on the first eight channels. The OP could operate it like an 8-track split console setup until he needed more tracks, then switch to the inserts.

The Mackie has direct outputs on the first eight channels. The OP could operate it like an 8-track split console setup until he needed more tracks, then switch to the inserts.

I doubt that at all 16 tracks would be recorded at the same time. So yes, this is a good way.

You know what would be ideal? Getting a better, with more inputs mixer. :D

Back