Found a local Tascam MS16

AllenM

Hey all. I found a tascam ms16 locally. The guy told me through the phone that it has had only two owners. It also comes with a stand, meters, 2 reels of tape, take up reel, calibration tape, transport and track arm remotes and all cables. He wants 1,000 - 1,300. Im going to see it tomorrow. Is this a good deal... I'm not really sure.

I'm not sure anymore myself. It does come with some good extras. See if you can try it out when you go check it out. Either way it's a lot of money so make sure it's worth it.

Loved my ms16 and a good deal for $1000 with those extras. Will sound better than the 38 but tape is more expensive.

I've never had one but I would love to buy it myself. If it all works I'd think for 1,000.00 balloons you can't go wrong.

Allen, you didn't mention anything about the dbx noise reduction units...does it come with those too? They come in mightily handy to keep the noise down and are near impossible to find ala-carte if they're not included.

For an in person pre-inspection, check the heads, guides, lifters and rubber to see what kind of wear is on them and also make sure that all 16 channel work from both the sync and repro head. If any work is required on the deck or if the dbx isn't included, it could be a very costly venture to get it all up to snuff....trust me on this. :o

Cheers! :)

I used an MS16 years ago and thought it was horrible. Really, it just sounded cheap, nowhere near my Otari MX5050's tone, not even close. Even the Otari wasn't as good as MCI's I used. If I were to get back into reel to reels I'd go for the good stuff. Why not, there's probably great deals out there on pro level stuff.

Allen

If you do end up getting that 16 track i hope it works out well for you. It would no doubt be epic.

But, i urge you to consider the following things before forking out any money:

1. Tape cost. I know it sounds like not a big deal, but it becomes a big deal pretty fast. I dont know what your income level is, but i would assume that dropping 500-600 dollars for a 4 pack of 1" tape a couple times a year would be less than ideal.

2. Test tape. When you end up getting the test tape for your machine, it will not be cheap. The test tape will cost you about 300-500 dollars.

3. Repairs etc. If you eventually need the machine to be repaired, it is very large and bulky. Shipping it around wont be easy. If you ever decide to sell the machine, this factor might become a big hurdle as well.

4. Ease of use. I dont know what your work method is, but threading up a couple hundred dollars worth of tape every time you get an idea might not be ideal. You may end up just using your smaller reel to reel for ideas, and then realizing that you like how the original track sounds and wonder why you even need the bigger machine. This is something that may or may not be a problem for you, but i think you should at least consider it.

5. Noise. Do you live with room mates or parents etc? Im no expert but i assume that a tape machine of that size makes a pretty decent sounding "THWAK" every time you start or stop the tape. Not exactly fun to be dealing with that in the same room that the mics are in at 4 am while yer mom is beating on the wall because the tape machine is loud as hell when you press stop during rewind etc. I have never used a machine of this size. I just think you should consider what youll have to adjust in your method if the thing is loud during operation.

6. Tape fright. Yeah, its just like stage fright except it occurs when you thread your 200 dollar tape onto the machine and you get this feeling like anything you record has to be brilliant because the tape costs so much and the machine is so "pro". Expensive tape and big machines can subconsciously make you feel like you have to be making your Sgt Pepper every time you sit down to them (when you are new to recording on such machines). You may never feel this. But i certainly did. So i think its something to consider.

Thats all i got.

PS- Have you considered getting a 388 thats in great condition? Cheap tape, built in mixer, small size, looks awesome, and its been used successfully by a ton of great people in the past. If you need more tracks, and you dont want to deal with high tape costs, and you dont have alot of room, you might want to look at getting a solid clean 388. Personally, i think its right at the level you are at.

Last edited:
By the way, guys, if you have an MS-16 that you'd like to get rid of, you know, for, free, you can always send them to me... ;)

I used an MS16 years ago and thought it was horrible. Really, it just sounded cheap, nowhere near my Otari MX5050's tone, not even close. Even the Otari wasn't as good as MCI's I used. If I were to get back into reel to reels I'd go for the good stuff. Why not, there's probably great deals out there on pro level stuff.

:confused:
There must have been something seriously wrong with the MS-16 that you used. I have used them since they were introduced in about 1986 ( I am still using one) and I cannot find anything at all wrong with them. Originally, we had one hooked up to a Allen and Heath Brennell System 8 console. British eq works fabulously with that recorder.

I have a MX5050 here also and I would say the Otari and the MS-16 are just about the same. I have also recorded many times on a MCI JH24 and they are fantastic recorders and no doubt thousands of hits were and still are recorded on them, but many other things come into play also. Like the console. My brother has a MCI JH24 and a APR 24 but they are being used with a Tascam M3700. Otoh, I use mine with a Malcom Toft ATB 32 console and the sonic difference between the two setups is nil for all practical purposes.

Regardless, I am of the opinion that with the right console and nice pres, the TASCAM MS-16 can be counted on for great music, shimmering cymbals and amazing bottom. I just wouldn't recommend that it be used with a lower tier console if someone wants the best sounds out of it.

Best,

Danny

6. Tape fright. Yeah, its just like stage fright except it occurs when you thread your 200 dollar tape onto the machine and you get this feeling like anything you record has to be brilliant because the tape costs so much and the machine is so "pro". Expensive tape and big machines can subconsciously make you feel like you have to be making your Sgt Pepper every time you sit down to them (when you are new to recording on such machines). You may never feel this. But i certainly did. So i think its something to consider.

Hell, I get that with cassettes, since I'm not sitting on a stockpile of thousands of them, unlike some other nameless individuals in this forum.:p It's a pain to find good Type II cassettes at a price that doesn't leave me feeling brutally violated.:mad:

haha

That sucks to hear. Back when i was using cassettes with a 4 track they were everywhere. Too bad when even cassette tape is becoming rare.

Hell, I get that with cassettes, since I'm not sitting on a stockpile of thousands of them, unlike some other nameless individuals in this forum.:p It's a pain to find good Type II cassettes at a price that doesn't leave me feeling brutally violated.:mad:

Why don't you hit A Reel Person AKA Dave up for some cassettes? He might be able to sell you a truck or two. Seriously, he has pics that show endless amounts of them.

Also what kind of mixer would I use for it? Ah, I hope a make a good decision by buying this... but I really do need 16 tracks.

Also what kind of mixer would I use for it? Ah, I hope a make a good decision by buying this... but I really do need 16 tracks.

You could probably go with one of the various 16 or 24 channel Tascam mixers. On the more inexpensive side. I see them on Craigslist quite a bit. $300 - $600.

Back