Found a local Tascam MS16

Before I buy the machine I will post photos of the heads, transports, etc.
The ms16 doesnt come with dbx but the guy told me that it sounds WAY better without it. Do any of you all know if someone is selling a tascam M520?

Allen, you didn't mention anything about the dbx noise reduction units...does it come with those too? They come in mightily handy to keep the noise down and are near impossible to find ala-carte if they're not included.

For an in person pre-inspection, check the heads, guides, lifters and rubber to see what kind of wear is on them and also make sure that all 16 channel work from both the sync and repro head. If any work is required on the deck or if the dbx isn't included, it could be a very costly venture to get it all up to snuff....trust me on this. :o

Cheers! :)

cough.

Have you heard an MS16? I used one and I hated the sound. To me it was a POS. I think you would be light years ahead using a computer and put the money into a pair of tube compressors to run the digital through. I haven't heard an Art VLA and that might even work. I know my Summits would.

Tape costs a fortune too. The Otari and MCI reel to reels had the sound to me, the Tascam was a joke - it sounded cheap.

Just my opinion, and I hate to be a party-pooper but I'd hate to see someone buy one of these things thinking it would give them the reel to reel experience and not a bad headache.

Last edited:
Have you heard an MS16? I used one and I hated the sound.

I'm not trying to be rude or daft, but I have to argue when someone says that a Tascam ATR doesn't sound good. Was it being used correctly? I've done some really fantastic sounding stuff on my Tascam 48, and I can do some stuff that sounds as good as my friend's Ampex MM-1200.

I used an MS16 years ago and thought it was horrible. Really, it just sounded cheap, nowhere near my Otari MX5050's tone, not even close. Even the Otari wasn't as good as MCI's I used. If I were to get back into reel to reels I'd go for the good stuff. Why not, there's probably great deals out there on pro level stuff.

Have you heard an MS16? I used one and I hated the sound. To me it was a POS. I think you would be light years ahead using a computer and put the money into a pair of tube compressors to run the digital through. I haven't heard an Art VLA and that might even work. I know my Summits would.

Tape costs a fortune too. The Otari and MCI reel to reels had the sound to me, the Tascam was a joke - it sounded cheap.

Just my opinion, and I hate to be a party-pooper but I'd hate to see someone buy one of these things thinking it would give them the reel to reel experience and not a bad headache.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I also have to add something I've noticed since getting into recording a couple of years ago.

A lot of amateurs use Tascam equipment because it's cheap and easy to find used. Whenever someone says "Tascam equipment doesn't sound good" you have to think about the person who's using it.

Is it someone who doesn't have much experience in recording / mixing / engineering? Do the tracks sound muddy because the engineer didn't check the mics for phasing? Injudicious use of noise reduction? Inexperience with proper / wise EQing? Poor mic placement, or poor mics?

Think about it. I have to wonder when someone makes such a broad statement like that. Tascam wouldn't have been so successful in the 1980s if they made bad products.

Before I buy the machine I will post photos of the heads, transports, etc.
The ms16 doesnt come with dbx but the guy told me that it sounds WAY better without it. Do any of you all know if someone is selling a tascam M520?

Hi,
If you want to get a basic idea of what things sound like on the MS-16 with an without dbx, check out this thread:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=303013

File A is the MS-16 without dbx
File B is the same track with dbx

Both tracks were recorded to the machine simultaneously; one track without the dbx engaged during recording and playback, the other track without dbx on recording and playback. Both tracks were then transferred to digital via an IZ Corp. RADAR V.

For reference, and to show Mr. BeefStew a thing or two, you can hear the same track recorded straight to the RADAR on File D.

-MD

Well... I recorded on my 2 teac 3340s. :eek: I bounced so much and I managed to make it sound good by eqing and producing it well. And I do NEED 16 tracks, and dont want to be bouncing alot. So I would think... maybe this ms16 is a step up from my 1/4 inch 4 track recorder.

Well... I recorded on my 2 teac 3340s. :eek: I bounced so much and I managed to make it sound good by eqing and producing it well. And I do NEED 16 tracks, and dont want to be bouncing alot. So I would think... maybe this ms16 is a step up from my 1/4 inch 4 track recorder.

Oh, totally, I was commenting on dintymoore's posts. (If you're referring to my post, that is)

Yeah, I'm having the same problem here...

Unfortunately, I don't have the files on this computer, so I can't just re-upload then to another server. Try again tomorrow, and if they still don't work, I'll try locating the files and a new server. I'm hoping the tracks can give you a little reference at least.

-MD

I also have to add something I've noticed since getting into recording a couple of years ago.

A lot of amateurs use Tascam equipment because it's cheap and easy to find used. Whenever someone says "Tascam equipment doesn't sound good" you have to think about the person who's using it.

Is it someone who doesn't have much experience in recording / mixing / engineering? Do the tracks sound muddy because the engineer didn't check the mics for phasing? Injudicious use of noise reduction? Inexperience with proper / wise EQing? Poor mic placement, or poor mics?

Think about it. I have to wonder when someone makes such a broad statement like that. Tascam wouldn't have been so successful in the 1980s if they made bad products.

Jeff...tried to rep you...have to "spread it around" first... :(

Listen, I think this is spot-on. I totally get what dinty is saying too, and I appreciate that he is being clear that he is expressing his opinion. That has been his experience. He's got his own ears and others have their own ears and the important thing for you to do, Allen, is to do the best you can to formulate your own opinions and that may mean going and doing some test tracking on that local MS-16.

Jack Endino's site on tape machine response curves has been linked many times here...something to add to the mix of info. There is so much relativity, which is okay until somebody tries to push it as truth, or somebody decides to take it as truth. Again, I appreciate that dinty is pulling no punches on his opinion and he's not trying to make it somebody else's either AFAIC.

I also know that dano has a lot of experience with his MS-16 both technically and from a production standpoint.

I also know I've heard several opinions about the MCI machines sounding flat or sterile...they are also a wildly popular machine historically is being "it" as far as "professional" goes. See?? Just LOOK at all the opinions...and they are all going to be based on the experiences and goals of the ones expressing said opinions. Bring 'em on, adopt what works and chuck the rest but always be mindful of what YOUR experiences and goals are...again, best test is to try the machine out.

I do see DX-8D's coming up every now and then if you decide noise reduction is needed, but figure $350 a pop unless you find a parts machine or go the dbx 150X route...lotta hassle there.

The MS-16 is a well-built well-designed machine.

My opinion is that it can produce very fine recordings. This opinion is based on my limited experience with the model 58 I used to own which utilizes the same amplifier cards.

To return to my initial thoughts as I close...the home recording market has absolutely gone viral in the past 1~2 decades with the advent of digital affordability. What sounds "good" has changed...period. Consumer ears are now tuned to mp3's and I also think ears are tuned to the convention of digitally produced popular music which, in the loudness wars, has been so squashed. This is not a fault of digital technology...it is a result of the symbiotic relationship of the market and consumerism. Anybody with a USB interface or an all-in-one digital studio may now feel they are an engineer or a producer and it is a different scale today. I'm not saying great stuff hasn't or can't come out of the lake today... its just a different point of reference.

There is a dangerous difference in opinions based on experience and opinions based on pride. I know I haven't got the former, so I try to stay away from the latter, and if I'm repeating somebody else's opinon, well then I hope I'm being careful, especially when somebody else is trying to formulate their own.

I'm not trying to make some passive stab at anybody here as I think this has been a great and appropriate discussion, I just think we can all be wary of what we take in and what we produce in words and at least protect ourselves in the process.

Here are photos of the heads. Tell me what you think.

2gwci7r.jpg

2lc6v6p.jpg

34ozg2q.jpg

16aptno.jpg

2wfv09y.jpg

2ldhbud.jpg

The wear looks very minimal, Allen. The pinch roller looks really shiny which may need a good cleaning or rubber reconditioning but isn't a major issue.

Do all 16 channels record and play properly?

The guides look not bad at all. The heads look good if that's just a wavy shadow I see, but I don't trust my own judgement of heads on a picture so I'll let someone else comment.

Oh yeah, that wavy shadow is a reflection of the guide.

Back