anyone making new analog reel to reel decks ?

pianodaze

I could have sworn I saw someone say on the web that tascam still made a 4 track reel to reel , anyone know ?

pianodaze said:
I could have sworn I saw someone say on the web that tascam still made a 4 track reel to reel , anyone know ?

As far as I know the last one was the 2-track BR20 which they dropped in January. Now ATR refurbish Ampex machines, and I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a 4-track machine (for the price of a new car).
Other than that, it's probably Ebay or a gear broker, I'm afraid.

New R2R's

Sad to say I don't know of any being made. I just had my Tascam 38 serviced a week ago and with all they did it was only $225.00 Can't Waite to begin recording!!!

cjacek knows about this...the 34b was being sold by Tascam a number of years ago, but I'm not sure if it was NOS or what. Daniel?

Nothing new that I know of besides the reman units mentioned above, or the monster decks from JFR...2" 8-track...

cjacek knows about this...the 34b was being sold by Tascam a number of years ago, but I'm not sure if it was NOS or what. Daniel?

It wasn't NOS but a specially made batch of 34B recorders. The last ones were sold off just a few years ago.

Based on my conversation with them, TEAC Canada made the arrangement with Japan [to cater to some of their "clients" - whatever that meant] and the machines were stored in their Montebello, CA location. It was never advertised, a kinda hush hush thing for whatever reason. They did retail for $4000CND + tax but sold off like hotcakes, especially when I posted about it here on this very board.:rolleyes:

Why didn't they continue you ask? Well, I was told that Japan wasn't interested in shutting down their entire assembly lines just to make small batches of tape equipment and that this "run" was short and limited, for that very reason. They wanted to "concentrate on digital". Nice story, eh?:D

I always was of the thought that if TEAC had a small, dedicated branch for their analogue product, that they could always find people to buy 'em.

Yeah, I've seen that auction as well and, honestly, I'd be very hesitant due to practically buying blind and trusting the seller's every word. Then there's the shipping issue.:eek:

What strikes me is that exceprt for Otari no one is making new tape decks. But there are still two companies making tape, in all the usual sizes, and Quantegy is supposed to bring back 456 499 and GP9. There seem to be plenty of second hand machines, what happens when all those wear out? I'm really thinking of the narrow gauge heads, like Fostex 80 or Tascam MSR-16. So there is still an analog market. But how much will the lower end of the market be sustainable? Any speculations?

Back