How does one remove counter roller on TASCAM MSR-16?

taraxman

Hi! Wondering if someone could explain how to remove the counter roller on an MSR-16?
Just bought one and it's turned to tar.
Only thing the manual doesn't go into. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!

I can't remember doing this on the TSR-8, but isn't it just a matter of unscrewing the metal cap and it slides off?

I am not near my machine at the moment, but from memory there is a small circlip holding the roller on. You have to remove the circlip. I can't remember if it's internal or external?

Alan.

Attachments

• 0330280403007.png
    0330280403007.png
    289 KB · Views: 100
  • circlip.png
    circlip.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 101
Interesting, the counter roller looked the same on the TSR-8 but it's clearly not. The MSR-24 uses an external circlip, whether the MSR-16 is the same I cannot say.

Looks like I will have to add some circlip pliers to my toolbox at some point.

it maybe also stuck because of the speed sensor at the bottom. remove the front panel and find out what is holding it. If so, then you just need to remove the sensor to get the roller free

It's type a or b. I can't remember exactly, but it rests on top and I'm fairly certain it is type b. It's usually called a "circlip"

I'm not in front of it, but I remember the process. You need a special type of plier to remove it. The tool isn't very expensive. I had to replace mine when I first got the deck. Make sure you keep all the parts safe. You can get a new roller, or one rebuilt by terrysrubberrollers.com

Here is a tool that came up on google, I think I bought one at a Home Depot:

Proto® Internal Retaining Ring Plier, Straight Jaw, 9" | Staples®

thanks so much for your help guys! very lovely of you. got some circlip pliers and it came off fine. appreciated!

You don't have remove the 3 screws to remove the roller. I am a bit confused as how are you seeing the 3 screws on the back without removing the roller?

Alan.

Back