SM58 to record?

odizz

Basically in short...

-I'm looking to record metalcore/post-hardcore with a lot of screaming vocals.
-Purchased at Shure SM58 dynamic mic, as well as M-Audio USB Interface.
-Interface hardly pics up any sound from the mic...

Should I STICK with the SM58 and just buy a different Interface (if so any recommendations?)
OR
Should I keep the interface and buy a condenser mic? (currently thinking mxl990/rode nt1a)

I've never really recorded much before and just want to get started so don't want to be buying advanced equipment, but I at least want equipment I can still get good sounding results with at least.

Thanks in advance.

"-Interface hardly pics up any sound from the mic..."

You have a problem somewhere, which needs to be addressed before spending any more money. You should have no trouble recording most moderate to loud sources with an SM58, using that (or any other) interface.

Are you using a good balanced XLR to XLR cable? Are gain settings (hardware) sensible? Is the software (whatever it is) doing what it should?

I think the problem is your setup, not your choice of bits.

"-Interface hardly pics up any sound from the mic..."

You have a problem somewhere, which needs to be addressed before spending any more money. You should have no trouble recording most moderate to loud sources with an SM58, using that (or any other) interface.

Are you using a good balanced XLR to XLR cable? Are gain settings (hardware) sensible? Is the software (whatever it is) doing what it should?

I think the problem is your setup, not your choice of bits.

this was basically what i was gonna say but was gonna see if the interface was one with the combo xlr/jacks and whether the OP was using an XLR to TS jack instead of just an XLR to XLR and then not getting enough gain

It's a M-Audio Fastrack USB Interface.

As for the XLR cable assuming thats the cable that goes from mic to interface, it was just a £10 they suggested at the store. Didn't know they could be good or bad quality buy for £10 I'm assuming that should be ok quality?

Gain on the interface needs to be literally turned up to FULL to pick up any sound and even then it's minimal which is the problem…Like when I'm recording vocals on Garageband (tried Audacity and Mixcraft as well) it only comes up with small waves cos of such minimal volume.

No ideas why it's like this, after your post i'm assuming that I SHOULD be at least experiencing SOME sound but i'm literally getting nothing even with gain on full…….

As for the XLR cable assuming thats the cable that goes from mic to interface,

That is the one he's talking about, but the important bit was is it XLR to XLR, or XLR to jack?

If you turn the gain up and tap the mic, does the clip light go red on the front of your interface?

It's not a matter of the cable being good quality ..... even the cheapest cable will have the same approximate level as an expensive cable.
It's a matter of whether it's the right cable or if it's working properly.
Is it XLR on both ends or is one end a TRS which looks basically like a guitar plug? If one end is a TRS you need XLR at each end instead.

If it is the right cable (XLR to XLR ) then you need to try another cable that you know works. Even the best cables can come in bad right outta the box.

is the cable from the mic and XLR to XLR or XLR to Jack? XLR to XLR should be fine, whereas XLR to Jack would make the interface assume it's working with a line or instrument input rather than a mic, hence expecting a louder source so the gain starts lower and you can add less. have you or can you get hold of a different mic to try? also, have you got the most up to date drivers for the fast track? the drivers shouldn't be an issue but if it's not the cable or the mic that'd be my next port of call

the other night i couldn't sleep as there were two cats fighting at the bottom of my bed....

i've not owned cats in 10 years

tbh i wouldn't feel so bad if it was some illicit substances but this is just prescription painkillers, which seem to be more crazy than any of the "on the street stuff" i ever remember experimenting with in my youth :(

the worst part of it is the aural hallucinations; i keep hearing my GF talking to me when she's at work, and never just normal stuff. she told me her teeth were bleeding the other day even though i was the only person in the house and when i asked her later she assured me they weren't and she'd never said anything like that in her life.

And since i've managed to pull this thread way off topic with the fun stories of the many side effects of high grade prescription painkillers i feel i should try and pull it back on thread......

so, to the OP, does the cable you got for you SM58 look like this or like this?

Last edited:
XLR/XLR or XLR/Jack should work fine. At least I get a decent level from both with my Mbox 2 Pro and an SM58. I think you've got a problem with some buttons being pressed that shouldn't be. For example you might have a 'pad' on or else you've chosen the wrong channels when you go to record.

Last edited:
Back