SM58 to record?

There is no doubt that the SM57/58 mics are low output mics.
It is also unfornunately the case that the Fast track series do not have much in the way of mic amp gain, but it should work!

The FT usb sports an LED that indicates a level of -40dBu, does this ever blink? I do not have that AI to hand but I do have a FTT pro and this is how that goes..

SM57, gain max, mic at 100mm from gob,"Mary had..." just lights the LED and thus gives me about -25dBFS in my DAW software.

Be systematic in your tests and tell us the results.

Dave.

There is no doubt that the SM57/58 mics are low output mics.

not really true. They're dynamic mics and they put out about as much as any other dynamic mic. I use quite a few different dynamics on the live gigs I do every night and they're all about the same as regards output.
They are differences but they're not all that great.

not really true. They're dynamic mics and they put out about as much as any other dynamic mic. I use quite a few different dynamics on the live gigs I do every night and they're all about the same as regards output.
They are differences but they're not all that great.
Hmm? Well at 1.8mV/Pa the SM57/58 are among the lowest sensitivity dynamic mics about. The average being I would say some 6dB better. The Shure SM7b is even some 2dB lower than that! (but I would still love one!). In fact when I bought a 57 a year or so ago I was quite suprised that it was not really much better than my 50yr old Reslo RB ribbons. This is NOT a crticism of the Shures, they are what they are. The OPs problem is almost certainly not the mic (but don't use the 57/fast track combo for acoustic guitar!) unless he has a "wooden" copy!

Dave.

I was quite suprised that it was not really much better than my 50yr old Reslo RB ribbons.

How d'you find those bad boys? I had a new transformer put in mine.
Stewart from xaudia made it up for my needs and really brought that mic to life.

Back