Not all MXL V67g's are green?

moresound

Loud Sun Studios
I have just received an early model V67g and though it is green the box shows a black V67g on the cover yet is designated green with a green dot on the out side of the box and I guess you could of had a choice of a few other colors at that!

:confused: Well what do you know.

I have just received an early model V67g and though it is green the box shows a black V67g on the cover yet is designated green with a green dot on the out side of the box and I guess you could of had a choice of a few other colors at that!

:confused: Well what do you know.

I auditioned a black one at the now defunct MARS Music years ago when MXL was just getting started. The early ones were black, the snazzy green ones came out later. I think they were just V67, and then the "g" designation was added later to indicate a green body.

In the early days of MXL they would asign different model #'s to identical mics, depending on which retailer carried the mic. For example: I was told by Ben Casey, (who was with MXL at the time, but is now with Studio Projects) that the V63m and the V57m are exactly the same mic, in different colors, shipped to different retailers. So each big warehouse dealer, MF, Mars, etc, each had some model #'s unique to them, even though the mics were identical. (although perhaps in a different color) Another example is: the MXL 2003 and the V93 are the same mic. There are numerous others, but that's all that I remember off the top of my head.

I auditioned a black one at the now defunct MARS Music years ago when MXL was just getting started. The early ones were black, the snazzy green ones came out later. I think they were just V67, and then the "g" designation was added later to indicate a green body.

In the early days of MXL they would asign different model #'s to identical mics, depending on which retailer carried the mic. For example: I was told by Ben Casey, (who was with MXL at the time, but is now with Studio Projects) that the V63m and the V57m are exactly the same mic, in different colors, shipped to different retailers. So each big warehouse dealer, MF, Mars, etc, each had some model #'s unique to them, even though the mics were identical. (although perhaps in a different color) Another example is: the MXL 2003 and the V93 are the same mic. There are numerous others, but that's all that I remember off the top of my head.

This is good to know Tom, thanks.

soooo what about the SM7-B? :D

Cause it's black or because it's a newer version?

The SM7b has some very minor wiring changes and the armature was upgraded. The mic is essentially the same.

and besides, it's American made. Like Henry Ford said about the model T- "You can have it in any color you want- as long as it's black".

Actually, the SM7b more of a dark steel gray, but you get the point.-Richie

The SM7b has some very minor wiring changes and the armature was upgraded. The mic is essentially the same.

and besides, it's American made. Like Henry Ford said about the model T- "You can have it in any color you want- as long as it's black".

Actually, the SM7b more of a dark steel gray, but you get the point.-Richie

Haha love the Ford quote. Thanks!

I have the black version as well. I believe that it was the Mogami version of the V67. Nice mic - can't vouch for the green ones, but this one's a keeper.

Whenever I go to my local MXL V67g store, I always say, "hey, I would like an MXL V67g please", and they respond "What color?". So yeah, of course they come in different colors:cool:!

That purchase of a few more V67g's gives me a total of 4 of them so I was thinking of doing the "Rat Mod" on one of them that Michael Joly does at Oktava mod <===== shown here.

Looks a bit different and looks ease enough to do with the wire wheel on the other side of my grinding wheel.

Do you use these mics a lot? And if so can you post a link to a recording that was done with one so I can see what it sounds like? Also do you ever use Oktava mics?

Do you use these mics a lot? And if so can you post a link to a recording that was done with one so I can see what it sounds like? Also do you ever use Oktava mics?

Yes I have a good selection of Oktava microphones and I like them for capturing certain things for each source is different as is every microphone.

PM me with your cell number and a few other details and I'll send you one of the MXL's to audition for a few weeks. That will give you first hand experience of it's capabilities!

I use the Oktava MK319 sometimes. It seems pretty dark to me (which I like...I hate bright mics). It sounds good on some vocals, and a lot of solo acoustic guitar stuff.

Yeah I use the Mk219 for pretty much everything I do. I'm pretty sure its the same thing as the 319 with a different grille (somewhat inferior). I'm extremely happy with what I get out of it. I'd love to try having it modded one of these days or buying a pre-modded 319.

Back