Musician's Advocate: What a joke!

chessrock

Banned
Shoud be called musician's assclowns.

On a lot of their mics, their pricing reads: "Call for price - too low to advertise" crap.

So I give them a call, and I get "Hello, you've reached Musician's Advocate. We're not in. Leave a message."

Somebody please slap these idiots upside the head a few times and knock some sense in to them. No one wants to do business with a bunch of amateurs.

Musician's Advocate ---ASSCLOWNS?? Hardly

Chessrock-
So you called us once and got the voicemail....
Did you leave a message???
Funny how there are about 10,000 other folks who have done business with us over the past 2 years who feel completely different than you...
Now that one of these SATISFIED customers has alerted me to your silly little rant, you will see PLENTY of folks coming to our defense.......
Oh, and what were you looking to buy????
Uh huh.....I thought so....

Wow, what a strange response from a business. Bradbass, are you really an employee of Musician's Advocate? Are you speaking officially on their behalf? If so, I can't believe your boss would approve of such a response. Something along the lines of "I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but these things happen and we have many satisfied customers" would have been a better approach. You don't need to bend over for a pissed off customer, but at leat be polite and courteous.

You apparently were not happy with the claim that you are amateurs, yet your response did little to demonstrate the professionalism of your company.

Go buy your stuff at GC, you deserve each other

Whatever......... Go to Guitar Center and have some ex-burger flipper make you wait while he talks to his stripper girlfirend on the phone......... We don't want your business.....
You freakin' idiot!!!

Some people live on the planet making it a better place and then there are people like BRADBASS, I too, would not buy from them!
Larrye

Ya' know, I'd never heard of Musician's Advocate 'till now, but if bradbass is really a representative of the company, I'm not interested in knowing them. As a small buisiness owner myself, I know that sometimes people are unreasonable but if I got all hot at every customer that offends me slightly, then pretty soon my buisiness is down by 50%. Lots of times handling a customers' complaint well, even if he was wrong, can make him a happy customer for life. I'm not saying the customer is always right. Sometimes he isn't. But a good buisiness takes every opportunity to satisfy him before telling him to keep his money.

Re: Go buy your stuff at GC, you deserve each other

bradbass said:
Whatever......... Go to Guitar Center and have some ex-burger flipper make you wait while he talks to his stripper girlfirend on the phone......... We don't want your business.....
You freakin' idiot!!!

You, my good man, have absolutely no class! If you ARE representative of the employees at your Company, I too will refrain from shopping at Musicians Advocate, which BTW, I HAVE
NEVER EVEN HEARD B-4!!!!:mad:

I am sorry to hear.......

Why is everyone on this group defending a poster who attacks our Company, calling us "assclowns?" Yeah, it pisses me off....THis guy NEVER left a message, and never made a purchase! We work very hard to please everyone, under ANY circumstances, and have loyal customers who will flat out buy EVERYTHING from us, since we know the gear, AND have the best prices. I got into this biz because I LOVE music, and LOVE Musicians. I take great satisfaction when someone sends us a demo that they recorded on their PC with mics, pres, soundcards, etc, that were purchased from us...... Sorry for the original attitude, but it really pisses me off...

bradbass ...
you have some hyperlink problems on your site ... for example:
the NEUMANN link goes to the NUMARK page :eek:
... Alesis goes to Aardvark
... BBE goes to ART
... Lexicon goes to JoeMeek

These were all on the front page ... you might want to check that out.

good luck

Brad,

Some advice... Calm down. No one is there for every single call. People get pissed about it. Big deal. In actuality, you may not want these people as your customers. But, don't go saying it in public. Just say what your business does for its customers. I don't mind getting called back. And, there are some knowledgeable people who do work at my local Guitar Center even though I know that is not reflective of most Guitar Centers.

Your business is about positioning. What do you do that no one else does? If you know the equipment as opposed to what somebody told you and you have a fair price, then that's what I look for. However, I don't like people who get cranky about a rant on a bbs. It's just a bbs for goodness sakes.

Oz

Chess:

Get some realistic expectations. No place answers the phone 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Even during business hours things happen that are out of control.

You need more of a track record before you start slapping someone down.

Oz

Bradbass, you list yourself as CEO, presumably of Musicians Advocate............you have to be fucking joking, right?

If this is how you react to every bit of criticism that is levelled at you, then you deserve all of this and more.

:cool:

Yeah You should Be setting yourself apart from the competition by selling your goods at a decent price to the people in the land of Oz.

Kansas (not that remote island);)

Hey Brad,

I apologize for the criticism. However, that particular post I wrote only as a favor to you and your business. Yes, a favor. Maybe my language was a bit crude and my criticisms harsh, but I am only trying to put an exclamation point on all of this so as to get your attention. Belive me, I am on your side and I want to see your business thrive. And the only way I see that happening is through some changes, and perhaps a little "tough love" from some of your potential customers.

A little marketing 101 for you: spend a few dollars and improve the looks and functionality of your web site. Secondly, list a price on all your merchandise. Yes, it is important. :) I understand your strategy. Not listing a price allows you to sell the product lower, without violating any agreements with the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, in most cases, I see this strategy backfiring. People like myself and many others become annoyed at the prospect of having to call for a price. A lot of us do our research at odd times, as well -- on our lunch breaks, after dinner, etc. That only represents lost business.

In certain cases, this "call-for-a-price" strategy MIGHT work. But the following conditions MUST apply:

1) The price really does have to be lower than most other advertised prices.

2) You must actually have someone to answer the phone when people call for the price. And it can't be an answering machine, answering service, etc. And I did call several different times on several different days, by the way. I appreciate your call back, which I received several days after the fact. And it was after my second message to you, by the way. :) Your follow-up message had a much nicer tone to it, to your credit.

Unless you meet those two conditions, I just don't see this as a realistic business model that can accomodate the volume of orders that will be necessary in order for your low-price strategy to be feasible.

And rip on guitar center all you want, but their prices are clearly printed on all of their merchandise, there are living, breathing human beings to speak to me when I call them, and I can feel fairly confident that they aren't going to cop attitudes with me when I complain about their service or lack thereof.

At least not to my face. That's Marketing 102. :) Customers will complain. Non-customers like me will also complain, and call you ass-clowns and much worse!. That is an OPPORTUNITY for you to show the world what your are truly made of. This thread, in fact, was a golden opportunity for you to show 100's of potential online customers what musiciansadvocate is really made of. Talk about some good free advertising that was there for the taking.

And unfortunately, you flunked that test, as well. But that's alright, because you'll have plenty more opportunities. You will get jackasses like me complaining about your service. It comes with being in business. And it's okay to laugh at them and share stories about them with fellow employees. It's called venting, and that is what the BREAK ROOM is for! But when you are in front of the customer, and other potential customers, that is when you have to have a thick skin, smile, apologize, and show that you are above it all. I know it's tough, but the marketplace is tougher, and you have to make it a no-brainer for people to do business with you. If you don't, someone else will.

Now let's try this again, Brad. :) How about this:

"Dear Chessrock, I apologize for the problems that you had reaching us. We appreciate the fact that you contacted us, and would like to show you that we are willing to help you in any way that we can. Unfortunately, we are going through some changes here at Musician's Advocate -- Growing pains if you will, and we simply do not have the bandwidth to handle all of the inquiries we are receiving at this time. In fact, we pride ourselves on spending as much of our time and energy as possible servicing each individual customer, which often leaves us tied up at times when the phone rings.

We are working on correcting the problem. In the meantime, if you are having trouble reaching us, try calling us at our alternate number: XXX-XXX-XXXX. Or you can always email me at brad@musiciansadvocate.com and I will be more than willing to answer your email at my earliest convenience.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Brad (the assclown)"

And you could put a smiley-face next to the assclown to show that you're not bothered by the insult, and that you are taking it all in good humor.

Call it Public Relations . . . call it Customer Service . . . Call it common sense. What it is is Marketing, and I've spent the vast majority of my career dealing with companies like your own, consulting them on how to grow their business through building a solid reputation and employing sound marketing practices. Coca-cola spends billions per year on it, but fortunately for guys like you, most of it is 100% FREE. That said, I would be more than happy to give you some free advice if you'd like to Private Message me. Although this post probably constitutes as that, I'd be happy to give you even more in my spare time.

Thanks again for the reply, and good luck with your business.

I work in marketing and BRAD WAKEUP!!!

You don't ever trash people in your position, even if their wrong. Don't wear your emotions on your wrist. Bite the bullet or face the unemployment lines.

Final Thoughts

To CHessrock and others:
Yes, I own Musician's Advocate...
Yes the website blows chucks right now, because I am having someone design an enitirely new site as we speak, and apologize for the Front Page generated spool of sh*t that exists right now.
Yes the phone calls are a problem, and here is why:
I have ONE part-time employee at the moment, yet still manage to get 30 or 40 orders out the door per day, on time, receive, sell, and respond to 300 Emails and calls per day. IT is tough to find the right people, and even more tough to find someone who is not going to slip Neumann KM184 mics into their pocket before clocking out for the day.......
Someone asked what seperates us, and here is the answer:
1.) We only sell Pro Audio, not guitars, or drums or keyboards or horns......PRO AUDIO. Therefore we can concentrate on only THAT...
2.) Since we only do Pro Audio, we can be more aggressive when we negotiate deals with the Manufacturers and Reps......this means more savings for the end user
3.) SInce it is 2 guys with very little overhead, we can pass on the savings to the end user
4.) We only stock and sell products that we believe in, and have at least run through the motions.....

I urge anyone to check out our feedback on Ebay under "musiciansadvocate", it speaks for itself. And I look forward to being an active contributor on this BBS.
And finally, not unlike rec.audio.pro, you will NEVER see a commercial FS post from us on this BBS!!!

Thank you for your various comments, and I think that we should all now get onto the task at hand.....creating music.....
I have a little writers block at the moment, and apologize for the cranky posts.......However, as we all know....all you have to do is plug in that guitar, and IT WILL COME:)

Back