HR Members guitar design and build thread

We haven't done scale length yet. Looks like I'm going to have to call that one..

What was the other bit?

I said make it solid because chambers and f-holes are for the gays. Clearly it was a joke because homosexuality has nothing to do with guitar design, but Milnoque still got mad. Maybe it does? :eek: :confused:

I said make it solid because chambers and f-holes are for the gays. Clearly it was a joke because homosexuality has nothing to do with guitar design, but Milnoque still got mad. Maybe it does? :eek: :confused:

OK, I'm pleased to know I now work in the pink sector of the market...:D

I'm going to pull this thread back on topic tomorrow and post an updated synopsis then. Until then you guys have a ball.:)

First post updated with progress.

23/09/2011 1.00pm GMT..

Last edited:
This design is generic on purpose. I stuck the slotted headstock, the P-90s and the G&L ASAT bridge on because I had already drawn them for other projects. As drawn the scale length is 25.5" with 24 frets. It's just a place to start.

Attachments

• HR Guitar-8.5 X 11 PDF.pdf
    13.8 KB · Views: 11
Right lets tidy this place up a bit.

Where we are right now..

So far we have agreed on a neck thru electric build 25.5" scale because I've had to come done one way or the other as no clear winner was forthcoming. Stage two was to chew over some ideas for style and type and most of the input was around a "surf" style guitar along the lines of those pictures posted. Milnoque has raised the idea of working along the lines of the Les Paul Special. That needs more input about exactly where to take it. All other contributions still welcome.

Remember, Electric, 25.5", scale neck thru, is all that has been decided so far. If we are to run with the "surf" style idea we can move forward now and decide on chambered, hollow body or solid and move on from there.

Keep the comments and ideas coming.

This design is generic on purpose. I stuck the slotted headstock, the P-90s and the G&L ASAT bridge on because I had already drawn them for other projects. As drawn the scale length is 25.5" with 24 frets. It's just a place to start.

Ha, cross post. I'll take a look hang on...

Milnogue you have compooter drawing skills we can certainly use that. In fact we need it..:D

As to the guitar in the drawing any thoughts on how you'd want to develop it? I like the look but it still says Gibson/other to me. Not a criticism just an observation and I know you just said it's just a start point..

Milnogue you have compooter drawing skills we can certainly use that. In fact we need it..:D

As to the guitar in the drawing any thoughts on how you'd want to develop it? I like the look but it still says Gibson/other to me. Not a criticism just an observation and I know you just said it's just a start point..
It's the nature of this committee process that our initial designs have to have a look that says Gibson, or Reverend, or Fender, or whatever. It's the only efficient way to communicate a style to work from. If there seems to be any consensus to move forward with my drawing we can do that. It's looking like my time might be better spent coming up with something surfier(?). I'm actually liking the Reverend somebody posted It might be interesting to take that in the surf direction.

If I were building the design I drew for myself I would make the body larger and give it hollow ears. It would not have fingerboard inlays, just side dots. Lately I've been liking the look of black limba. I'd probably use that for the top and back of the ears with a contrasting wood for the sides. I'd be looking at a non-standard fingerboard wood, maybe bloodwood or ziricote. I'm actually liking the slotted peghead. I might keep it.

Surf style - because I think those body styles typically look unique and fun and not douchey.
Solid body - I prefer the sharper cleaner sound and don't want a bunch of resonance.

OK fair enough. As long as it had nothing to do with being geigh..:D

It's the nature of this committee process that our initial designs have to have a look that says Gibson, or Reverend, or Fender, or whatever. It's the only efficient way to communicate a style to work from. If there seems to be any consensus to move forward with my drawing we can do that. It's looking like my time might be better spent coming up with something surfier(?). I'm actually liking the Reverend somebody posted It might be interesting to take that in the surf direction.

Absolutely agree. I was just thinking on ways to push it further or make it "HR design and build" specific. As I said yesterday the design to my mind the base for all the les pauls and consequently a lot of development has already been done on it. I absolutely want to explore further possibilities for it. Thats what this whole process is about. If you have skills to lay up an outline of the surfcaster or reverend it would help the other desig too. I have only photoshop skills and limited at that. I'm still a pen and paper man.:o

If I were building the design I drew for myself I would make the body larger and give it hollow ears. It would not have fingerboard inlays, just side dots. Lately I've been liking the look of black limba. I'd probably use that for the top and back of the ears with a contrasting wood for the sides. I'd be looking at a non-standard fingerboard wood, maybe bloodwood or ziricote. I'm actually liking the slotted peghead. I might keep it.

So, taking your ideas, Increasing the lower bout width no problem. When you say ears do you mean the "horns" or the wings that make up the body either side of the thru neck? Also when you talk about different timber for the sides and front and back are you thinking a three piece laminate or just a body and cap? All options are possible.. As are choice of timber etc.. Just trying to get in my mind what construction method you are considering at this point...

Like it so far keep it coming.

Here's the same guitar drawn in a sort-of Reverend style.

When I use the term ears in this context I mean everything that's attached to the sides of the neck blank of a neck-through design.

The construction I was envisioning was to bandsaw the shape of the ears from some stock and cut out a portion of the inside of that shape. Then I could glue a cap for the top and back.

Attachments

• HR Guitar-REV.pdf
    13.5 KB · Views: 8
Here's the same guitar drawn in a sort-of Reverend style.

When I use the term ears in this context I mean everything that's attached to the sides of the neck blank of a neck-through design.

The construction I was envisioning was to bandsaw the shape of the ears from some stock and cut out a portion of the inside of that shape. Then I could glue a cap for the top and back.

That looks like an EVH Wolfgang. In other words, yuck.

If someone could make a suggestion of a guitar to choose as a starting point for the surf design it would be helpful.

I've already discussed and posted a pic of an Eastwood guitar shape that I like. Less PRS/Les Paul and more weird. It's just my opinion though. I'm in no way trying to take this thing over. I can barely even play. :D

I've already discussed and posted a pic of an Eastwood guitar shape that I like. Less PRS/Les Paul and more weird. It's just my opinion though. I'm in no way trying to take this thing over. I can barely even play. :D

I'll go back and look. Your vote's as good as mine.

Back