HR Members guitar design and build thread

I like the idea of a through neck, also. Reason: If I were to ever build my own, it would be a through neck.

Shortest scale possible. 24 3/4. Reason: I was going to suggest a 3/4 scale size guitar anyways. When I see videos of classic rock bands jamming, many times the lead solo is a 3/4 size guitar. And seeing as how you're giving me this guitar when it is done, I want a 3/4 size guitar. bwahahaha!! :laughings: :laughings:

I like the idea of a through neck, also. Reason: If I were to ever build my own, it would be a through neck.

Shortest scale possible. 24 3/4. Reason: I was going to suggest a 3/4 scale size guitar anyways. When I see videos of classic rock bands jamming, many times the lead solo is a 3/4 size guitar. And seeing as how you're giving me this guitar when it is done, I want a 3/4 size guitar. bwahahaha!! :laughings: :laughings:

I'll cut off the first 7 frets before I ship it. How does that sound...:confused:

What's the standard neck size for a 24 fret guitar? There's my vote, cuz the extra frets come in handy. Or whichever neck is needed to get the proper tension for heavier strings

I've never given much thought to necks before, but this is a cool learning experience for me.

What's the standard neck size for a 24 fret guitar? There's my vote, cuz the extra frets come in handy. Or whichever neck is needed to get the proper tension for heavier strings

I've never given much thought to necks before, but this is a cool learning experience for me.

There is no "standard" 24 fret scale. You can cram as many frets on there as you can physically fit. As Lt Bob says, the shorter the scale the more cramped they get at the top end so if you spend a lot of time up there then longer scale is the way to go. You then pick the string gauge to give you the playing action and tension you prefer..

Cast my vote for 25.5" also. I would prefer not to go with a bolt-on, but I have no preference between neck through or set neck.

edit: I forgot to give a reason
I play more acoustic guitar than I do electric. I like the extra tension.

There is no "standard" 24 fret scale. You can cram as many frets on there as you can physically fit. As Lt Bob says, the shorter the scale the more cramped they get at the top end so if you spend a lot of time up there then longer scale is the way to go. You then pick the string gauge to give you the playing action and tension you prefer..

Cool. Then 25.5 it is

This is getting quite interesting. It's not headed the way I might have guessed. That ain't a bad thing though............

I dunno if the number of frets is something we're also deciding on this neck issue or not but if it is .... I vote for 24 for the simple basic reason that I do use them if they're there and miss them if they're not.

I dunno if the number of frets is something we're also deciding on this neck issue or not but if it is .... I vote for 24 for the simple basic reason that I do use them if they're there and miss them if they're not.

We'll get to that. Probably when we decide on pickups and neck body join position. As you know the more frets you put on the further back you put the front pickup. One thing at a time though remember. It's always tempting to load up the ideas too quick only to discover down the line that "that ain't going work". Ultimately it's rarely a deal breaker though so it can wait. ;)

Personally I'd like to have seen how you put an acoustic together, there's hardly any skill involved in building an electric. :D

Personally I'd like to have seen how you put an acoustic together, there's hardly any skill involved in building an electric. :D

Not as demanding no, but still needs to be accurate and precise. The only really harder bit on an acoustic is working with bending woods and thicknessing to around 1.8mm selectively. The rest is pretty straight forward. Archtops even more demanding but the members have spoken.

but still needs to be accurate and precise.

Why? mismeasured and misaligned's been working just dandy for Gibson and Mr Smith for years. :D

This is gonna suck cos everyone here is gonna want you to build a clone of what they own.

You're gonna end up with a Squier strat epi LP hybrid made from mdf. :D

Why? mismeasured and misaligned's been working just dandy for Gibson and Mr Smith for years. :D

This is gonna suck cos everyone here is gonna want you to build a clone of what they own.

Your gonna end up with a Squier strat epi LP hybrid made from mdf. :D

lol munchdude thanks for yoor suport...

Seriously though I think you'll be surprised at the level of understanding among members and at least if it's junk it will be well made junk...:)

Back