Would The Great God Fender Really DO This To Us???

stevieb

Just another guy, really.
Just saw this guide in ebay:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Fender-apos...QugidZ10000000004616415QQ_trksidZp3286.c0.m17

Here it is, so you do not have to go there:

Fenders Dirty Little Secret - by Jim Cara,, Cara Guitars - USA's Original Hot Rod Guitar Shop
The Plastic Coating of Guitars since 1963

Fact:
All Fender Guitars made since 1963 are Polyester coated. Lacquer is put on top of the poly to satisfy the general publics belief that Nitro Cellulose (nitro) Lacquer finished guitars "breathe", "dry" and generally have become the bottom line for creating great tome. I'm talking USA, Vintage collectable instruments that the general public has bought, traded, and sold for over 50 years. They came from the Fender factory with a hard plastic jacket underneath it. a suffocating wolf, masquerading under a cloak of Lacquer Fender later switched to 100% Poly and UltraViolet cured resin on Squire, Mexican, Japanese, some USA and all other imports till this day.

Fact:
The two-part catalyzed coating named "Fullerplast" (Fuller for Fuller O'Brien, the products creator, and plast for the obvious PLASTIC"), solved all of Fenders finishing problems; encasing the deep wood pores in a self-hardening plastic that wrapped the body in a rock-hard solid coffin. In some cases we have found it to be as thick as a.060 string. Yes, all of the wood moisture and characteristics are sealed in a virtual time-capsule, only to be vented from the body through screw holes and paint fractures. Share this info and be the hit of your next guitar gathering!

Fact:
Fender rarely mentions Fullerplast, or the way it prepares its bodies before applying Lacquer. If they mention it at all
So, when someone tells you that a Fender "nitro-cellulose" or "nitro" finished guitar will sound better, have more warmth, or will dry out... they really don't have the full story.

<---see the poly under the lacquer on the 60s era guitar

<---- Here's a Tele, getting ready to be coated in Fullerplast

Ask any seasoned guitar craftsman what happens when you will apply paint stripper to a Fender "nitro" finish. The nitro color comes off within minutes, leaving the guitar with a rock-hard plastic coating that can not be removed with any chemical means. Sandpaper barely scratches this coating, but will remove it with mechanical help. Heat Guns will remove the coating, but not by softening it. Apply heat to the Fullerplast coating and it will remain solid until about 300F, at which time it will crack, and pop off of the guitar.

It's a fact, , its scientific, and it's the skeleton in Fenders closet, that they never want to be seen. They have kept it locked away like a bastard child, allowing players, collectors, and experts to spread the "nitro" legend as the holy-grail of tone!

When did Fender start the plastic coating process, and why?

Most experts agree that Fullerplast was started to be used by Fender in 1963
There are many experts that are willing to share the facts with the guitar community, just as I am.

The most time consuming part of finishing a solid guitar body, is the process of filling the wood pores, and allowing the paint to lay flay, with a gloss found on Grand Pianos, or automobiles. Fender needed a fast and easy solution in order speed up production during the guitar craze of the early 1960s. Encasing the wood in a smooth, hard, "glass" jacket would eliminate up to 20 hours in each body prep. Fender even experimented with a hot dip that resembled a candy apple method. The problem was that the dip mixture would need to be at a temperature that would damage the wood, or cause body moisture to create "steam pops" in the coating

When Fender switched to Alder (from Ash) as it's primary body wood in mid 1956, many books and authorities state Fender started using the product called "Fullerplast" This is a very misunderstood product. For example, there is a picture in Tom Wheeler's American Guitars, page 54 (upper left corner), of a man with long rubber gloves dipping bodies into a tank at Fender in the late 1950's. The description incorrectly denotes the man is applying Fullerplast to the bodies. Most likely, this man is staining the Alder bodies yellow, a process used on Alder from 1956 and later before spraying the sunburst finish.. Thanks to VintageGuitarHQ for this info

Fullerplast is a clear, sprayed chemically curing sealer, unaffected by solvents after it dries. It's invention is often given credit to Fuller O'Brien (but often though to be named after the city of Fullerton, the home of Fender) Whether either is the case, it is now manufactured and distributed by Van Dee

Fullerplast soaks into the wood and creates a seal that prevents following coats from soaking into the wood like a sponge. This means spraying the color coats is easier and the coats can be applied thinner (saving material, money and dry time). Even though alder is a "closed pore" wood, the first few coats of lacquer will soak in like a sponge without some type of sealer coat. Fullerplast dries in 15 minutes, and is paintable in one hour. It is also applied very thin.
Most experts agree the actual product Fullerplast actually started to be used around 1963 at Fender. Prior to that, Fender used other products as their sealer coat, but they did the same thing. The sealer allowed any color coat (be it sunburst or a custom color) to not soak into the wood. Since the sealer is essentially a clear inexpensive primer, less color would be needed (and color costs a lot more money than a cheap sealer).

Another misconception about Fullerplast is it's color. The sealers Fender used including Fullerplast were clear, not yellow. The yellow seen in the unpainted portions of a 1956 and later Alder body is actually a stain or dye applied under the sealer coat. This was used to simplify the sunbursting process. The Alder bodies are dipped in a vat of yellow stain/dye. Next the Alder body is sealed with a very thin coat of clear sealer (i.e. "Fullerplast"). After drying, the sunburst procedure is continued by spraying the translucent red (starting in 1958) and dark blackish-brown on the edges of the body, which completes the sunburst look. Finally a clear coat is sprayed over the entire body to seal the colors. By dipping the alder bodies in a yellow stain first, instead of spraying yellow lacquer, there is one less step of lacquer to mix, spray, and dry. *

By fall 1964, Fender changed the yellow making it more whitish and opaque to better hide flaws in the wood. This allowed Fender to use cheaper Alder with more cosmetic flaws. The more whitish yellow was then sprayed over the sealer coat, as were the red and brown of the Sunburst. That is why the red and yellow now looks much different on late 1964 and later Fenders. This new whitish-yellow bleeds through the translucent red making it more orangish. Note that even though Fender was now spraying the yellow after the Fullerplast, they still continued to stain or dye the bodies yellow before the sealer coat.

Current use of Polyester and UV coatings on Fender Guitars.
Probably cause for another article is the case of Ultra Violet cured paints and sealers now used by most production guitar manufacturers. UV allows a very thick and durable coating to be applied directly over bare wood without any need for pore filling. UV cures the paint to its hardest state within minutes, not allowing the finish to soak into the wood.

If you have ever chipped an Ibanez guitar, you know what I mean.
Essentially, beneath every vintage Fender is an Ibanez coating in-waiting for you.

WIN A BET,
BUT GET A PUNCH
The next time someone brags about how good their "lacquer" Fender guitar sounds, because it breathes, try this.

Take a cotton swab dipped nail polish remover, and take a wipe at an inconspicuous area on the guitar. Either
1) The finish will remain un-touched, or
2) You will wipe away the color coat, and see the rock-hard, insoluble Fullerplast. (sunburst guitar photo on left)

If all the finish comes off and you get to bare wood, the Fender guitar has been stripped and refinished.

Either way, you get to say you know something, before you hit the floor.

Interesting. Comments?

Thats bollox. 100% unadulterated bollox.

Fender have and do use a range of finishes on their instruments and polyester is one of them. They also use polyurethane, nitro, and others. It depends entirely on the model, range, place of origin and age.

Thats bollox. 100% unadulterated bollox.

Fender have and do use a range of finishes on their instruments and polyester is one of them. They also use polyurethane, nitro, and others. It depends entirely on the model, range, place of origin and age.
i dont think so....

now i am admittedly not an authority on the subject, but i do believe that the polyester coating is indeed on lots of instruments. i cant say *all*, but i can say "all that i have ever stripped". YMMV.
you mention "polyurethane, nitro, and others".... there is no dispute in that regard, only about what those finishes are sprayed over. the sealer is so impermeable that even aircraft stripper (which eats even the most stubborn polyurethane) doesnt even touch it. to the point, even, that one can often strip one of these instruments and repaint after only a good cleaning and light sanding, as the sealer coat is as smooth as when it got painted to start with.

meh. either way the fullerplast is not as thick as the nasty poly finishes put on many guitars through the 80's and 90's, by fender and otherwise.

do a google search for fullerplast and try to find some articles that offer a bit more objective account of it. that one seems like the guy is really trying to probe something. fullerplast was no secret. i've read about it in almost every article that i've ever seen about vintage fender finishes.

either way if i had my choice i'd still take a vintage strat over any modern nitro finished strat.

Well now I know why, when I sanded down and tried to refinish a cheap guitar back in the 60s, the damn bare wood soaked up so much primer that the paint ended up costing me a fortune. Next time maybe I'll follow fenders lead and shop here first:

http://www.van-dee.com/clear.htm

Do you suppose that's why LPs weigh so much -- those unfullerplasted bodies soakup so much weight in paint.

i dont think so....

now i am admittedly not an authority on the subject, but i do believe that the polyester coating is indeed on lots of instruments. i cant say *all*, but i can say "all that i have ever stripped". YMMV.
you mention "polyurethane, nitro, and others".... there is no dispute in that regard, only about what those finishes are sprayed over. the sealer is so impermeable that even aircraft stripper (which eats even the most stubborn polyurethane) doesnt even touch it. to the point, even, that one can often strip one of these instruments and repaint after only a good cleaning and light sanding, as the sealer coat is as smooth as when it got painted to start with.

Dude, it's complete bollox from someone who knows NOTHING about wood finishing let alone anything about the specifics of different finishes.

On your point specifically about what a finish is sprayed over. Every open grain timber needs to be grain filled. That is what he is talking about and EVERY guitar maker grain fills as required, it is part of the process. It is NOT a lacquer or polish which he is making it out to be. It is NOT even a sealer. It is not even part of the staining process. He makes it out to be all three.

Trust me that guy knows nothing about wood finishing let alone anything about guitars and the way in which they have been finished and are finished.

The rest of his statements and assumptions are complete bollox as well. He has an agenda beyond his expertise.

Dude, it's complete bollox from someone who knows NOTHING about wood finishing let alone anything about the specifics of different finishes.

On your point specifically about what a finish is sprayed over. Every open grain timber needs to be grain filled. That is what he is talking about and EVERY guitar maker grain fills as required, it is part of the process. It is NOT a lacquer or polish which he is making it out to be. It is NOT even a sealer. It is not even part of the staining process. He makes it out to be all three.

Trust me that guy knows nothing about wood finishing let alone anything about guitars and the way in which they have been finished and are finished.

The rest of his statements and assumptions are complete bollox as well. He has an agenda beyond his expertise.

If it's on the internet it must be true!

I'll settle this! I'm going to punch my buddys fender and wipe hime down with fingernail polish remover:D

F.S.

i dont think so....

As Muttley said, the guy is an idiot who has no clue what he is talking about.

NEXT!

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I'll take a Fender any day. Who fucking cares what it is finished with? It still sounds like it's supposed to, so I don't care.

Those Yamaha and other strat knock-offs pale in comparison.

Who cares anyway? Even if Fender really had been like that for so long then maybe it's a good thing. They're good sounding guitars. I like the sound of my strat. It's not the case that I'm just imagining that it sounds good because I was being 'lied to'. And I'm not going to go home and realise I don't actually like the guitar I've loved for 15 years, just because of this new information. That's just silly.

If someone told me they made the fucking thing out of used tampons it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference. I use my ears to judge how a guitar sounds. Not some spec or an itinerary of construction materials.

I find it fascinating that this guy is trying to kill a total legend in the guitar world. The Strat is a legendary guitar and has stood the test of time. However they made them and finished them is totally irrelevent. It is what it is and was what it was whenever it was and is. Case closed.

And BTW Leo Fender generally came up with little of his own ideas. He did not even play the guitar BUT he was a total innovator with manufacturing processes like Henry Ford.

I'll get flamed for this, but I doubt if 95+% of guitarists could tell the difference between nitro and poly in a blind test. I KNOW they couldn't do it through a modelling amp or a bunch of pedals.

I've always wanted someone to try this experiment. Record a cheap guitar to the best of your ability. Dip the body in house paint. Record it again using the same settings. I bet you'd be surprised at the results.

I'm not saying that the finish doesn't matter. It does. I'm saying it doesn't matter as much as you think it does.

I'm talking about solidbody electrics

End Rant

Original post was put up to illicit comment and discussion. Hey, play what you want/like, I don't give a dead rat's ass. My personal opinion is ALL solidbodies are basically just hunks of wood- as long as the wood is, indeed, solid (as opposed to, say, eaten by worms), the type of finish, wood, or construction makes little difference as to the tone, esp. when compared to either 1) the differences the pickups, amp, pedals, etc. makes, or 2) the differences a hollow-body electric guitar's body makes.

Another suspicion I have is that Fender is as focused on the bottom line nowadays as it was during the CBS era.

And a third is that 95%- hell, 99%- of guitarist are reacting to their own pre-conceived perceptions when they say they can hear differences in a guitar's, or amp's, or some pedal's, tone. And don't EVEN get me started on Monster Cables...:rolleyes:

Let's see, what is it?

Is it talent? No.

Is it hours of practice? No.

Is it informed, clever design? No.

Is it matching parts and ensuring ergonomic form and selecting electronics? No.

Is it careful assembly of all the components? No.

Is it finding that perfect amplifier that makes your instrument sing? No.

So what is the real secret?

PAINT!

I feel weak....

Oh, and when did Leo Fender become "the great god?" He was a quirky, reclusive inventor who had to hire other people to deal with his employees.

As Muttley said, the guy is an idiot who has no clue what he is talking about.
(insert toobalicious quote)
NEXT!

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

dear sir, i hope you werent directing that at me.

fullerplast (or similar products) and grain filler are NOT the same thing. i will bet you $100. maybe they *do* the same things, but they ARENT THE SAME. the grain fillers i am most familiar with are different in composition and application, and ABSOLUTELY DO NOT build a thickness the way this stuff does (at least, not if you have a clue).

now, i never put too much stake in what some random shmoe writes on the interwebs. however, having personally run across this plastic coating with EVERY fender i have ever stripped (and it has been a few), as well as a peavey and an ibanez soundgear (the ibanez i actually SOAKED in tal-strip for about 36 hours, AFTER all of the paint was removed, and the coating was still glossy!). that $hit is impermeable to chemicals, and that is all there is to it.

so i might be an idiot, but i definitely have a clue what i am talking about with regard to this subject.

of course, you mightve meant the the article writer was an idiot, and frankly, i did little more than skim it. so, maybe he is/was an idiot. besides WHO really bases any sort of decision making on an EBAY article, for fecks sake? i mean, really.

also, i feel the need to point out that sanding this coating off of the peavey (a foundation bass circa 1990-ish) did actually change the character of the instrument in a very noticeable way, though it must be taken into consideration that there was no way to really A/B the before/after except from memory. incidentally, the veneered poplar looked like $hit afterwards (the core is perhaps 5-7 pieces with veneered "caps" front and back). but that is another story.

upon reflection, i see that you were indeed referring to the article writer, so disregard the "in defense of myself" stuff in the post above. the other stuff is pertinent though.

I find it fascinating that this guy is trying to kill a total legend in the guitar world. The Strat is a legendary guitar and has stood the test of time. However they made them and finished them is totally irrelevent. It is what it is and was what it was whenever it was and is. Case closed.

again, i will not reference what may or may not be in the writer's agenda.

but fullerplast IS a coating, and sometimes a thick one. anything that coats something else in this way is bound to change its resonant characteristics. think about a little moon gel on a 16" floor tom, or a piece of dynamat on a trunk lid. i know apples to oranges, but it sort of illustrates my point, albeit in an exaggerated manner.

does it completely change the character of the guitar? maybe, maybe not.

am i saying that fender (or any instrument that uses a similar process) sucks because of it?
absolutely not. i even love the stuff from the 70's with finishes so thick that you couldnt scratch to the wood with the edge of a quarter.

does the characteristics of the wood really matter that much to the amplified tone?
depends on who you ask. IMHO, it absolutely does.

FWIW.

Back