cracked crash

tilinmyowngrave

Well, I got most of my cymbals used. I didn't have a problem with them at all when i first got em. They were some of the best cymbals I have heard (Paiste signatures)... but after my friend borrowed my 17" power crash for a gig, the crack (that wuz already there, but didn't affect the sound) has started to rattle. Knowing him, he probably threw em around and fucked aroudn with them (last time Im letting him borrow shit)... SOOOO heres the question... is there any way i can fix my crash so the crack doesnt rattle? the rattle isnt too evident, but when i hear it, it drives me nuts. PLEASE HELP!!

i've heard that you can drill a hole with a drill at the end of the crack to stop the crack from spreading. i dont think that will cure your rattle, but it'll stop it from getting worse...

It's time for a new cymbal. Once they crack, they're garbage. Drilling a hole doesn't solve the problem. it'll continue to crack, then the crack will split and pretty soon you'll have pieces missing out of the cymbal. Needless to say, it'll also start to sound like shit.

Drilling a hole will delay the cracking for a while until you can afford a replacement, and YES, you will eventually need to replace it. I suggest going ahead with drilling the hole. If the crack is heading toward the center, you can use heavy duty tin snips to cut a triange to the hole and remove the cracked area. This is a temporary fix. The crack will start again at some point, but who knows when. It will depend on how you play it. The larger the hole and the smoother the edge will also determine how long it will last.

so shud i just take a drill and drill a hole at the end of the crack? wudnt the heat caused by the drill damage the cymbal? how shud i drill it? and I dont wanna replace it, cuz it sounds perfectly fine, other than the few times when it does have a slight rattle.

Try to drill just a little past the crack in the direction it's heading. But like everyone else said, this is only a temporary fix. There's no way to save that cymbal in the long run. I've lost 2 that way myself.

Size of Crack

How big is the crack? It sounds like your is around 1/2" at this point from what you've said. Anyways, I've had lots of luck fixing my crashes. I've been playing a 18" paiste sig. full crash that I fixed for the last two years!

The following procedure works great for cracks that are under 1/8" long. The smaller the crack, the better your chances of it sticking around.

Get some sand paper. I usually buy a multi-pack with coarse, medium, and fine grit papers. Start sanding down the crack with the sand paper. Sand out the entire crack (this can take around an hour or longer depending on the length of the crack). I usually use the coarse paper for the majority of the sanding and then I use the finer papers to smooth out the metal and finish it off. When sanding the crack make sure that you create a smooth, gradual curve instead of a sudden, sanded chunk. After that, you are done. Voila! your cymbal should live on. Just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't smash the cymbal right in the spot where you sanded out the crack. I have tried this on about 10 crashes and 2 rides. All were either Paiste 2002's or Signatures. Only one crash continued to crack after I sanded it down. It also was the only one with a crack over a 1/4" long. I'm sure it would work on other brands and series, but it's probably safe to say that this technique would work better on larger cymbals (crashes,rides, not splashes and hats), however, it probably still works well as long as you are starting with a small crack.

In short, you can save your cracked cymbals. However, it is a lot of hard work and it is necessary that you stop playing the cymbal the moment that you see the crack starting beacuse the smaller the crack, the better when tryign to perserve the cymbal's sound and longevity.

Attachments

• Cymbal B-3.jpg
    Cymbal B-3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 125
Cracked Crash

Try smashing the crash on your friends head and see if it rattles (just kidding!!!!) As already stated, drilling a hole will only help stop the crack from running to the bell. I have never been able to save a crash from a crack. Sorry to hear about this..

Remember..... Crack Kills

nah, i wudnt smash the cymbal on his head. i wud fukin use it as a frisbee and hope the edges r sharp enough to cut his throat. see, since the crack incident, he has doen a whole lot of shit to piss me off (like cheating on his girlfriend, who iev been good friends with for years). so i wud kill him with this cymbal. and its a pwoer crash, so its nice and heavy. But i noticed the crack wuznt as evident when i got back form school today... ionno, it seems the two pieces that are cracked have actually gotten back in place, so it doesnt really rattle... which really pisses me off, considering i spent so much fukin time worrying. yea, maybe I may have to replace it, but the crack hasnt grown since it first appeared (2 months ago)... so i would say it will last me for maybe a few more months. I take good care of my cymbals.

I'm telling you, try sanding it down if it isn't too big. It takes an hour or two, but it is sooooo worth it when you don't have to buy a new cymbal. Your crack will only get bigger and you will most likely hear the rattling again. Why would you just let your cymbal continue to crack?

msmales555 said:
I'm telling you, try sanding it down if it isn't too big. It takes an hour or two, but it is sooooo worth it when you don't have to buy a new cymbal. Your crack will only get bigger and you will most likely hear the rattling again. Why would you just let your cymbal continue to crack?

You could probably save time with this technique if you used a dremmel and a hefty sized grinding stone. You'd have to hold it pretty steady so it woudn't slip, then finish it off with fine sand paper to make it smooth.

Hmmmmm....

i think you have to buy a new one, but you dont have to throw away the cracked cymbal! i have a cracked 16 inch crash and i use it as a crash ride, it has a really thrashy fucked up sound but i think its ok for thrash metal and that sort of music. be creative!!! ;)

tilinmyowngrave said:
so shud i just take a drill and drill a hole at the end of the crack? wudnt the heat caused by the drill damage the cymbal? how shud i drill it? and I dont wanna replace it, cuz it sounds perfectly fine, other than the few times when it does have a slight rattle.

The cymbal is cracked, ie already damaged. Drill slowly by not putting too much pressure on it so it doesn't heat up as much if you're worried about it. It sucks, but eventually you will have to replace it, and the crack will eventually get worse.

Hey you might be able to wreck it in a good way by making some wierd effect cymbal sound out of it.

Actually the sanding idea seems pretty good despite the amount of work involved. Good cymbals are not cheap.

no, good cymbal are not cheap. especially Paiste signatures. Of course, if i tried to fix it, it would be as good as dead. fortunately, the only bassist i know loves drums and is also very handy, so he should eb able to fix it without incident.

What is it with Paistes anyway? I've always used a matching set of 16" and 18" signature crashes; they really have the best sound I could find (esp. for recording), but I had to replace them every couple years due to the cracking. They are definately not cheap.

Either way, when I was in Junior High our drum department had a few cymbals which were cut (presumably due to previous cracks) straight across the cymbal and smoothed out. Excuse the ASCII art (you'll have to imagine the spaces, becuase this forum doesn't want to leave them in)... but, they looked something like this:

______
/ \
/ \
| . |
| |
\ _ _ _ _ _ / << - Cut
\_______/

They were mostly larger cymbals, and they still sounded fine. In the few years I was there I never saw one of them crack. This is the only place I saw this, and nobody I've ever spoken to knows what I'm talking about. Has anyone here ever seen this before?

I was going to hand one of my old ones over to a contractor friend who was going to try and cut it across and "weld" the edge to make is smooth.

elil said:
What is it with Paistes anyway? I've always used a matching set of 16" and 18" signature crashes; they really have the best sound I could find (esp. for recording), but I had to replace them every couple years due to the cracking. They are definately not cheap.

Paistes are stamped from sheet bronze so the grain of the metal flows in one direction, whereas Zildjian and Sabian are all cast into ingots which are rolled out, giving the cymbal a grain which goes in all directions. That's why they are stronger than Paiste.

elil said:
I was going to hand one of my old ones over to a contractor friend who was going to try and cut it across and "weld" the edge to make is smooth.

For the love of God, do not do this!! I had a cymbal that was cracked around the bell and a friend of mine decided to weld or braze it with a bronze rod. After three hits it shattered like glass. The welding changes the tempering of the metal, which is the worst thing you can do.

Once a cymbal is cracked it's done. Dead. It will never function the same again. It can't be "repaired". You might be able to live with the sound, but it is no longer the thing that it was.

elil said:

It's how you guys are striking them. I've played Paiste exclusively for almost 20 years and have never broken one. (incedently I'm 6'2" and weigh 250 Lbs and play with Marching sticks. I use Signature & Signature Sound Formula Full series (lighter than the "Power" style) and 2002's. You have to strike a glancing blow across thge bow of the cymbal, and make sure the cymbal can swing freely on the cymbal post.

Also, your crash cymbals should be aproximately about the same height as your ears while seated on the throne. too much higher than "seated" head level, and you start hitting harder because you don't hear them as well.

Also, you can take that cymbal to a machinist and have them cut it, and if the crak is only about 1/2" long, they can actually cut the cymbal in all the way around and just make it a little smaller, but if they have to remove more than 1" universally - the cymbal will sound a little funny because it would now be, in this case, a 16" cymbal....but because the mass of the original cymbal has changed, it will just sound a little different.

I've even seen guys who were machinists regroove cymbals. One guy used to buy cymabls with little break in them, cut them down, and removed the original grooves, and regroove them with a set of hand tools.

There was even a website about this.

Tim

Back