Votes: 46 6.7%
  • Mapex

Votes: 49 7.2%
  • Taye

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • other

Votes: 107 15.6%

• Total voters
I always liked Tama. Ive owned Rockstar and Swingstar kits. Played a really nice Artstar in the studio one time. Evans heads and Custom A cymbals all the way too ! :)

I`ve got a pearl set and a cheapo "stagg" set in my studio, just linked them now so that i get a dobbel set of bass drums, one 22 and one 20 , really give a cool sound

i'm not a drummer, but my cousin who lives w/ me is, and sometimes when i'm bored i'll mess around on his drum set which is a Ludwig. i don't know the specifics as far as what model they are or anything. it's fairly simple, 2 crashes and a ride (all zildjian), and 14" Zildjian Quick Beat hi-hats which sound awesome to me. he tells me it's not about how many drums you have, but how you bang on em, haha. i'll put up a picture of the set someday.

here's my cousin's setup (and one of my axes) simple yet effective:

Attachments

• Drumset1.jpg
    Drumset1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 198
i have a pearl kit and a ludwig kit. both are from 1965. pearl drums from that era were very low quality. they sound good, though, and i prefer taking them to gigs rather than my ludwigs.

drummerdude666 said:
You need to hear more kits.

DW is over rated..by a long long way.

I'm gonna have to agree with that. People hear what they want to hear based on hype. I've tested ALOT of dw kits and really didn't hear anything special. They are fine quality, but the innovations are mostly on hardware and shell matching. Up until a few years ago, they used to use Keller shells, which are used my alot of other companies. After they started making their own shells, there really wasn't a big increase in sound.

PhilGood said:
I'm gonna have to agree with that. People hear what they want to hear based on hype. I've tested ALOT of dw kits and really didn't hear anything special. They are fine quality, but the innovations are mostly on hardware and shell matching. Up until a few years ago, they used to use Keller shells, which are used my alot of other companies. After they started making their own shells, there really wasn't a big increase in sound.

Well, I haven't really been exposed to many other kits. Other than DW, i heard a Starclassic, which was also really nice, a few Ludwig Accents, which are OK, Tama Rockstar and Superstars, which are also pretty OK, Pearl Forum and Exports, nothing special, and Pacific drums, which I dont care for. I really wanna hear what a Bubinga drum set sounds like... in terms of snare drums though I have to say I like bronze snares.

I'm currently making my own kit, has anyone else had any experience with this? Its extremely fun, and you can get a very high quality kit for much less than you'd spend on the "custom" guys. The snare is made of acrylic and the toms and bass drum are maple keller shells. I've also got a early-80s ludwig rocker kit.

The new Mapex Orions are really nice, and for the money kick DWs ass.

DW just seem to fall apart at every test i gave them. I've never understood the hype. The do look lovely and they do sound good. I'm not disputing that.

But they aren't as good as kits that cost less, which is stupid. Thankfully DW aren't so big over here in the UK. But you still hear all the hype.

tilinmyowngrave - you say that exports are nothing special... Well considering that they are less than a quarter of the cost of a DW.

Clearly you'd chose a DW over an Export but they're not in the same league. You just can't compare them.

My new (actually, 30 year old drum set which I just bought) Tama Superstar sounds really nice... Im gonna save up money though for a SOnor Force 3005. Superstar for recording, Force 3005 for gigs. For two reasons: Superstar is 30 years old, I dont wanna risk scratyching it up at a gig. Second, I've heard birch sounds good recorded. And the FOrce 3005 will be the one I will lug around. And I have to say, my birch Superstar sounds really good... even better than some birch Dws I've heard... and I payed $800 for it. All I know is that the kick sound is exactly what I'm looking for... I dont need any triggers or anything to alter the sound, its perfect the way it is. The toms need some work though. I need to tune them better... and get them better heads. They currently have old 2 ply Attack heads... I will replace em with Evans G1's.

Back