• Mapex

Votes: 49 7.2%
  • Taye

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • other

Votes: 107 15.6%

• Total voters
pardon moi

SMX Dizzy, I was trying to be witty and clever but it came out sounding wrong. I don't think the way the poll was written was your fault and I really was curious why you started the poll. :o

To answer your question, I have a 6 piece set of Tama Rockstars (excellent bang for the buck - pun intended), Mapex V (5 piece bop kit), and occasionally I get to play my vintage Ludwig kit (which my bass player borrowed and now thinks he owns). :p

For snares I mostly use a wicked-sounding Mapex Black Panther, a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, an old Ludwig Marching snare (14"x20"), or the 12" Mapex snare that came with the bop kit.

thatbobguy8 said:
I play Tama drums due to the fact that they are mine and they sound better than yours which are not mine. No really there are so many good drums out there it really depends on what the drummer is comfortable with sound wise. I really like my starclassics. They are warm, loud and defined. Plus good heads make all the difference in the world. I really enjoy the coated evans heads. Right now I am in the middle of a science experiment with evans g2 clear heads. They are pretty darn good! they are LOUD but man the tone is great. Plus Mike portnoy plays starclassics nuff said.

Yea, I got a set of Sabians and I wanted a Tama set because Portnoy played them. Then i hit a Paiste, sold all my Sabians, switched to Paiste, and after much research, decided to get a Sonor drum set. Thats when I realized that the only reason I liked Portnoy was because of the hype. Sure, hes an awesoem drummer, but I don't really care for his style. Danny Carey... now THERE is a drummer whos not as talented as Portnoy, but IMO, has a WAY better sound and style.

Pearl

PhilGood said:
Ya know, I really admire the quality of Pearl's hardware and shells (and sound) except that damn tom mounting system of theirs! (comic book guy) "That is the worst idea EVER!" I don't want a pipe sticking in my drum!! I know the newer series use a rims style system where it doesn't protrude into the shell, but that's where my problem with the ease of positioning come in.

That damn PIPE SYSTEM! AAaaaaarrrrgh!!! It even looks like plumbing!! I wanna buy a Pearl set and install a toilet handle by the tom mounts. See if any one notices or if they feel right at home.

Ooh, ooh!! Maybe mics that look like shower heads? :D :D

I quite agree!
Especially when they come in different sizes and their on clamps!!!!! :mad:
I wish I still had the other bass :p

You really need to mention FIBES DRUMS

I realize many players can not afford them, but how about a mention of Fibes Drums? I have been playing them for years. I am on my third set of Fibes since 1979. Buddy Rich loved his Fibes SFT snare drum which he played while endorsing Slingerland. Buddy's been gone since '87, but I have yet to hear a cat play drums as good as he did. He would destroy most rock drummers out there today. The guy was that good. Not to get off topic, but the Fibes Drum Company makes some killer drums. Check them out at: www.fibes.com

Ludwig Ludwig Ludwig. :-)

pinks.jpg

I personally dont really like Pearls although my first kit was Pearl, and my two favorite drummers both recently switched to Pearl. For me, its Taye all the way. I have the Studio Maple and I think it is THE BEST kit you can get for the money.

I use a drum set made by myself with keller shells.

and I have a tama rockstar some years ago also, and now my friends TAMA swing star also sitting next to my keller drums.
those tama "budget series" are not the best, but very playable for this price!

one of my friend got a PEARL MMX set some month ago, I tried to tune them.....and found that they are very hard to tune, same pinstripe on each drum, same tension on them, the sound is totally different.....no matter how tight or loose is it. I just cant get a right sound out of them.

Got an ancient set of Slingerland drums, Ludwig snare and Zildjan cymbals. The toms have a bit of ring to them but otherwise they aren't too bad, oh yeah Slingerlands are loud.
Oh well, what do I know anyway, I spend a lot more time on guitar than drums.

Back