• Mapex

Votes: 49 7.2%
  • Taye

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • other

Votes: 107 15.6%

• Total voters
PhilGood said:
Ya know, I really admire the quality of Pearl's hardware and shells (and sound) except that damn tom mounting system of theirs! (comic book guy) "That is the worst idea EVER!" I don't want a pipe sticking in my drum!! I know the newer series use a rims style system where it doesn't protrude into the shell, but that's where my problem with the ease of positioning come in.

That damn PIPE SYSTEM! AAaaaaarrrrgh!!! It even looks like plumbing!! I wanna buy a Pearl set and install a toilet handle by the tom mounts. See if any one notices or if they feel right at home.

Ooh, ooh!! Maybe mics that look like shower heads? :D :D

There have been worse - like the Slingerland "Swiv-o-matic". Talk about a tom mounting system that sucked royally! Also, the Old Premeir "Pipe" system from the late 709's, early 80's was a lot worse than Pearl's.

Tim

A little of topic but...

MadAudio said:
I'll have to take some new pictures and post again later. FWIW, the kit was originally a 7-piece (4 melodic toms, ie, top heads only) but over the years I've gone back to the standard 5-piece configuration.

It's off topic, but...MadAudio or anyone else:
He mentioned he used to play "melodic" toms which have no bottom heads. I've also heard these called "Concert Toms". Is this another term? Because I've also heard of having two or more of your mounted toms mounted opposite from a right-handed kit (13, 12, 10 instead of the usual 10, 12, 13) was called concert toms. Or maybe it was when they were mounted backwards and had no bottom heads they were concert toms, haaa.

Didn't friggen' every drummer pretty much use melodic toms for a short while when they were in-style? Ha, I remember seeing pictures of Neil Peart (he always had a melodic and regular toms), Phil Collins, and the like using those in the 70's.

Either way, the ones I used to play (Camco) sounded like garbage. Very dead, barely any sustain, and the tones that came from them were too cheasy and noticeable (hence the name "melodic" i guess). But I guess the dead/muffled factor was pop in the 70's.
P.s..... Talk about plumber's piping! Check out Neil's stands in this pic.
http://www.andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/neil_images/neil_d19.jpg

what a bout ayottes and donoho

i play a 5 peice donoho custom all maple kit and its awesome! really about to get an all birch yamaha kick except for the kick which will be maple

thatbobguy8 said:
I play Tama drums due to the fact that they are mine and they sound better than yours which are not mine. No really there are so many good drums out there it really depends on what the drummer is comfortable with sound wise. I really like my starclassics. They are warm, loud and defined. Plus good heads make all the difference in the world. I really enjoy the coated evans heads. Right now I am in the middle of a science experiment with evans g2 clear heads. They are pretty darn good! they are LOUD but man the tone is great. Plus Mike portnoy plays starclassics nuff said.

I have to say I love my Starclassics as well, I've had my 7 piece performer kit for about 8 years now and wouldn't trade them for anything.

I just picked up a set of fiberglass drums, and probably won't go back to wood unless it is a second kit. The tuning range is far superior than wood, and the shells are thinner with more accurate bearing edges. Check out tempus, they make some great stuff.

Warhead said:
There should be a choice for my Arbiter 9mm maples!

War :confused:

haha...ok maybe a little rare...

Arbiter's are sweet. I love the tuning system on them. One screw and the head is perfectly tensioned all the way around.
It's too bad they don't make custom sized drums - I'd be on those in a heartbeat!

Tim

German Sonors all the way baby. The Taiwan kits are decent as taiwan kits go, kind of like Pacific, but if you want real high end sound and fit and finish, the German Sonors are hard to beat.

I hear ya! But, SONORs are easy to beat...we beat both sets here in the studio all the time. ;) They're simply excellent kits.

coloradojay said:
German Sonors all the way baby. The Taiwan kits are decent as taiwan kits go, kind of like Pacific, but if you want real high end sound and fit and finish, the German Sonors are hard to beat.

IMO, The Asian made Sonors kick pacific's ass. The German made Sonors are excellent though.

I use a 1965 Slingerland kit, in red sparkle finish: 9x13, 16x16, 14x22 and 8-lug chrome-over-brass "Krupa" snare drum. However, I usually switch out the bass drum for a 1966 Slingerland 14x26 marching drum (modified with spurs and tom mount) and a Pearl Steve Ferrone snare drum (6 1/2 x 14).

My other kits are a 60s Ludwig Standard kit (8x12, 14x14, 14x20 and 5x14 snare in Ruby Strata) and a custom-made Cocktail kit, not unlike the Yamaha Steve Jordan model.

jalapeno hand made drums :) THE nicest sounding drums in the world.

nat-drums.jpg

www.jalapenodrums.co.uk

MaFt

DuoToneBand said:
DW Collectors baby!!!

with you there man! DW collectors all maple shells, although i do prefer my 12x8" pearl maple snare drum. this thing has more pop than the back of a pepsi delivery truck... ;)

the only people that dont like dw's, are the ones that have never played them...

foreverain4 said:
with you there man! DW collectors all maple shells, although i do prefer my 12x8" pearl maple snare drum. this thing has more pop than the back of a pepsi delivery truck... ;)

the only people that dont like dw's, are the ones that have never played them...

Thats not tru... DW's are very nice drum sets, I don't think anyone disagrees with that statement... I think that people just think they aren't worth it for the price. There are drum sets that are of equal or even better quality, yet they are cheaper.

foreverain4 said:

I've played 'em! I like 'em! I just think they're over-rated and over-priced. They certainly aren't leaps and bounds better than any other premium drum line.

tilinmyowngrave said:
Thats not tru... DW's are very nice drum sets, I don't think anyone disagrees with that statement... I think that people just think they aren't worth it for the price. There are drum sets that are of equal or even better quality, yet they are cheaper.

yeah, i know, just trying to get a rise... i would play a vintage gretch or ludwig any day.......

Back