Should I Get A SM7b Or A RE20?

Interesting. Where were your re27s made?

I didn't know there was an option.

i saw someone post a while back on a forum that theyd never make the re20 or re27 outside of the US. i think hes just stupid and thinks this is like a shure sm58. all of them say made in usa. unlike the owl guy with his asian re320

Don't knock it simply because you were unable to use it effectively. Asia is capable of making some damn good microphones, much like they do with everything else, and the re320 is definitely one of them.

What do you use the RE320 on? If it's vocals id like to hear it so i can make fun of how it sounds

Keep in mind you haven't really taken on board advice about monitoring and acoustic spaces.
In all fairness, you don't really know for sure how any of these mics sound.

Yeah I bet you would...

It would be an irrelevant comparison anyways, seeing as how I don't use mine to whine about video games on Youtube all day. :)

what? commentaries are good to test the mics? i don't use it just for that, lol. theres only one commentary on that youtube.

Keep in mind you haven't really taken on board advice about monitoring and acoustic spaces.
In all fairness, you don't really know for sure how any of these mics sound.

Well yes thats true but if it bugs me on my speakers then thats enough to bug me on any speakers. the re320 is fairly good at capturing detail but it has proximity effect and no bass rolloff so youre stuck with bass if youre close to it. It's why i loved the nd767a over the RE320. But the ND767a can be nasal off axis and isnt as consistent. I'd rather use it over the re320 though. Sounds clearer and brighter with less bass.

I gotta buy one of these and try it out for myself.

EV call it the perfect dynamic microphone for both voice and instruments.

Not saying you're wrong; Just saying I'd love to try one, and sure if I don't like it, Henry will buy it from me. ;)

I gotta buy one of these and try it out for myself.

EV call it the perfect dynamic microphone for both voice and instruments.

Not saying you're wrong; Just saying I'd love to try one, and sure if I don't like it, Henry will buy it from me. ;)

this is a old recording of it the nd767a sm57 and a re320. youll notice the nd767a doesnt have the lingering bass effect of the sm57 and re320. sometimes that bass can be an extreme annoyance especially under long duration of talking. If it werent for plosives and a slightly less bit of clarity when compared to the re27 id still have the nd767a but im starting to wish i kept it and just got it a pop filter. im just confused about the mics i got. why is it so hard to get crisp condenser clarity and no pops or nasal!?

The lingering bass on this guy using the re320 kills me. Really does. Id rather use the RE20/re27 I got than the re320 again. skip near the end of the video i mean really jesus christ why would you use this mic?

god listen to it when he says amazon primooooom deal etc. fuck that bass

Well yes thats true but if it bugs me on my speakers then thats enough to bug me on any speakers. the re320 is fairly good at capturing detail but it has proximity effect and no bass rolloff so youre stuck with bass if youre close to it. It's why i loved the nd767a over the RE320. But the ND767a can be nasal off axis and isnt as consistent. I'd rather use it over the re320 though. Sounds clearer and brighter with less bass.

No you aren't "stuck with it"...just put a high-pass filter on it later. It has the same effect as any bass rolloff switch you will find on other mics.

You've got other problems for sure man.

The 767 just has less bass a little more high end than the other two, but all three are perfectly passable.

Admittedly, I'd probably put a high pass on the 57 if I was using it for speech, but that's hardly a big deal.

Paul - The RE320 is a pretty useful mic and great for the price. I've been using it a bit for bass guitar cabs, blended with another mic, and it definitely has a use. I haven't yet had the chance to use it on kick - the sessions haven't fallen that way recently.

I am also a big fan of proximity effect. It is like having a free extra tone control!

I just think its sad the nd767a sounds exactly like the re320 but cleaned up thats all im saying not to mention its super cardioid. id rather buy a pop filter for the nd767a and call it a day. id use its raw sound for final renders in most situations from voice over ip chat in video games to video game commentaries to broadcasting etc. shure if you got a bunch of hardware to eq it that would help the re320 a lot for live use but its quite embarrassing for the re320 i must say.

also make the EHHH sound into a re320. enjoy your metal hollow bass sound.

Last edited:
shure if you got a bunch of hardware to eq it that would help the re320 a lot for live use but its quite embarrassing for the re320 i must say.

also make the EHHH sound into a re320. enjoy your metal hollow bass sound.

A high-pass filter doesn't take a "bunch of hardware" to work. It's quite simple.

For live use, any good mixer is probably going to have a HPF button on it anyway, so it's still good.

:laughings:

One click of a button on my preamp will do it.

Or a couple clicks in my DAW.

All in all, the whole process shouldn't take more than 20 sec.

thats far from the only thing wrong with the re320. it has a few major issues that couldnt be cleaned up if you wanted to. justl ike why a lot of people think the re27 sounds crap compared to the re20. small adjustments arent going to fix all its fail. theres a few other things the nd767a doesnt suffer from. i swear to god get the owl guy to clean up the re320 the best he can and post a 2 or 3 minute clip of him talking. its got a lot of issues, lol.

Back