Should I Get A SM7b Or A RE20?

I don't find the boost to be too bad. I like boosted mics. It gives it a really interesting sound.

Check out the frequency response to an MXL 4000

1045.png

It could be quite annoying on some sources but I absolutely love it on acoustic guitar. It gives it a nice bright sound.

Sorry dude :(

P.S. I think I know where you go to college!

Hey! This guy's a pervert! Get away from me!

Just kidding. :D

If it is a small college, you would be correct!

I don't really mind about the grade. It's in Astronomy. I'm majoring in Mass Comm and English. I'll still manage to get a B in Astronomy anyway because I am awesome.

Oh really?

It would be pretty cool to know another heavily contributing member of HR.

This college is pretty good. Very quaint. Sometimes I wish I went to a large university like VT, but most of the time I like the small "village" like school. The classes are okay as well. Nothing really challenges me. Everything has been incredibly easy (although that may be because I'm not taking a Math or Foreign Language class). The only challenge is the work load. I just finished 5 papers in 6 days! :eek: The time invested in my papers probably gave the result of my predicted grade in my Astronomy test. Ehh. Overall, it's okay. Most people here are dumb. But there are some incredibly intelligent people here. Those people are my friends. I don't like associating myself with those who can't have an intelligent conversation and resorts to the vulgarity resembling that of The Cave. :D

Dang, I read through the whole thread... Very entertaining stuff! :D
Can't believe I missed out on this, it was the perfect reverse-trolling opportunity.

But I almost feel bad for the poor soul, he couldn't even find a mic good enough for him! :(

All this fuss this moron gave, he could have made his own mic by now.. Of course thats making the assumption that he has a much higher level of intelligence than he showed throughout the thread, and that he actually does more than just play video games (in his parents basement) and scam people all day.

4 pages...there are probably about 15 useful posts in this thread.

Anyway I just got an RE20. The first thing I did was throw it in front of my guitar amp and start experimenting (Rickenbacker 650 ----> Orange Rockerverb 50. Clean channel turned up loud). To date I've never found a guitar amp mic that I absolutely loved. I've been bouncing back and forth from a 57 to a Neumann KM184. I've also tried an AT4040, an SM58, Naiant SDCs, AKG Precision 70s, and an EV vocal mic (140 or something I dunno). -All good mics that I've enjoyed in other applications (except for the precision 70s which I am not a fan of).

I am in love with the RE20. I love the way it punches through the mix. It just sounds more 'real' to me. I feel like my next recordings are going to have more guitar clarity. I ended up with the RE20 about 2 inches off the grill pointed almost perfectly on axis (slight angle) pretty close to the center of the speaker cone. The sound is just nice and rounded IMO. Balanced. Almost provided for a little more of that 80s flavor - which I like.

Back