Should I Get A SM7b Or A RE20?

'RE20 boring' LOL

Almost every mic I've tried can pretty much sound like ass right up on it if you want to get real about.
One way to do it like you mention is to just go with a mic with the tone you like and add the foam filter to tame the plosives noise.
RE20 is really one of the exceptions; it actually can do decent sounding recordable vocal track- right up on it, no extra filter needed.
Add directional and reasonably flat both on and off axis, tone that doesn't shift with distance and sounds pretty damn good to great on a lot of voices and about six other tasks..
That's actually quite a frickin unique combination set.

Very unlikely to be something wrong with the mic.

It's more likely the cable, or interference from something you're pointing the mic at.

Sounds great by the way.

Dude, what are you listening back on?

'RE20 boring' LOL

Almost every mic I've tried can pretty much sound like ass right up on it if you want to get real about.
One way to do it like you mention is to just go with a mic with the tone you like and add the foam filter to tame the plosives noise.
RE20 is really one of the exceptions; it actually can do decent sounding recordable vocal track- right up on it, no extra filter needed.
Add directional and reasonably flat both on and off axis, tone that doesn't shift with distance and sounds pretty damn good to great on a lot of voices and about six other tasks..
That's actually quite a frickin unique combination set.

lol i just woke up and realized the re20 had arrived. i unboxed it and tested it and was like lame. then laid back down lol. idk i think it was cause i just woke up. it sounds more natural than the re27 you can hear in the sound test i just made above. its not as crisp as the re27 though but def more natural. now i got a fucknig defective re20 god damnit. idk if to sell it to someone else or bitch at the guy i bought it from he has to of known about this shit.

Very unlikely to be something wrong with the mic.

It's more likely the cable, or interference from something you're pointing the mic at.

Sounds great by the way.

Dude, what are you listening back on?

ill test it with another cable and move it away from the computer. didnt happen with the re27 but you could be right. seems odd.

At worst it might come down the XRL connector being a little less snug than you'd want.

If you make this buzz happen, then wiggle the xlr cable at the mic barrel, you should know straight away.

If that's what's wrong, it's a very easy fix.

At worst it might come down the XRL connector being a little less snug than you'd want.

If you make this buzz happen, then wiggle the xlr cable at the mic barrel, you should know straight away.

If that's what's wrong, it's a very easy fix.
thats exactly what it is i just wiggled it and it stopped and started. ill try my other cable on it. which is much longer though god damnit wtf

Oh good. I've had that a few times with different mics/cables.

In the past I've just very VERY slightly separated the three pins inside the mics XLR barrel.

I mean barely a millimetre.

It's usually enough to make sure that the three pins all make solid contact.

About your general situation, what monitors or headphones are you using?

Before, I guessed that the problem could be down to your voice or the room acoustics, but I forgot it could easily be your monitoring setup.

I still just find it hard to believe that you don't like all these mics, especially when that re20 clip sounds tip top and the people on GS liked the re320 best out of your old comparison video!

Last edited:
Ok, so you're probably pickup up the lights or a power supply or something.
Some mics are more prone to it than others, but either way, I don't think I'd worry too much.

With regard to your overall journey, what are you referencing these mics on?
What speakers or headphones have you been using?

I just got to thinking that might be the root of the whole problem.

I thought your re20 clip sounded great, and I see the chaps at gearslutz liked the re320 when given the choice.

I said the problem was most likely your voice or your room, but of course, it could be your monitors.

i have M-Audio AV 40 Monitor Speakers. Had them for like 4 years now. Regarding the RE320 I used to have. I saw some people say that the bass roll off switch on that mic makes the mic sound bad for voice because its designed specifically for kick drums. With the bass enabled i found it to have a lingering metalic and hollow bass sound. I will be honest I only tried the bass switch a few times and i didnt think it sounded good at all. I also saw a shootout where the re320 got rated very poorly in comparison to many other mics when the bass roll off was on.

Like I said i regret what I said about the re20 a minute ago about it being boring. I was already mentally prepared to hate it because I was planning on selling one of the mics either the re20 or re27 but right now it seems like i might keep both. i will have to test them mroe i am trying to sell my current re27 cause i just ordered a better condition one for 300 dollars which is how much i bought the crappier one i have now which works fine but has a little bit of wear and no box. i will continue to say the re320 sucks for now though, lol. i used thta mic for a month and did at least a dozen commentaries with it and ocne i got the nd767a i realized i didnt like the re320 even more. i also had a stigma about it that it was a knock off mic and not up to par with the other re mics and is screwed over for vocals trying to be a instrument mic too. im not sure what im going to do with the re20 and re27 like i said i may lean towards one of them more in the coming days and want to sell one of them. i kind of have my mind stuck on condensers like an at4040 like i said. i seem to never be happy with what i got. watch me end up with a md441 in a few days or something, lol.

It's my catchphrase now; I could be wrong here, but.........

Those aren't exactly expensive monitors. Now that's not to say they aren't decent, but from your videos your room doesn't sound like it's treated.
That's potentially a very bad listening situation.
I've used samson a6 and alesis m1 actives in bad environments, and honestly, there's no point.
At uni I used mackies in a terrible room, but close sensible positioning and low volumes made a world of difference.

You used nasal and honkey to describe several mics which made me wonder about your voice, but is there any chance your monitoring setup just isn't good?
For the most part you describe the same problem across several mics, but to different extents.
That's what's making me think there's another problem at work here.

Do you have headphones to try out?
Obviously they can still be good or bad, but at least you take the room ambience out of the equation.

Alternatively, bring the speakers in close so you're literally a foot and half away from each, then turn down the volume.
Even set a wall of pillows to your left and your right temporarily.
That's not ideal, but it could dampen the room reflections enough to make a point.

Are your speakers pointed correctly? Equilateral triangle?
Are they at the right height? On a desktop is no good; They'd need to be raised 8" or so to be at ear height.

How do your mics sound now?

Dreamcaseal, I'm not out to prove you wrong or make you look silly; I'm out to help, and possibly save you some cash.
I mean, if you came back and said you tried all the above and now you know your room/monitors suck, then at least you'd be on a solid path to rectifying all this.

That said, you could just have a great ear and you've got these mics pegged.
I'm not being sarcastic.

I got a lot of what I say from other people after I agree with them. quite a few people say shure mics in general are honky and nasal and muddy. Right now I'm horribly disappointed with how much i like the re20. i didnt wanna keep it. :( oh god what if i sell the shiny re27 and keep this old clunker? ooooh god whyyyy oh goooood, lol. some of you advice and questions did just help me. i tilted my speakers towards me just now, lol.

i have a lot of mental excuses for why i wont be buying certain mics. i like trying to box myself into a specific mic. like you said my room isnt the best so a at4040 is probably overall not worth it. same excuses i made for an sm7b. i heard it can be nasal when slightly off axis and not as clear as a re20 etc. i also heard plenty of people say the boosted upper mids on the md421 suck and its crappier than a re20 for vocals. like i said ive had many people talk crap about the re27 in comparison to the re20. im slowly boxing myself in. i think im at the final show down between the re27 and re20 and i think i know subcontiously the re20 will win but i dont want it to. i need to read up more on why to hate the md441 i already know it has off axis problems and proximity effect. boom there we go. back to the re20. fuck the md441

Ok, cool. I'm glad to have helped, if even a little.

No matter what mic wins, you will only get happier over time.

If you like the re20 now, you'll like it more with good monitors, you'll love it when you treat your room, and you'll adore it through a classy preamp.

Researching other people's opinion is fine, but just be aware, you will find good and bad reviews for almost everything in existence.

If your monitoring chain is having a negative effect, think of it as shopping for a painting with yellow glasses on.
It really is a very similar thing.

If you happen to be shopping, btw, keep an eye out for the old cream md421s. ;)
They'll pry my 421n's out of my cold dead hands!

Back